2018-2019 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

Mirunna

Record Breaker
They could lose three spots with Alina, too.

It’s not like this is Stasya’s first good competition of the season. She was an alternate for the Grand Prix Final, above Medvedeva. I agree that she is a huge wild card, but she has made a case for herself and she performed well when it most mattered. Sofya could have done better, but she did not.

Under any international panel Sofia would have placed above Stasya based on their performances at nationals. A huge wildcard plus the inconsistency of Alina can be troublesome. And with Tuk injured the smartest move would be to have Sofia on the team. But Stasya beat all Sr ladies at nationals she will be sent 100% to Euros

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very interesting what the Russian Federation is going to do with Medvedeva. Among the seniors, she is 4th overall but 1st in the free. I would not want to be a part of the Russian selection boardroom today.

If you were on the board you would probably have TATs number and could just text her asking for the correct answers.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Under any international panel Sofia would have placed above Stasya based on their performances at nationals. A huge wildcard plus the inconsistency of Alina can be troublesome. And with Tuk injured the smartest move would be to have Sofia on the team. But Stasya beat all Sr ladies at nationals she will be sent 100% to Euros

I still think the ideal scenario would be Stasya at Euros and Sofia at Worlds.

moriel

Record Breaker
Just to unite everybody here, i think this is the right moment to start a collective rant about only 3 spots for worlds and euros.

PS: to all people complaining about juniors at "senior" rusnats, watch this again, short and free, and see why juniors make it more awesome.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany

Nope she would have not. Her FS was VERY uninspired. To put it mildly. I am not a fan of Stasya, and i like Sofia more, but today she benefited from being in the last group.

madison

Record Breaker

The Rus Fed always supported and backed Stasya, for whatever reason...It s a shame cause she really does not deliver when she should.

readernick

Medalist
Oh yes, her "good" competition with multiple uncalled URs that again, rob other skaters. Good times.

Yes, I enjoy her skating. She has some nice qualities but she consistently URs and her only hope for a good score is a “blind” technical panel.

readernick

Medalist
Nope she would have not. Her FS was VERY uninspired. To put it mildly. I am not a fan of Stasya, and i like Sofia more, but today she benefited from being in the last group.

Sofia also had at least one uncalled UR. That would have lowered her score.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I still think the ideal scenario would be Stasya at Euros and Sofia at Worlds.

I agree. But I doubt it will happen. If i understand corectly, top 2 are automatically qualified and only the third spot is decided by the council. So it is basically Stasya and Alina and then one of Tuk, Sofia and Med. It should be Tuk if healthy. Otherwise Sofia. There is no argument to send Med above Sofia IMO

IlVoloFan

Final Flight
Country
Turkey
Assuming Liza is in. Just considering the FS today. I would choose Zhenya, Stasya and Lisa. Taking overall comp. Alina, Stasya and Liza. Sofia is consistent but I think Stasya deserves it more with the maturity that she got.

Danny T

Medalist
Is Alina's inconsistency a bit overblown? I mean, yeah, she's not consistent, but over the GP series she's been more than decent enough, if not for the eventual World Champion title, then at least for the spots. I think she'll manage her role for 3 spots just fine. It'll depend on who is the other two.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
RusFed please choose Zhenya. My dream choice would be Zhenya, Liza and Alina.
But I think it will be Alina, Liza, Stasya.

I'm slowly beginning to think that whoever is not going to Euros and Worlds this season from the seniors, will have a very hard time of going ever again - or at least next year. Idk if the top two juniors keep their quads, but even if they don't they will not lose their triples, I guess. When these three turn senior, every other russian skater will look bad. I fear for all of them. Perhaps they should send Evgenia too. She's still good enough to podium at Euros or Worlds. This season.

readernick

Medalist
Just to unite everybody here, i think this is the right moment to start a collective rant about only 3 spots for worlds and euros.

PS: to all people complaining about juniors at "senior" rusnats, watch this again, short and free, and see why juniors make it more awesome.
Lol. I am not sure the senior ladies here showed they need more than 3 spots. There were some ugly long programs. It is more like a selection of who made the least mistajes...

Now, the juniors were amazing lets hope they are healthy and strong for years to come....

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Is Alina's inconsistency a bit overblown? I mean, yeah, she's not consistent, but over the GP series she's been more than decent enough, if not for the eventual World Champion title, then at least for the spots. I think she'll manage her role for 3 spots just fine. It'll depend on who is the other two.

It's not overblown this season. Her jumping has been pretty vulnerable and as the stakes have increased, so have her nerves. It never hurts to have backups that can be trusted to stay in the Top 8.

Mirunna

Record Breaker

I disagree. Sofia got 136 for a clean skate this season. Stasya 135 for her clean skate in Helsinki. Here Stasya had a pop and a fall. In no way an international panel would place her ahead of Sofia

readernick

Medalist
I'm slowly beginning to think that whoever is not going to Euros and Worlds this season from the seniors, will have a very hard time of going ever again - or at least next year. Idk if the top two juniors keep their quads, but even if they don't they will not lose their triples, I guess. When these three turn senior, every other russian skater will look bad. I fear for all of them. Perhaps they should send Evgenia too. She's still good enough to podium at Euros or Worlds. This season.

I am not sure I agree with you. What makes Sasha and Anna special is their quads. If they lose them, they are just like any other skater.

Now, Alena is truly special. But, do we know who will survive puberty and injury? We really don’t. So, don’t be so sure it is Evgenia’s or Alina’s or anyone else’s last season. Time will tell!

Danny T

Medalist
It's not overblown this season. Her jumping has been pretty vulnerable and as the stakes have increased, so have her nerves. It never hurts to have backups that can be trusted to stay in the Top 8.

I agree with having a back up that can stay top 8, I'd say a healthy Liza can take that role just fine. What I meant was some worry that Russia's gonna lose its 3rd spot due to Alina - I don't think it will. Alina should manage a 5th place OK, even with bombed skate (well, she usually only bombed 1 out of 2 so far, can't guarantee more).

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I didn't watch the event live and now I'm like...
what happened?????? :hpull:

I'm not gonna say it was "unexpected", it wasn't that surprising if you've been watching these ladies all along(including juniors). Anna, Alexandra and Alena were all set for glory and Alina has been struggling this entire season.
I can't help but feel sad for Alina, this was not the time to have her worst skate of the season... that was a +5 meltdown! :( When she dropped that leg in the spiral I was facepalming cause I didn't want to watch it anymore... :eek:
Of course I'm over the moon for Anna! She had her fair share of struggles this season but finally she showed what she's capable of! :biggrin:
RusNats is like JpNats for me, it doesn't matter who wins, I'll be happy either way cause I basically love everyone! :laugh: But of course the really bad skates are heartbreaking. :sad21:

Thank god Evgenia really redeemed herself here! It wasn't perfect but that was definitely a skate she can be proud of and that's what matter in the end of the day. :agree:
Also, love the new FS dress!!! :love:

I'll try to watch the full event somewhere in the future... SO MANY amazing ladies!! :eeking:

Russian Nationals is WILD!!!!!! :dance2: