2017 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ice Dance SD | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Ice Dance SD

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I would not maybe say that Ekaterina can dance Latino - for me, she definitely knows to how present this SD, the concept, the vibe to make it look ready to go.

Yeah. She can sell Latino is just what I was trying to say. I didn't mean she looks that good, like Latino diva born to dance Latino music :) Hope you will be with us next time ;)

andromache

Record Breaker
B/S are gifted by virtue of the fact that Russia hasn't been able to produce another top dance team in time for 2018, and not having a Russian dance team in the medal hunt is just unthinkable.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In a just world, the Parsons should give B/S a run for their money.

Love that you skated the pattern out. So much more effective. And I loved that they took their time with that lift--it didn't look frantic like so many multi-position lifts do.

Nice debut guys.

Actually technically they did, and won TES for the segment.

In BV Parsons outscored Bobrova/Soloviev, 31.20 to 29.30 (almost 2 points) with a notable level 4 on their no-touch!
And in GOE, Parsons outscored B/S in Twizzles (1.08 v. .48) and no-touch (1.54 vs. 1.32).

I loved the Parsons' tech and edge qualities. They really moved in their step sequences, their rhumba pattern was the class of the night, and I think with those foundations they have what it takes to hit it big internationally in a few years (or less). However, they do need to work on getting the flavor. They're a team that is really dependent on their material (like how they hit it out of the park last season) because they can come off as character-less at times but there's no denying that edge quality and their stretch and line (in the big sweeping moves). It's world-class. They may have some of the best edges in the world right now.

I think that will come with some more attempts at this SD. This SD is a clear improvement from what we saw in Philadelphia a month ago. I think it bodes well for them that they're making progress on hitting levels (get that level 4 rhumba and P.St.!). I think it's also just challenging to get latin flavor as a sibling team in general. I do like their music cuts -- it's different without going too far off the Latin music rhythm.

I agree with everyone, a great debut.

I also watched Bobrova/Soloviev and thought they too had vastly improved on their SD from Russian Test skates. I agree they had the feel of the dance better than Parsons so I'm cool with the PCS difference. Lots of work still to do, but again progress.

I also think they are packaged WAY better this time compared to their Latin 2012 SD. Do you all remember the Halloween Latin get-up someone thought it would be great to get Ekaterina to dress in. :no: I'm glad to see some COLOR and the really nice tight ponytail.

Last edited:

skatemd1

On the Ice
I loved the Parsons' tech and edge qualities. They really moved in their step sequences, their rhumba pattern was the class of the night, and I think with those foundations they have what it takes to hit it big internationally in a few years (or less).... there's no denying that edge quality and their stretch and line (in the big sweeping moves). It's world-class. They may have some of the best edges in the world right now.

Yes. This is true. Loved this debut performance and can't wait for FD. B/S skated very well too. Fantastic SD.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
okay, a face mask and a dinner later here are my thoughts...

Angelique and Louis - the random thought is that French teams and skaters in general are making their stuff somehow in more sophisticated version than not, there is just some level of being stylish and cohesive in stuff they are doing, Angeliqe and Louis are no exception - I like their styling, her dress, the sleek look overall. The choreography and musical arrangement are quite pleasant - nothing 'WOW'/original, but solid enough I feel to pull off a decent program and make an impression. I like his way of partnering, he's actually way more into convention than her actually for me (or just plays it better:)) - Angelique really needs to more control her body and expression thorough the dance, those random head/arm shakes off the music have to go. And she needs to relax her upper body movement to get better with legs - there is very little flow as for now there which makes dance/partnering/elements looking forced, mechanical. I do believe they will get there and improve, they have nice energy and decent overall polish/quality around them I appreciate - just this SD needs more 'oomph' here and there and sharping.

Yura and Alexander - love their energy, you really can feel the enthusiasm and engagement radiating from them, regadless how technically they are doing. A bit mixed feelings on music used, it felt kind of random (?) for me, wish there would be 'Despacito' repeated after middle part. They need to work harder on partnering, all sections in holds - there were some awkward/accidental moments interrupting the overall flow of the dance which disturbed me, and they need to be more punctuated on step sequences, more rhythmic overall as there were some problems there from what I saw. But then - the overall picture felt quite festive, energetic and vibrant, they seemed very into performance.

Betina and Sergei - she can sell stuff, that's for sure, he felt a bit bland compared to her, but we will see how it develops. There is a nice basis quality there, a chemistry between then from what I saw, being rhythmic and quite musical. Of course, they are still rough around edges, but there is no awkwardness there, maybe except some of his moves, probably supposed to look 'Latin':). I like her attitude very much actually - she's flirty, has nice carriage over the ice and as I said - really convincing in selling the perfromance. Defnitely a promising start and a solid vehicle for them to build on.

Rachel and Michael - now that was THE performance for me! Talk about senior debut in style - for me (and for tech panel) the best technique put out there, flowy, spacious step sequences (this lvl4 non-touch one - majestic, so into music, lovely edges and carriage over the ice, whole body intgration, they just flew out there:love:), amazingly on Rhumba pattern (lots of coverage, long edges, great accentuation on key points), overall very sharp, focused and skated with purpose. The dance is actually very clever for me - I feel like the ocus point is to show off their sharpness, polish in movement, connection to the music and great connection/partnering between them, not to play/portray Latinos on purpose. There is already a high level of quality not only from technical side, but also about performance/presentation, of course - they could have more Latin flare/vibe in movement, not even in character (e.g. being more expressive, loud and exuberant), but it will come with more confidence gained with each competition. Mileage and constant polish are keys to success. Rachel did great, my my eyes were mostly on Michael - he's a truly gifted dancer in my opinion, this smoothness, edge uality, being so adaptive over different ways of movement/expression don't come very often, I'm just a fan so I'm biased:). I think that this is the package which could get them quite far - as they seem to be the whole package in making

and Ekaterina and Dmitri - what an improvement from test skates, I'm very pleased! Yes, the dress stayed, but maybe I'll get used to it eventually:laugh:. They seemed more relaxed and into performance, which made it smoother, with more flow and confidence. I still cannot believe that they went for relatively low-key, understated music which mesh very well between pieces - I think it actually helps to make their best qualities pop: strong dance in holds, very good partnering, good ice coverage and most of all - amazing performers' quality. And that was probably the best thing for me in their today's performance - this feeling of vibrance, joy, attack in their movement, how they executed stuff, how they connected with music. Dmitri is his usual suave self, but it's Ekaterina that makes me smile - she went quite a long road to get that expression in place, making it engaged instead of OTT, now there is nice quality and cohesion between her movement, expression and music, a little bit of hip sway here and there, a hand gesture, all being moderate and controlled. Overall, very solid on pattern and step sequences, I'm still on the board of this choreo enthusiasts - it is actually quite flow-y itself and allows them to perform a bit, be playful, engage audience. And did they change the lift - it looked much better with music.