2017 GP Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Free Dance

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
2nd in the FD for H/D!!! :clap: He had a bit of a stumble, but overall I preferred it over W/P. Although W/P's SD was better IMO.

Of course, people will ignore that H/D were placed ahead of W/P in the FD, and wail about home inflation putting W/P 2nd overall.... and V/M almost getting 200 points (even though they didn't get a PB in the FS - actually scored less than their 2017 Worlds FD in Finland).

Nevertheless, congrats to the medallists! :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agreed. It's Hubbell/Donohue vs. the Shibs vs. Weaver/Poje at this point.

And maybe Chock and Bates...we need to see how they will do in Cup of China. U.S. Nationals is going to be a battle royale.

rain

Record Breaker
Agreed. It's Hubbell/Donohue vs. the Shibs vs. Weaver/Poje at this point.

Yes. All three of these teams are really close. I'll also be curious to see Chock/Bates, as they could figure in to this group too. I think they may be the only ones whose programs I have not seen yet this season.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
PB of Hubbell / Donahue - and that happened in Canada! I thought this was the best that I've ever seen from them so far in their skating. They make steady improvements under Lauzon & Dubreuil. I thought one can make a reasonable case about them getting silver here. But this is how collective power of technical panel & judges gave their verdict. I loved the happiness & form with which Weaver / Poje skated their two programs so I am happy for their 2nd place :agree: The margins that we've seen were narrow, actually it was -1 time violation in SD of Hubbell / Donahue that weighted all in all, tipped the balance in W/P favour overall.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I need a cigarette after that FD from H/D.

Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

Turns out that SD deduction mattered. They would have gotten silver.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But Weaver and Poje should not have beaten Hubbell and Donahue here. So what does THAT say about the race for the medals...just sayin'

They had a better SD. H/D were placed ahead of W/P in the FD, when the home judges very well could have just placed W/P ahead anyways. And it was just 0.6 apart.

They also didn't score V/M as high as I'd expected them to. They could have easily put them above 200.

Soucisse/Firus (the 3rd Canadian team) also didn't score as high as they had in Finlandia a few weeks ago.

Thank you for fair judging (well, fairer than other places....), Skate Canada. :clap: