Stars on Ice USA 2023 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice USA 2023

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Stars on Ice Canada doing meet and greets? I want to know how it's being done so I can be prepared for my show.

I don't want to post because it is not a skater's IG, but if you go to Jason's IG and see his tags, a fan from Canada has posted pics from the M&G.

It looks they have a long table with the skaters sitting next to each other. It looks like you can certainly give presents to the skaters individually and this person has photos "across the table" as well as individually with Jason.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Can anyone confirm this? Is Loena doing the whole USA tour as well? I hope so!
Yes, she's doing the whole tour!

I'm wondering when Nathan, Ilia and Isabeau will or if they have already learned the Stars on Ice choreography (as the rest of the US tour are already part of the Canadian tour. First US show is my show in Anaheim a week from today on the 20th and the Canadian tour goes on through the 18th. So I'm curious if they will practice with the others sometime during the Canadian tour or learn it in the two days after it's over! I think both Isabeau and Ilia were seen in Colorado during the Jump On It camp right now so just wondering the logistics of it all.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, she's doing the whole tour!

I'm wondering when Nathan, Ilia and Isabeau will or if they have already learned the Stars on Ice choreography (as the rest of the US tour are already part of the Canadian tour. First US show is my show in Anaheim a week from today on the 20th and the Canadian tour goes on through the 18th. So I'm curious if they will practice with the others sometime during the Canadian tour or learn it in the two days after it's over! I think both Isabeau and Ilia were seen in Colorado during the Jump On It camp right now so just wondering the logistics of it all.
They'll learn it 3 days to a week prior to the tour starting. Although, the Japanese shows of SOI happened already (if it was same choreo) and Ilia was part of the cast, so I think only Nathan and Isabeau will have to learn it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan would be nice but they already have 4 strong men single skaters. Kurt would need to bow out or share some dates with Keegan. I would like to see Kaori or Loena added.
This is Kurt’s last tour. So maybe next year?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They'll learn it 3 days to a week prior to the tour starting. Although, the Japanese shows of SOI happened already (if it was same choreo) and Ilia was part of the cast, so I think only Nathan and Isabeau will have to learn it.

For your sake, I hope the choreo of the group bits is rather less shambolic...

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yeah, hopefully Ilia picked up some of the choreography then. For whatever reason he wasn't part of the core cast that did the opening and closing plus the Bond number for the Japan tour. Jason, Chock & Bates, Giles & Poirier, Knierim & Frazier, Satoko and Loena (who are all in the Canada and US version of Stars on Ice) along with Koshiro Shimada (who only did that Japan tour) were the core cast. Ilia was part of a special group number that was only done for Japan with Mai, Kaori and I think Koshiro. And I think before the Canada tour started they said they only had a few days of rehearsal too, so sounds about right!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe my show is less than 20 days away. I'll probably also talk to Jason and Piper and Paul. I'm going to try to figure out how to keep what I want to say short and sweet. Because if anyone knows what the St. Olaf stories from the Golden Girls are like....I can be like that, but on steroids.....

sheetz

Record Breaker
Yeah, hopefully Ilia picked up some of the choreography then. For whatever reason he wasn't part of the core cast that did the opening and closing plus the Bond number for the Japan tour. Jason, Chock & Bates, Giles & Poirier, Knierim & Frazier, Satoko and Loena (who are all in the Canada and US version of Stars on Ice) along with Koshiro Shimada (who only did that Japan tour) were the core cast. Ilia was part of a special group number that was only done for Japan with Mai, Kaori and I think Koshiro. And I think before the Canada tour started they said they only had a few days of rehearsal too, so sounds about right!
So the answer is that Ilia and Isabeau only did the finale, while Nathan learned all 4 group numbers in one day.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Stars on Ice Anaheim review - great show, well skated with no falls. Yeah, I was disappointed Ilia and Isabeau were not in the group numbers, only in the finale and barely that - only at the end, but I get that this year was different as the core cast was set and there wasn't time with the wonderful exception of Nathan to learn four group numbers. I also thought it felt like the US tour was a bit of an afterthought to the Canada tour and some of it didn't quite make sense when it moved down here to the US. All the Kurt goodbye stuff felt a bit weird since we hadn't seen him on our tour in a decade and had already kinda said goodbye before so it was a little like "Welcome Back" and now "Goodbye". I heard people behind me when the show started say "Oh I didn't know Kurt was going to be here". And the James Bond screen parts still had Elvis and Patrick in it... I thought "Couldn't they have shot an alternate version for the US?" I'm sure some people thought "who was that?" Speaking of the group numbers I enjoyed them as always but I liked last year's better. This year's felt short, especially the finale. After last year's wonderful Elton John medley that was nice and long this one was so short. I like the music but I want more skating! The James Bond medley was fun but I didn't really get a storyline (Were they all James? Only some of them?) and it ended rather anticlimactically. Again, I realize they didn't have the time to develop long numbers so I appreciate what we did get. (I also don't understand why they have seemingly moved the signature Stars on Ice kickline into the opening number instead of the closing for the past two years.) And apparently the Tour is called Origins - was the Canada one called that too? I didn't get what that it meant. Almost like - well we need a name for this year's tour - oh Origins sounds nice. Onto the solo numbers...

Isabeau was sassy in her Material Girl number, it was nice to see a different side to her. Then her signature The Swan program was just beautiful. Loena was great and I really enjoyed her though both numbers were similar in style but she does that style so well. Satoko was lovely, surprised she only did double axels (one double toe that I wasn't sure if was a planned triple or not), but she really taps into emotion in both numbers. Alissa only did the one program Chasing Cars and did not jump. She still has her graceful spirals and spins and bright smile to charm us. Nathan got the hugest roar when he opened the show, he's still such a superstar! Triple flips and backflips galore throughout the evening from Nathan. And kudos to him for learning all the group numbers so fast! Hold Me Closer had a lot of lovely smooth skating and Mr. Blue Sky had fun energy. It was funny at the end of his bows he went the wrong way to exit and had to make a uturn back to the tunnel which he laughed off with us. Jason was amazing and a huge crowd favorite - great range... from Backstreet Boys super high energy and dance to the lyrical and elegant Impossible Dream. Ilia hit all his jumps in both numbers (triple axel, triple flip and triple lutz in both I think) and both he and the audience loves his new jump spin move - do we have a name for that move yet? He did his freeskate and the Rag'n'Bone Man program. Kurt did a lot of double axels and tried a triple toe that he stepped out of with hands down so I think he wanted redemption for it and in the final bows he did another triple toe with only a slight step out. Love his rink long spread eagle and running in place footwork. I was surprised he went for a backflip which he hasn't done in decades! This one was a little scary - had to put a hand down but 'whew' made it. Alexa and Brandon were fabulous - such great pair moves... throw triple flip in both programs (was blocked from view for the first one due to some people looking for seats but it sounded like it was successful). We so long had no pairs in SOI so they have been such a wonderful part of the tour this year and last. Gilles & Poirier - Evita was nice, but the John Denver medley was so fun - loved Jason and Satoko joining in and the audience clapping along. Madison and Evan were wonderful - Nightcall was very haunting and Let's Dance was just high energy. Madi's dress was SO sparkly in person and Evan's outfit was still as non-sparkly as on TV lol. I really wanted to see their Free Dance so I was happy they did the FD lift where she lifts her leg over so slowly in Let's Dance instead of their usual RD lift and they did the split move in the James Bond number. So I still got to see my two favorite FD moments. Nathan, Alexa and Brandon and Kurt introduce them as joining the World Champion club - that was cute.

All in all a fun show with great skaters. It was pretty well attended - it was definitely fuller last year (Olympic year and all), but it still was a nice size for recent years. Sorry if I rambled on! Hope many of you get to attend this year.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
How long did the show last for?
Maybe about two and a half hours with intermission. They do another plea for the Holt organization after the end of the first act and before the zamboni comes out - I thought they could have done it while the zamboni was already going because the guy talked a LONG time and then after he finished talking they announce a twenty minute intermission.