2017 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ice Dance SD | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ice Dance SD

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Another Latvian team, also another team in the costume category "boring MIB and his neon coloured rug dress lady"

Man, I thought their second set of twizzles was going to be Bumper Cars.

I do like the music they chose for the pattern.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Oh absolutely. But that didn't scream "We just hit Seniors 12 minutes ago." It has some style and maturity to it. Do they need seasoning? Absolutely. But for a Senior Debut, it's commendable.

I think programme is the only problem there. They were concentrated to hit Levels, and thats fine approach for first year as seniors.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think programme is the only problem there. They were concentrated to hit Levels, and thats fine approach for first year as seniors.

Yes, the step sequence in particular is so meh to me. And I usually like the Delaware choreography.

- - - Updated - - -

I swear at this rate, next year Allison Reed will be skating for Vatican City.

Andrea82

Medalist
Allison Reed in her third incarnation. Now with Ambrulevicius for Lithuania

That's Isabella Tobias' path in a different order: born in USA and skating for Israel-Georgia-Lithuania

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil

And I think it's absolutely the right approach. They want to show they can hit their programs, and that's the only way to garner better scores when you come from juniors, even being a WJC. Compared to the other couples, besides B/S, they look more than ready.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
SD results:
1) Bobova/Soloviev RUS 35.21+35.86=71.08
2) Parsons/Parsons USA 36.72+30.76=67.48
3) Popova/Mozgov RUS 31.06+29.92=60.98
4) Koch/Nuchtern GER 30.72+27.32=58.04
5) Min/Gamelin KOR 31.78+24.88=56.66
6) Abachkina/Thauron FRA 27.92+27.56=55.48
7) Mansour/Ceska CZE 28.12+24.46=52.58
8) Reed/Ambrulevicius LTU 27.54+24.80=51.74
9) Jakushina/Nevskiy LAT 29.34+22.04=51.38
10) Kavailova/Bieliaiev BLR 27.12+23.36=50.48
11) Zlata/Lukouski UKR 23.64+20.32=43.96
12) Ipolito/Jones LAT 22.90+15.86=38.58
13) Hew-Low/Mckernan AUS 18.10+17.08=35.18

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
The Parsons got a lvl4 in the non-touching steps! :clapper::clapper: (judge number 6 didn't like them that much, tho)

Katia and Dima were the only ones to hit the pattern - Abachkina and Thauron were the only ones to not hit a single key-point.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh absolutely. But that didn't scream "We just hit Seniors 12 minutes ago." It has some style and maturity to it. Do they need seasoning? Absolutely. But for a Senior Debut, it's commendable.

Agree with this statement in full.

They should be very very proud of this result on the SD.

Barb

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed to P/M, it looked even better than last time.

I did not remember how boring the program of the Parsons is :yawn:, and the costumes :disapp:.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
B/S MUCH improved from the first time I saw this, though the twizzles should be dinged. BY FAR the best pattern of the day--these other couples should watch it to see you don't have to skate it so tightly, you can stretch it and it won't look so small.

Experience will out: you can see it compared to everyone else. Little things add so much--like the way she grabs her hair at one point.

It still is rough, but much much improved.

Slight twizzle issues from B/S. Skating is fast and big. Bobrova can dance Latino. Public clapping while they were dancing :agree: 71.08

thank a lot for the reports:thank: I have a tough day at work and tried to post a bit of my thoughts about Ladies both at Nepela and ACI:drama:

still to re-watch, but what can I say for sure is that Ekaterina and Dmitri have experience, mileage and performance quality to carry on basically every theme and rhythm, better or worse. She knows how to stand, he know how to partner and present her - of course, they are not iron perfect or have stuff that suits everyone's taste, but they sure know how to present themselves properly and do the program its trick. I would not maybe say that Ekaterina can dance Latino - for me, she definitely knows to how present this SD, the concept, the vibe to make it look ready to go.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
thank a lot for the reports:thank: I have a tough day at work and tried to post a bit of my thoughts about Ladies both at Nepela and ACI:drama:

still to re-watch, but what can I say for sure is that Ekaterina and Dmitri have experience, mileage and performance quality to carry on basically every theme and rhythm, better or worse. She knows how to stand, he know how to partner and present her - of course, they are not iron perfect or have stuff that suits everyone's taste, but they sure know how to present themselves properly and do the program its trick. I would not maybe say that Ekaterina can dance Latino - for me, she definitely knows to how present this SD, the concept, the vibe to make it look ready to go.

Ah well sorry you're so busy but I do hope you get a chance to watch the videos when posted. I always enjoy your comments.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

this is so true - for me, Parsons even competing in junior did not nor feel that typical 'juniorish', especially last season, they do need mileage of programs and polish around technicalities, to make them more integrated into whole performance, but it truly sounds like a great senior, strong debut. I'm glad, because they do have performance goodies aside of strong technique, and I'm rapt fan of Michael's buttery skills:love:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Ah well sorry you're so busy but I do hope you get a chance to watch the videos when posted. I always enjoy your comments.

thanks a lot:ghug:, likewise - I always appreciate your insight over every team!

I hope to catch up later and post more detailed thoughts and then - kaboom - planning to watch ACI SD:cheer:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Protocols

http://www.kraso.sk/wp-content/uplo...20170921_ont/CSSVK2017_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

At first sight quite a big variance in PCS marks for Min/Gamelin between judges. Two judges have them below 6 (Russian woman has marked them below 6 in every components with 5.25 for transitions and composition) while two others gave them around 7 (Composition: 7.0 from the USA judge and 7.25 from the Czech judge)

Yes i was surprised by that. It makes you wonder if they made fun of that judge's dog or something. Or if there is already some game playing going on.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I loved the Parsons' tech and edge qualities. They really moved in their step sequences, their rhumba pattern was the class of the night, and I think with those foundations they have what it takes to hit it big internationally in a few years (or less). However, they do need to work on getting the flavor. They're a team that is really dependent on their material (like how they hit it out of the park last season) because they can come off as character-less at times but there's no denying that edge quality and their stretch and line (in the big sweeping moves). It's world-class. They may have some of the best edges in the world right now.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I loved the Parsons' tech and edge qualities. They really moved in their step sequences, their rhumba pattern was the class of the night, and I think with those foundations they have what it takes to hit it big internationally in a few years (or less). However, they do need to work on getting the flavor. They're a team that is really dependent on their material (like how they hit it out of the park last season) because they can come off as character-less at times but there's no denying that edge quality and their stretch and line (in the big sweeping moves). It's world-class. They may have some of the best edges in the world right now.

yes, I think that they are still yet to develop that 'signature' for them, this identity factor about their way of performance, expression, but somehow I have this feeling that they are able to pull off both characteristic and more impressionist-like concepts. And I think that this technical foundation they have is a great advantage to do that.