2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

starla16

Medalist
If Gumennik wins in Italy in last JGP, there could be 4 russian men in the HGP Final, has this happened before ?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Im so impressed by Danielyan, I think he totally has an X factor. He has some Havier vibes, what an expressive young man!

starla16

Medalist
Im so impressed by Danielyan, I think he totally has an X factor. He has some Havier vibes, what an expressive young man!

but he needs to be consistent, he has one of the best skating skills and jump flows but mentally weak.
2 silvers he has a chance to be in JGP Final, but it all depends on Gumennik and Grassl results

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

He is incredible, but dat song Mozalev has for his short, lol, it was new & special to me when I was his age, so I can’t help but cheer for the kid :) fingers crossed we do see all 4 in the final!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Gumennik wins in Italy in last JGP, there could be 4 russian men in the HGP Final, has this happened before ?

Yes, and it wasn't even that long ago :slink:

but he needs to be consistent, he has one of the best skating skills and jump flows but mentally weak.
2 silvers he has a chance to be in JGP Final, but it all depends on Gumennik and Grassl results

I wouldn't say he is mentally weak.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Artur’s ticket to the final depends on whether Grassl or Yablokov have chances of winning gold over Gumennik.
Right now, doesn’t seem that likely to happen, so if Gumennik wins, Artur is going to jgpf.

starla16

Medalist
Artur’s ticket to the final depends on whether Grassl or Yablokov have chances of winning gold over Gumennik.
Right now, doesn’t seem that likely to happen, so if Gumennik wins, Artur is going to jgpf.

its not a done deal, Gumennik is not consistent either :slink::noshake::laugh2:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
These are the possible medal contenders in Italy:
Gumennik 15 (222.14)
Grassl 11 (228.64)
Kutovoi 11 (198.06)
Malinin 9 (201.72)

If Gumennik wins and Grassl is second, Artur would go to JGPF, but if it will be the other way around, he would not. If Kutovoi wins, Artur would need both Gumennik and Grassl out of the medal postitions. It will be a thrilling competition for Artur.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
These are the possible medal contenders in Italy:
Gumennik 15 (222.14)
Grassl 11 (228.64)
Kutovoi 11 (198.06)
Malinin 9 (201.72)

If Gumennik wins and Grassl is second, Artur would go to JGPF, but if it will be the other way around, he would not. If Kutovoi wins, Artur would need both Gumennik and Grassl out of the medal postitions. It will be a thrilling competition for Artur.

I thought Yablokov was there instead of Kutovoi?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I thought Yablokov was there instead of Kutovoi?

He is. Yablokov that is. I don't see him winning though but the ice is slippery.

You are right, at the time I was writing it the table of men standings was still incomplete, now it is corrected and Kutovoi is only a substitude. So list of the medal contenders looks this way:

Gumennik 15 (222.14)
Grassl 11 (228.64)
Yablokov 11 (207.68)
Malinin 9 (201.72)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Makar Ignatov won Nebelhorn Trophy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFm1uMMuEQ4

After a bad SP he was able to fight and come back with a clean free skate.

Good start for Rukavicin boys.

and yet he didn't win in Zagreb again.

You look at Gumennik, Mozalev, they are maybe not as artistic but they keep it together with the quads.

Also while Danielian artistically is so impressive, great skating skills and posture, he has to learn to keep performing even when he makes mistakes: sometimes it almost seems like after a mistake he looks embarassed of himself and start to look down, while for example look at Torgashev: he made a lot of mistakes in his free skate but still sold every second of that program.

ewdokia

On the Ice
You look at Gumennik, Mozalev, they are maybe not as artistic but they keep it together with the quads.

Also while Danielian artistically is so impressive, great skating skills and posture, he has to learn to keep performing even when he makes mistakes: sometimes it almost seems like after a mistake he looks embarassed of himself and start to look down, while for example look at Torgashev: he made a lot of mistakes in his free skate but still sold every second of that program.

Would you please stop constantly stressing how unstable Artur is compared to Mozalev or Gumenik? Have you seen the latter ones skating at age 15? When they just learned their quads? Gumenik didn’t even have a stable 3A that time. :rolleye:

Last year Artur was beating Mozalev regularly right for that reason: as Andrei was not able to skate clean when doing quads. Both are about 1-2 years older than Artur. They simply had more time to get their quads stable.

Take Artur’s medal count at age 15 and then compare it to the other two. And then take into account that in his novice year’s Artur probably had much worse training conditions in his hometown Wolgograd than Andrei or Petr. The fact alone that that time he managed to stay in competition with the Petersburg and Moscovite boys tells you something about mental toughness. Plus Artur tends to skate better when it counts most (see Junior Worlds, I wouldn’t say that of Gumenik or Mozalev :p).

In addition I think he showed a lot of fighting spirit yesterday. You could see his disappointment after the mistake at the 3L, but you could almost feel how he brought himself back into the program, not letting it go and fighting for each element. Actually he was a real gladiator there. :thumbsup:

The problem I see it that Artur is almost too much pressuring himself. And his team needs to work on his reactions after his skates. When he left the ice after the free, you could get the impression it was a dreadful skate and worst of the worst, though it totally wasn’t compared to the others. :hslap:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and yet he didn't win in Zagreb again.

Wow, it's like you're peeved that nussnacker (and others) had the audacity to praise Artur (and I'm assuming not Mozalev/Gumennik) and you just couldn't resist throwing negativity. My goodness, what does Mozalev and Gumennik have to do with nussnacker's statement about Artur's X-factor? Why the need to tear this (or any) skater down? That was so unnecessary.

All the 2003 guys need time. Let's not compare them to Gumennik who at 15 was once in their spot. He improved, they can too.

Also while Danielian artistically is so impressive, great skating skills and posture, he has to learn....

Well yeah, he will learn, he is ONLY 15. He's learning now.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
You are right, at the time I was writing it the table of men standings was still incomplete, now it is corrected and Kutovoi is only a substitude. So list of the medal contenders looks this way:

Gumennik 15 (222.14)
Grassl 11 (228.64)
Yablokov 11 (207.68)
Malinin 9 (201.72)

It is a bit odd that two 2nd places do not guarantee entry, but I guess the first position gives most points... Well, no point in guessing right now, it’s just one week to see the final event before Torino.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Would you please stop constantly stressing how unstable Artur is compared to Mozalev or Gumenik? Have you seen the latter ones skating at age 15? When they just learned their quads? Gumenik didn’t even have a stable 3A that time. :rolleye:

Last year Artur was beating Mozalev regularly right for that reason: as Andrei was not able to skate clean when doing quads. Both are about 1-2 years older than Artur. They simply had more time to get their quads stable.

Take Artur’s medal count at age 15 and then compare it to the other two. And then take into account that in his novice year’s Artur probably had much worse training conditions in his hometown Wolgograd than Andrei or Petr. The fact alone that that time he managed to stay in competition with the Petersburg and Moscovite boys tells you something about mental toughness. Plus Artur tends to skate better when it counts most (see Junior Worlds, I wouldn’t say that of Gumenik or Mozalev :p).

In addition I think he showed a lot of fighting spirit yesterday. You could see his disappointment after the mistake at the 3L, but you could almost feel how he brought himself back into the program, not letting it go and fighting for each element. Actually he was a real gladiator there. :thumbsup:

The problem I see it that Artur is almost too much pressuring himself. And his team needs to work on his reactions after his skates. When he left the ice after the free, you could get the impression it was a dreadful skate and worst of the worst, though it totally wasn’t compared to the others. :hslap:

Andrei Mozalev won his first event last season at the age of 15 with the quad toe, and missed the final and Junior Worlds for basically only 2 bad skates. (more understandable when you have quad in my opinion)

You're right about him being able to deliver under pressure at the big events although i'd argue RusFed gave him the benefit of the doubt for two seasons in a row with tickets for Junior Worlds, despite not great performances at the JGP events. All the other russian skaters don't have these huge help, if they bomb their early events, they're almost gone for good, despite the so called "lack of depth" (which is false in my opinion)

It reminds me of the junior days of Adelina Sotnikova vs the others.

Wow, it's like you're peeved that nussnacker (and others) had the audacity to praise Artur (and I'm assuming not Mozalev/Gumennik) and you just couldn't resist throwing negativity. My goodness, what does Mozalev and Gumennik have to do with nussnacker's statement about Artur's X-factor? Why the need to tear this (or any) skater down? That was so unnecessary.

All the 2003 guys need time. Let's not compare them to Gumennik who at 15 was once in their spot. He improved, they can too.

Well yeah, he will learn, he is ONLY 15. He's learning now.

Nah i didn't peeve, and if that is how it reads that comment then sorry. I'm not judging nussnacker preferences, though not a mystery that personally among the muscovites i prefer Samsonov and in general i think SPB coaching style is better for the boys (step by step approach rather than rushing to get it done all at once)

Mine is more frustration when you watch the talented skater that "is supposed to win" because of the talent which is undeniable (he has the potential to become a star) and certainly a little bit of home push, and yet he doesn't for silly mistakes, partially his and from the coaches.

It's not the end of the world absolutely, but some of those issues needs to be addressed now that the pressure is lower.

In general russian boys are doing better than the girls this season:

4 gold medals so far from 3 different skaters vs only 2 gold from Kamila Valieva alone.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, I haven't watched the juniors, but out of curiosity I compared the scores between Nebelhorn and the JGP - I know one should not do this, but still.

I'm not sure why you deem Ignatov, who scored 220.51, a success - while Danielian, who scored 223.82, is a failure?

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Y’all chill out. Look at how Artur did last season, he has come a long way in a short time. His 3A is the most consistent of all the junior men [emoji1377] his artistry has improved a lot too. The quad is still pending and he has some issues with a triple or two in the FS, but he’s still learning how to put it all together. Mozalev at 15 had a stable 3A and 4T yes but he matured earlier so he has an advantage. At 15 Gumennik didn’t even have a stable 3A. His 3A is still a little whack, but they’re all boys growing and learning, so let’s just trust the process :) Artur is very hard on himself because he’s a perfectionist, but his FS at Croatia wasn’t even bad