2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mmmm....no. Nathan Chen is 19. Keegan is 26.

Keegan skated with Richard Dornbush, and Armin Mahbanoozadeh. I think Jason was a year or two behind them. I don't remember Nathan at all from from the last Nationals I attended in 2011. It was Keegan's Hulk year and Nathan was definitely a Junior back then. I just checked. The Junior Men's Champion was Max Aaron and Nathan was the Novice Champion.

Tanager

On the Ice
Totally agree.

And I'm also looking forward to seeing two new Junior pairs that are scheduled to be there.

Who are the two new pairs you're looking forward to, TGee?

On the Grand Prix watch, Muramoto/Reed’s split now puts Carolane and Shane in default fourth position at NHK Trophy. They’d need to make a very sharp leap in scores in the early season to get past Zahorski/Guerrero or Hawayek/Baker and onto the podium, though (or else, cross their fingers and hope for somebody to trip and fall).

The fresh joy of a fresh quad - getting to watch and see how teams like S/F develop and grow over the four years, beginning with the first post-Olympic GP circuit. It will be good to see them at NHK and Skate Canada. :)

TGee

Record Breaker
Who are the two new pairs you're looking forward to, TGee?

:)

Matthieu Ostiguy with Chloe Choinard

Benjamin Mimar with Chloe Panetta...

Unless I'm muddled..

I'm split / shuffle beyond it at this point.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Matthieu Ostiguy with Chloe Choinard

Benjamin Mimar with Chloe Panetta...

Unless I'm muddled..

I'm split / shuffle beyond it at this point.

i am looking forward to see brasseur bardei and marvaldi villeneuve ;)

furyflame

Rinkside
I'll be hoping Gabby, Keegan, and Nam don't withdraw from the GTSA Summer Skate, though I know I'll be seeing Gabby and Keegan in Montreal.

I just got into skating this year but have become a huge fan in the mean time. I want to go to the GTSA Summer Skate (it would be my first time seeing a competition in person). Was wondering if you have to buy tickets or if you can just drop in when you want?

TGee

Record Breaker
I just got into skating this year but have become a huge fan in the mean time. I want to go to the GTSA Summer Skate (it would be my first time seeing a competition in person). Was wondering if you have to buy tickets or if you can just drop in when you want?
Yes, it's a great way to see the up and coming skaters.

The national summer series are festival seating, and admission by the day purchased at the door.

It's not costly. The venues aren't always ideal, and sometimes there are events of interest running at the same time as there are multiple rinks.

You may wish to bring a warm coat and a seating pad if you plan to stay the day.

The officials and announcers on the stands wear fleece lined pants and winter coats so you won't stand out.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's my 1080p fancam of Joseph Phan's winning SP from the Quebec Summer Championships (hopefully it won't be taken down): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rrize

It was such a joy to watch this performance in person; there's something magical about the way he skates. :love: :luv17:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here's my 1080p fancam of Joseph Phan's winning SP from the Quebec Summer Championships (hopefully it won't be taken down): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rrize

It was such a joy to watch this performance in person; there's something magical about the way he skates. :love: :luv17:

nice to hear your squealinggggggg at the end ;) i think it was you wasn't it? LOL

WOW! Jo almost makes me forget there use to be a guy called Patrick..... he is so beautiful to watch... ok.. i exaggerate. Patrick's footwork still should be studied and serve as source to inspire these younglings... but Jo has his own way to meander on the ice and his spins are so good...

maybe i should switch my name to 4everphan ;)

furyflame

Rinkside
Yes, it's a great way to see the up and coming skaters.

The national summer series are festival seating, and admission by the day purchased at the door.

It's not costly. The venues aren't always ideal, and sometimes there are events of interest running at the same time as there are multiple rinks.

You may wish to bring a warm coat and a seating pad if you plan to stay the day.

The officials and announcers on the stands wear fleece lined pants and winter coats so you won't stand out.

Ok this is all very exciting, thank you for letting me know how it works! Gabby Daleman is really what sparked my interest in the world of skating so it'll be great to see her new free on the Sunday.

I'm probably going alone so if any one else from GoldenSkate wants a buddy, don't hesitate to reach out!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
nice to hear your squealinggggggg at the end ;) i think it was you wasn't it? LOL

Guilty as charged! :biggrin: I tried to stay as quiet as possible and not "ruin" the video, but I just HAD to let out a modest (yes, that was modest by my standards :p) fangirl cheer after such a lovely program.

WOW! Jo almost makes me forget there use to be a guy called Patrick..... he is so beautiful to watch... ok.. i exaggerate. Patrick's footwork still should be studied and serve as source to inspire these younglings... but Jo has his own way to meander on the ice and his spins are so good...

I know what you mean! He now moves more elegantly on the ice compared to last season, so I see the similarities between the two skaters even more than before. As we've discussed in the past, Joseph has Chan-like qualities without being a carbon copy of Patrick.

maybe i should switch my name to 4everphan ;)

That would be totally AWESOME! :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We'll have to wait and see how many new teams we end up with. We already have Galiyanova/Lochhead. Olivia McIsaac, Alicia Fabbri, Claudio Pietrantonio and Lee Royer were all on IPS and aren't anymore, so they may have new partners. Though I believe Pietrantonio said on his profile that he also has Italian citizenship, so if he does we don't know if it's for Canada. Someone on another forum said both he and Fabbri have new partners.

Jason Chan is on IPS looking for a senior partner, and he's at Gadbois now. He lists Benjamin Brisebois as one of his many coaches.

Kaitlyn Chubb and Jade McCue are both looking for junior partners on IPS.

Elliot Graham, Parker Brown, and Tommy Tang retired.

All in all, of the twenty people involved in the splits, we have 3 retiring, 2 in a new partnership, 3 currently on IPS, and 4 who were on IPS. That leaves 8 who we don't know what their plans are: Ashlynne Stairs, Valerie Taillefer, Olivia Han, Keelee Gingrich, Alex Gunther and Gabriel Clemente.

ETA: Keelee Gringrich also retired.

Hasn't Elliot Graham teamed with Ashlynne Stairs? They competed at Minto, and are on the roster for JGP Kaunas LTU.

Haleth

On the Ice

I remember looking this up some time ago, but I think last year they charged $5 per day. I assume you pay at the door, as I don't recall seeing links to ticket sales to last year or this year's event webpages. I don't know about credit and debit cards so I'd bring cash just in case, more than $5 in case my memory is wrong or prices have gone up this year.

I hope to be there several days, starting from Thursday evening. At a minimum I want to watch the junior and senior men and the senior ladies, but I hope to make some other events. I realize that juniors competing at JGP Slovakia or Austria may withdraw. So I won't be surprised if, for example, Stephen and Aurora do not appear.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I spoke to Phan after the long program, and he has confirmed that he's now training at the TCC with Orser. (Most of you probably already knew that, but just in case there were some folks who weren't sure, it's official that Joseph has moved to Toronto.)

He was disappointed with tonight's performance, and I had to promise him that I wouldn't upload my fancam, so here's the Junior Men medal ceremony as a consolation prize: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rtp5q

I no longer have access to the competition thread, so feel free to share the info and/or the video link there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I spoke to Phan after the long program, and he has confirmed that he's now training at the TCC with Orser. (Most of you probably already knew that, but just in case there were some folks who weren't sure, it's official that Joseph has moved to Toronto.)

He was disappointed with tonight's performance, and I had to promise him that I wouldn't upload my fancam, so here's the Junior Men medal ceremony as a consolation prize: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rtp5q

I no longer have access to the competition thread, so feel free to share the info and/or the video link there.
that's nice that he agreed to speak to you and even give you information that has not been "officially released" yet many have raised doubts.

and nice of you in return not to share the fancam LOL.. poor guy, he should know that CQE is archiving the files... it will be there for posterity... if he doesn't like that, he will need to not pop so many jumps ;)

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The link to my fancam of Nic Nadeau's SP is on his fan fest, in case anyone was interested: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56592-Nicolas-Nadeau&p=2153273&viewfull=1#post2153273 It's the same program as last season.

that's nice that he agreed to speak to you and even give you information that has not been "officially released" yet many have raised doubts.

and nice of you in return not to share the fancam LOL.. poor guy, he should know that CQE is archiving the files... it will be there for posterity... if he doesn't like that, he will need to not pop so many jumps ;)

I suppose if a fan has "dirt" on Joseph (i.e. "embarrassing" footage of a not-so-great free skate), he's willing to spill the beans. ;)

He can't stop Patinage Québec from archiving the livestreams, of course, but he'd much prefer it if the fs fans who weren't in Pierrefonds don't scrutinize a LP that he's ashamed of in glorious 1080p and with a different camera angle. Poor kid, he really was upset with himself, but he swore to me that he'll learn from his mistakes and that he'll do better on the JGP circuit. :yes: