2015 Skate Canada Ice Dance SD | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Ice Dance SD

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Really enjoyed Weaver/Poje's SD. Very traditional, but it suits them. And it's sometimes nice to just have a pleasant, always-watchable program.

The Shibs definitely had superior twizzles, though I wish they'd sustained the character of the piece throughout, instead of just during the beginning. Perhaps it was just the wrong fit for the SD's requirements.

Bobrova/Soloviev performed quite well, imo, though I found the skating lacking at times (fluidity, ease in the turns, ect.) But what do I know, I'm certainly no ice dance expert.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
After watching the performances I want to mention:
Masquerade waltz and Ravensburger pattern don't go well with each other. The lightness of the Ravensburger is the problem. So I didn't like B/S SD (I have seen it before and that didn't struck me like it did today.) So I think with a different pattern this could be a very good program.
W/P have a beautiful classical SD, very enjoyable. The twizzles were a bit boring, but everything else was very very good.
I didn't get the program from the Shibs - is she supposed to portray a pretty doll? I liked the twizzles though and the quality of the elements and the overal skating.

Cleo

On the Ice
After watching the performances I want to mention:
Masquerade waltz and Ravensburger pattern don't go well with each other. The lightness of the Ravensburger is the problem. So I didn't like B/S SD (I have seen it before and that didn't struck me like it did today.) So I think with a different pattern this could be a very good program.
W/P have a beautiful classical SD, very enjoyable. The twizzles were a bit boring, but everything else was very very good.
I didn't get the program from the Shibs - is she supposed to portray a pretty doll? I liked the twizzles though and the quality of the elements and the overal skating.

Bob/Sol's music didn't go at all with the dances. Waltz music was heavy as you said, as was the Prokofiev. Downer music while the other top programs had upbeat. A bit jarring! the whole thing was a bit over the top in the drama department.

Maia, I think, was portraying a doll come to life (and back to a doll, etc.). It's been done many times by others - not sure if you've seen those performances. I thought she did a great job and there were comedic touches as well, such as her "slapping" Alex.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed Maia & Alex and Ksenia & Kirill programs!! Beautiful beautiful music and costumes as well.
It was nice to see Bobroba and Soloviev back as well. They really are powerful skaters even if sometimes a bit messy.
rest was meh for me

Ice Diva

On the Ice
W/P's program just beautiful. Way better than C/B. I was pleasantly surprised at how the Shibs have ramped up their skating and are no longer precise yet forgettable. They killed their twizzles and their expression was light and playful. B/S have amazing skating skills and those edges - but all the Russians have amazing deep edges.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Shibs' program is to a well-known ballet. It contains both a life size doll and a girl impersonating a doll.

I am surprised anyone is puzzled about this.

Coppelia
http://www.bostonballet.org/tickets/coppelia-synopsis.html

Dr. Coppélius, toy-maker, inventor, and magician, exhibits his masterwork, a life-sized doll whom he thinks of as a daughter. Frantz, a bumpkin, loves Swanilda, who is piqued by his flirtation with the pretty doll. With other louts, Frantz roughs up Coppélius. In their horseplay the key to his studio is lost, which Swanilda later discovers, enabling her and her friends to invade its secrets.

ACT TWO

Coppélius expels Swanilda’s companions while she hides herself. Frantz, following love and curiosity, climbs in a window. He is soon drugged by Coppélius’ potion. The magician imagines he may animate his doll by drawing energy from the sleeping youth. Swanilda, now dressed in Coppélias’s clothes, dances a Scottish reel and Spanish fandango. Coppélius, at fist in ecstasy over this apparent triumph, is plunged into despair when he uncovers her heartless imposture.

keasus

On the Ice
Thank you for that Doris P. I was just about to do the same. I have seen the ballet Coppelia more times than I can count, but I can tell you, the Shibs and their team did a great job translating it to meet the rigorous requirements of the SD while still maintaining the spirit of the ballet.

BTW, I believe Max Aaron's sister and her pairs partner (sorry I forget his name) did their SP to Coppelia last season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... BTW, I believe Max Aaron's sister and her pairs partner (sorry I forget his name) did their SP to Coppelia last season.

:agree: Yes, Maddie Aaron and Max Settlage had a very well-received SP to Coppelia last season. :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The "doll" theme in the Shibs dance is really just lip-service to it. The choreography could be bigger and more inventive to showcase that theme. Not the big step-up season for The Shibs that they could have had. Their programs on paper seemed like great ideas for them but Marina didn't have a good enough vision for these programs.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

rain

Record Breaker
W/P's program just beautiful.

I was pleasantly surprised. They've had such little time to develop this program that I was not expecting it to look this good yet, or get the technical levels. You could still see that it's a work in progress is terms of them being able to just perform and stop thinking through it (the twizzles looked pretty tentative), but it's a really good place to start.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Alex's hair looks awful in action -- it looks fine when he's sitting and can slick it back, but when it's flying around it looks like an awful 90s haircut...

bramweld

Record Breaker
W/P's program just beautiful. Way better than C/B. I was pleasantly surprised at how the Shibs have ramped up their skating and are no longer precise yet forgettable. They killed their twizzles and their expression was light and playful. B/S have amazing skating skills and those edges - but all the Russians have amazing deep edges.

Funnily enough I like C/B more. W/P is beautiful though.

Final Flight
Shibs were outstanding! W/P ...like okay I'm glad they got rid of that tacky Elvis program - but to just replace it with a hackneyed Strauss for a waltz SD - they skated well but ...it had to be perfection and it was little drab at parts due in part of the akward music cuts as someone mentioned previously. A tad vanilla boring for my taste - at least the Shibs had some cheekiness and personality. #subjective

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Very interesting competition.

WP, can't say I am loving this new SD of theirs, but maybe I do like it better than Elvis.

Shibs worked and improved to a 66. Feel that's fair. Not loving the SD but if WP can score a 68 and CB a 70 then the Shibs can score a 66.

BS, very nice. I would have maybe put them above Shibs, but really I find them close.

I guess the biggest surprise is how Russian teams are comparing. I feel like MK SD was scored fairly. I always felt they were overscored last year because Russia didn't have any really solid teams besides IZ, so they pushed MK and SB. This year, they don't need them. IZ are promising, BS are back and SK apparently got their act together. But, still, I am surprised to find MK scoring closer to YM. SK may not be fighting MK for third at all, SK seem much closer to BS than to MK. We have to see what SB will score internationally.

I am very curious to see FD scores tomorrow.