2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Perhaps the competitive state of any of these young skaters, many still boys, depends on their daily surroundings in the rink? And of course the psychology of their trainers.

Samsonov is part of a team of both boys and girls, training together, supporting each other since the different genders are not direct competitors (apart for attention from the trainers).
I think the effect of training together with girls really benefits him and it also influences how the trainers work with him in the same sessions alongside the girls.
There isn't this constant need to be tough, strong and manly all the time.
Trainers not cracking the whip at every occasion, not constantly scolding (read back the Goncharenko interview) IMO makes for a more balanced athlete.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Samsonov is the hope of russia. already making records in juniors I wont bank on Aliev or Kolyada as both are inconsistent.
Samarin only has jumps and not very stable either.

Daniil is amazing, but let's keep in mind that he does not yet have a consistent quad. He fell on the 4Lz at both JGP events, and it was called under both times. And he fell on it at test skates. He also has a lot of growing to do. But huge potential, for sure.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Great weekend for russian men :yahoo:
It's true that daniil has to grow ... but I think he's attitude and training with Eteri's girls it's what going to make him sucede in the future ...

For me the surprise this weekend was Vladimir Samoylov ... I didn't liked very much of the interpretation of the programs but if you're men and don't fall ... you have my attention... so is he doing any challenger?

cell

On the Ice
I have a feeling Samsonov is going to be a new target, with all the ridiculous outrage I've seen this weekend over his "undeserved" GOE, PCS and gifts of Russian judges/technical controllers. :rolleye: I mean this whole novel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FigureSkat...oring_of_the_junior_mens_event_at_baltic_cup/

I just can't with this drama queen post:

"So, I’ve been debating all day in discussion thread for the event about the egregious scores of this event but I wanted to create a whole post about why I feel that this scoring sets a really dangerous precedent for the scoring of future junior events as I feel that this is important to discuss." :drama: :rolleye:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Undeserved definitely not but personally i found Kagiyama and Grassl programs much more interesting.

Daniil really tried to sell it towards the end but the packaging was a rehash of Egor Rukhin and Erokhov old programs to the exact same Josh Groban song and the choreography itself is very generic.

Besides that the quality on all the elements besides the 4ltz is undeniable and he had more difficult combinations than the japanese.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Great weekend for russian men :yahoo:
It's true that daniil has to grow ... but I think he's attitude and training with Eteri's girls it's what going to make him sucede in the future ...

For me the surprise this weekend was Vladimir Samoylov ... I didn't liked very much of the interpretation of the programs but if you're men and don't fall ... you have my attention... so is he doing any challenger?
Vovan isn't currently entered in any Challenger events. In fact, I don't think he's done one since 2017-18. He's been bouncing from coach to coach and struggling to make jumps happen in competition for a while now, but this is probably the best I've seen him in two years. He's never been particularly expressive, but he has all of the quads (except for axel, obviously). I've always said he could be a contender if he could put together some clean (ish) programs, and here he is.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Vovan isn't currently entered in any Challenger events. In fact, I don't think he's done one since 2017-18. He's been bouncing from coach to coach and struggling to make jumps happen in competition for a while now, but this is probably the best I've seen him in two years. He's never been particularly expressive, but he has all of the quads (except for axel, obviously). I've always said he could be a contender if he could put together some clean (ish) programs, and here he is.

:handw: For a russian man to be a contender you just have to not fall or not to fall to much ... I think after that program he is a contender ... so will be russian cup hoping for the nationals ... the host spot of Rostecolm GP is occupied?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
He is so just amazing and with a proper technique! He deserves so much more credit!

Kolyada is one of the skaters with the highest potential, but with terrible consistency as well. If he would execute such jumps on regular basis, then he would receive much more admiration but he won't if on every single great skate he woud have three bad ones.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Final Standings of Stage 1 St. Petersburg Cup Juniors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCATEFHzAW0
http://fskating.spb.ru/images/result/1920/Cup1SPb/CAT003RS.HTM

1st Andrei Kutovoi 234.08
2nd Nikolai Ugozhaev 226.58
3rd Evgeny Semenenko 226.01
------------------------
4th Mikhail Polyanskiy 225.26

Interesting to note here, power is slowly shifting in SPB, Veronika Daineko's group from Moskvina's club is more and more bringing results, the first two skaters here comes from that group, and obviously they have Gumennik also.

Judges did reward Andrei Kutovoi's superior artistry, he also tried the 3A both in the SP and FS and landed it in both occasions (underrotated in the protocols but it's pretty close), the rest was cleanly done.

Nikolai Ugozhaev was a nice surprise: decent skating skills and posture, some good performance qualities as well, he has the 3A already (beautiful 3a+3t in the free), some mistakes in the free including a fall in one of the two lutzes but overall pretty solid.

I think Semenenko (coached by Alexei Mishin, Mishina and Gachinski were there) was expected to win here, he landed 4T and 4S in the free skate both called underrotated (the call on the quad sal was maybe harsh), after that he lost points a bit on everything: only 1a, 2ltz-3t, spins levels and steps sequence also but beautiful 3f-3t-2lo in the second half. He has a great potential but he needs to keep it together

In 4th but very close to the podium, Mikhail Polyanskiy from Rukavicin group. Interesting he's skating to Sound of Silence just like his team mate Aliev. It was a pretty good outing for him, no quads or 3a but consistent with his contents, decent skating skills he even attempted a 3ltz-3lo at the end of his FS, step-out and a little underrotated.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Kolyada is one of the skaters with the highest potential, but with terrible consistency as well. If he would execute such jumps on regular basis, then he would receive much more admiration but he won't if on every single great skate he woud have tree bad ones.

Only three? That's almost a compliment. And I love him, but his consistency is non-existent.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Samoilov attempted a 4Lz+eu+4S combination on his Instagram story today and nearly landed it :eek: I don't know what he's been doing since Russian Nationals, but whatever it is, it's working.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Rukavicin’s group is now slowly happening. Although there is 10-15 points being left on the table with Ignatov’s layout, Im happy they are focusing on hitting the program.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
At least in juniors this season looks really bright for russian men. Maybe that's the beginning of the renaissance of Russian men skaters they are waiting for so long.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
At least in juniors this season looks really bright for russian men. maybe that's thge beginning of the renaissance of Russian men skaters they are waiting for so long.

And soon we'll have a Battle of the Rinks in mens skating too ;-)