2017 Russian Nationals Men's FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2017 Russian Nationals Men's FS

mrrice

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Mikhail Kolyada!!!! I didn't even know his name when I saw him for the first time this season. He was Illia Junior before the GPF and now he is Russia's National Champion, Mikhail Kolyada. I'm so proud of you and I look forward to following your career and cheering for you for many years to come...:bow:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
@psusanne: You mean artistical, do you??? "Artificial" means something very different, something that Kolyada - in my opinion!- is not at all :) - sometimes "overexpressive", yes, for sure. But I think that this is his own style - I like it and I am so happy he has nailed it today!
No, I mean artificial, but I don't mean it in a negative way. I like it because he stands out with that style. My favourite Kolyada program is still his last year's FS.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
From the press conference - apparently Samarin's team was yelling "double axel!!!" at him throughout the entire step sequence since being used to juniors he'd forgotten about the 8th jump altogether :laugh: That's why such an awkward tacking on at the end.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the press conference - apparently Samarin's team was yelling "double axel!!!" at him throughout the entire step sequence since being used to juniors he'd forgotten about the 8th jump altogether :laugh: That's why such an awkward tacking on at the end.

Funny :laugh:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Mika doesn't look that much different though - he needs to tell me how the 'not aging' thing works :laugh:

(I mean that in the best sense, he's such a cutie then and now :love: )
As someone said: "Sasha has grown and Misha got thinner". But other than that yes.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
By the way, for people who have been saying Samarin is basically Kovtun #2 to which there may be some merit, there are a lot of ways Samarin is better off:

He appears mentally stable. He actually seems to enjoy competing. His jump technique isn't broken. People who know him say he is extremely hard-working. His coach realises that he needs to work on PCS and they are planning to put a lot of effort into it - considering he is prepared to work as hard as required he may actually progress. So I think there is more hope for Samarin than for Kovtun.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It's too bad they gave Plushenko Kovtun's spot for the 2014 Olympics, since that might have been Kovtun's "time."

whatif

Medalist
Damn it, Aliev was so close. Still not bad result. It would be interesting to see if the rivalry between Samarin/Aliev develops in the coming years.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russian men need some reworking for their choreography though. Why so 6.0?

They don't understand they need to be more North American. There's a reason all the best train in North America. There it's much more about transitions and choreo.

It's too bad they gave Plushenko Kovtun's spot for the 2014 Olympics, since that might have been Kovtun's "time."

After the way kovtun performed at euros he didn't deserve the Olympic spot at all! No training and embarrassed himself with sense of entitilement and "I just can do it all with no training"

Last edited:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally had time to watch this. (Thanks syvpow:)) Ecstatic for Kolyada!! :clap: He's one of my favorites, especially after seeing him at Worlds. So sad for Voronov :( This was his one bad skate all season. Is there any hope at all that he will get to go to Europeans or Worlds, or is he finished? I'm probably in the minority, but I think Russia may have a better chance of getting three spots w him than w Kovtun (sorry to Kovtun fans). I appreciated Kovtun and Samarin's jumps, but otherwise I enjoyed some of the lower placed skaters more, including Petrov (though Tarasova, etc talked through my favorite part, his step sequence), Lazukin, Shulepov, Lezheev, and Erokov. Except for Petrov, I'd not seen these other men before, and their skating skills and movement really caught my attention. The ESPN commentary was great, wish it was available for all the performances.

Last edited:

Biellmann

Match Penalty

OMG :rofl2:

tyrolean skates

Rinkside
Good morning again!
Well, my Russian dream Team for the Euros would be Kolyada (of course ), Kovtun and, Yes, old Boy Voronov: He has two stunning Programms this Season, he has experience and he normally NEVER messes up a Programm like it happened here in the free. Samarin is still very young: He should be given some time to establish in the international Senior Scene before starting at Worlds/Euros

madison

Record Breaker
Good morning again!
Well, my Russian dream Team for the Euros would be Kolyada (of course ), Kovtun and, Yes, old Boy Voronov: He has two stunning Programms this Season, he has experience and he normally NEVER messes up a Programm like it happened here in the free. Samarin is still very young: He should be given some time to establish in the international Senior Scene before starting at Worlds/Euros

No, Samarin should go at least to Euros. He earned that spot and it would be a good exposure to him.