Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 65 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

TGee

Record Breaker
Well, that’s another issue entirely!

Most skaters - including Jason and Yuzuru - peak later in the season, for good reason. From what I saw of Gabby in her GTSA skates, she made a good start on both programs but needs more time with the new FS.

We’ll see what happens, I guess.
I agree.

Gabby doesn't seem to have the confidence in the new jump layout at this point.

And her mastery of her new FS choreography is somewhat uneven as yet.

But as a fan I really welcome seeing senior national team members give their programs an early competitive trial during the national summer series even if they have an unfinished air about them.

Gabby has time to work on the new layout and programs, and will get feedback at Skate Canada's high performance camp in a few weeks.

Watch

Final Flight
We never did find out who went to Champs Camp with Jason.

I'm also curious about this, btw. Do they get accompanied by their coaches at all? Or maybe the coaches come in only on the day the actual test skates take place? They seem to have a lot of cool activities there, with cooking and puppy hugging and other nice things like that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm also curious about this, btw. Do they get accompanied by their coaches at all? Or maybe the coaches come in only on the day the actual test skates take place? They seem to have a lot of cool activities there, with cooking and puppy hugging and other nice things like that.

Some coaches have made their presence known — like Aljona Savchenko for the Knierms and Zimmerman for Denney/Frazier and the Cains for Jimmy Ma and Cain and LeDuc. Tom Z had posted a few things.

But I haven’t hear much from other coaches. Like who from Gadbois came for the 3 US teams. Did Igor or Pasquale come for Carriera/Pomadenko?

Last edited:

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Hi folks,

Just a reminder :pray:

As we kick off with the JGP, please refrain from using the "State of (national)" and Fan Fest threads to discuss competitions. As always, keep competition chat in the Competition forums.

Should we find that folks are discussing competition info in these threads, they will be closed until after the competition.

To clarify, we are simply asking that posters don't use these threads as a replacement for competition threads.

You can discuss a skater's performance and the overall results of a skater. Comment's like this are ok: "So-and-so got the bronze -- yay!" or "Trusova makes history with the first quad combo in competition" in the Edge. If someone wants to put that so-and-so landed a triple Axel in the respective FF, that is no problem.

However, there are folks who will inevitably try to use the national threads as a replacement for the competition threads, and that is what we want to avoid.

The pleasure of the competition threads is the feeling of sitting around the sports bar with your buddies all watching the action together and discussing play-by-plays and elements in depth.. Many people are actually watching on various platforms and like to make comments such as, "Did you see that? She fell on her triple flip in the warm-up?" Or, "What kind of a silly costume is that?"

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Stephen on winning his first ever JGP event! He was solid and so impressive, especially given he’s only 13.

Interesting that only Lee was with him in the knc - was Brian there? Perhaps since Lee was his primary coach for years, he just feels more comfortable with him

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Congratulations to Stephen on winning his first ever JGP event! He was solid and so impressive, especially given he’s only 13.

Interesting that only Lee was with him in the knc - was Brian there? Perhaps since Lee was his primary coach for years, he just feels more comfortable with him

Alison Schumacher is also at the comp and Lee is the only coach she lists, so it would have made sense for Lee to be the one to go. I don't think it's about comfort - we've seen Brian with Stephen at comps before (like Sectionals last year IIRC).

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Alison Schumacher is also at the comp and Lee is the only coach she lists, so it would have made sense for Lee to be the one to go. I don't think it's about comfort - we've seen Brian with Stephen at comps before (like Sectionals last year IIRC).

Thanks for that info, makes sense. I thought Haleth mentioned possibly having seen Brian in the audience, so I was wondering a bit. Anyway, Stephen did a great job.

TGee

Record Breaker
Thanks for that info, makes sense. I thought Haleth mentioned possibly having seen Brian in the audience, so I was wondering a bit. Anyway, Stephen did a great job.
Brian was mentioned in Skate Canada’s news release, which suggested he was part of the delegation.

So, I think we were looking for him there.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
In looking at the fall competition assignments for the many TCC athletes, I started to realize how much of a challenge it must be for the coaching team. There are so many high level junior and senior skaters that they really must have to coordinate carefully to make sure every athlete going off to compete is covered, and that the training schedule for the others continues as usual when coaches are gone.

Anyway, whether Brian was there (just not in knc) or there was a change in plans and he remained in Toronto, I’m sure he was thrilled, and also sure that Stephen was in good hands with Lee.

Haleth

On the Ice
Sorry, I had to take a few days off from this thread so I would not say something unfortunate to the commenters who barely used the thread and then complained. I'll focus instead on being grateful to Tavi and anyone else who defended the thread and were able to convince the mods to re-open the thread, and to the mods for listening to being open to changing their minds for a good cause. :gclap:

I'll make a separate post about recent Team Cricket things.

Haleth

On the Ice
Congrats to Team Cricket members at JGP Slovakia. You rock! :luv17:

I was so worried about Stephen having the pressure not just of a first JGP event, but also knowing that there are extra expectations placed on him because of his talent. Hopefully his family and coaching team are helping him manage social media to minimize that. Regardless, I was very proud of him being able to work through his nerves even when he fell. I'm also glad that despite those nerves he was able to show he is not only good at jumps but has some nice spins and is paying attention to the music. He has a long way to go in many areas but he's in good hands and many excellent models around him at TCC-- both old and new TCC members. I hope he and the other juniors experiencing the JGP are able to enjoy what they accomplished and not just dwell on what needs to be improved.

Congrats too to Lilian Binzari and Brandon and Brooke (pairs) for navigating the event as well! I'll have to say more on them later.

Update on the Who Was at CC Mystery: Late last night a friend sent me a link to a small Insta account in the Muskoka area that she found because she's a Javi fan and watches his tag. It showed Javi and Brian doing some coaching there, likely this week and Paige posted a group pic with Javi and Brian (and Doug Haw) this morning so it looks like Brian may have gone to the charity ice show (usually his baby and a sign of his gratitude to the ice club that nurtured him as a skater) and ran a camp for local skaters up there. I'm surprised he's not with Stephen but so far S seems pretty low key at events (not w/o nerves to be sure) and Lee has skaters both weeks at the JGP (Conrad next week) so perhaps it was felt best that he stay in Europe for 2 weeks (or 3 if he stays for Joseph). That same friend watched the men's SP and and felt the guy I saw at the boards looked similar to Brian but def wasn't him. So it seems like Brian's running a camp and charity show this weekend. Tracy doesn't seem to be in any Muskoka photos or videos so far, so she may be making sure that Ghislain isn't permitting any unauthorized 4As happen back in TO :laugh: She (or Ghislain) may have gone to CO first, but no idea if that's the case. Someone on the Jason thread found out that Karen might have gone with Jason because she does have US certification now, though time may have been tight since Karen and Ernest were with Lilian in Bratislava. I'm not sure how much coaches need to do at CC so if it's more of a formality, then maybe the coach events are crammed into a day and therefore either Tracy or Karen may have been free.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Congrats Stephen! :clap: Very nice JGP debut

I can't watch this live, but go Alison Schumacher for Ladies' free tomorrow :hap10:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Someone on the Jason thread found out that Karen might have gone with Jason because she does have US certification now, though time may have been tight since Karen and Ernest were with Lilian in Bratislava. I'm not sure how much coaches need to do at CC so if it's more of a formality, then maybe the coach events are crammed into a day and therefore either Tracy or Karen may have been free.

Was Karen actually with Lilian? In the KnC it was just Ernest for both programs.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Haleth, I appreciate your TCC posts, regardless of where the thread is located. :)

Someone on the Jason thread found out that Karen might have gone with Jason because she does have US certification now, though time may have been tight since Karen and Ernest were with Lilian in Bratislava.

I was the one who brought up Karen in the Jason thread but I have no information about whether she attended CC. I mentioned her because I've been thinking forward to ACI and wondering which coach will be with Jason there. I found out that Karen is the only TCC coach besides Brian and Tracy who has the US certification and there will be so many TCC skaters competing at ACI that the coaching duties are going to have to be split. Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts about how that split will be made? Brian will obviously give priority to Yuzuru but beyond that?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Haleth, I appreciate your TCC posts, regardless of where the thread is located. :)

I was the one who brought up Karen in the Jason thread but I have no information about whether she attended CC. I mentioned her because I've been thinking forward to ACI and wondering which coach will be with Jason there. I found out that Karen is the only TCC coach besides Brian and Tracy who has the US certification and there will be so many TCC skaters competing at ACI that the coaching duties are going to have to be split. Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts about how that split will be made? Brian will obviously give priority to Yuzuru but beyond that?

The US certification won't matter at international events like ACI, only US domestic ones like US Nationals (and maybe Champs Camp).

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The US certification won't matter at international events like ACI, only US domestic ones like US Nationals (and maybe Champs Camp).

Thanks for the info. That doesn't seem to match up with the coaching requirements listed on the USFSA chart though.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/Coaches Requirements Chart.pdf

Are you saying the certification requirement (Required - Professional Coach/Choreographer CER (4 courses - 1 in each topic area) in the column Coach Traveling to Competitions as Part of Team USA only applies to US coaches and that international coaches of Team USA skaters have different requirements?