2018 Autumn Classic Intl Rhythm Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Autumn Classic Intl Rhythm Dance

LadyB

Record Breaker
Shame, would have loved to see the interview. Don’t know about you guys, but they show us Kostornaya instead. Anyway, Men next.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Loved the twizzles on Lanahan/Raz. I liked their whole program actually. A couple to watch for the future!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Hey guys,

On site, Kaitlyn and Andrew wowowow. Steamy and sensual at the beginning. Fast and sharp towards the end. Love those in place steps in their StSq. A dynamic tango and definitely a step above everyone else. Lift entry could have been smoother but overall a great debut. 4EC was right, they are excellent at communicating emotion with their expression and bodies, just spellbinding.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am at the Hotel, cooling off from today's activities at Nepela stadium and some sightseeing, watching another FS live, I am just that cliche :laugh:.
Server issues deleted my big post I wrote, so I don't know if this will be that good.

I am not a big fan (at least for now) of Carolanne/Shane's RD, there is too much going on with little emphasis on dance itself for me: off-beaten path concept, electronic arrangement in music, costumes, everything kind of screamed for attention. It was moderne and youthful, but Tango core was missing for me. I like that music though and would love to see more 'conservative', traditional take in terms of movement with few cool accents here and there, not going all original in every area. I found their translation/expression of staccato rhythm strange a bit, it looked stiff and outside of music at places; the pattern was uneven and messy, Carolanne had issues and it was cautious in my opinion, not very musical. Some of connections looked labored and accidental, quite a lot of unfinished movement. It is a good idea for a program, just the execution is not that good right now.

Kaitlyn and Andrew - class, sophistication, maturity, a quiet seduction wrapped in silky package that I wish would last more that just 3 minutes, definitely the best RD I saw so far this season. What I love the most is how non-literal this dance, their interpretation, expression felt despite beaten up ad nauseum Libertango theme. The program somehow felt fresh in its intimacy, little details full of meaning, purpose of doing them - there was nothing flashy, too obvious about the image aside of being passionate here and now; I feel like this kind of natural emotion going so in synch with the character of dance is a rarity nowadays, but WeaPo achieve it. I like how movement compliments the music, not overshadowing it: sharp, clinical movement of their legs going together with beautiful frames in their upper bodies with lovely, continued flow in motion overall. Loved the rhythmical accentuation, especially with tempo change in step sequence with some Tango-stylized movement, the pattern was spacious, precise and lovely set in the music (loved particularly the exit from it), for now the best 'new' lift (waiting for PSquared though!) with great fluidity in changing positions. One thing is to have a great program, beautifully set to the music, another one is to fill this shape with a substance that will make a difference, impact, make a revelation from just creation - and for me WeaPo did it with Tango theme in this RD; the music with this choreo seems quite simplistic and straightforward (so it is easy to recognize Tango core influences there), but the essence is about both physical and expressive chemistry going between them, how their bodies align (even when they are apart) , lean towards each other, how they responded to every movement of the other one, this emotions bubbling under the surface, provoking, teasing them and us like Ted said. I am impressed by how detailed, attentive their partnering was (like Andrew's leading in the pattern), nothing was rushed, a lot of polish and nuance in both execution and interpretation area of performance which proves a great maturity and well-thought concept, vision of the dance. And for me they showed that a Tango can have variety on ice, that slower and quicker parts can be equally interesting, equally strong and that it can feel genuine, natural, deep, not evoking momentary emotions, fake gestures full of unecessary drama just for program's sake. I feel that from some time they are trying to adapt dance style in SD, now RD, to their personal aesthetic and signature features as a team, but never trying to prevail over it - this RD is such sophisticated example of that.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Looking at the protocols, boy, Judge #5 did not like Carolane and Shane. #5's highest PCS mark for them was a 5.25 on composition, the lowest a 4.00 on interpretation of music. For comparison, the lowest component mark they got from any other judge was a 7.00, and they mostly got mid-7s to high 8s. #5 also gave them 0 GOE on two of the five elements.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I loved Kaitlyn and Andrew's RD! :) They look so sharp and prepared already. They have a great sensual vibe and connection. The only thing that I'm not sure about is Kaitlyn's dress - I like the style, but I'm unconvinced about the colour. It's too close to her skin tone.

I am not sure what to make of Carolane and Shane's RD. I appreciate that they're trying something out of the box that is a bit edgier, but it's not there for me, at least not yet. With music like that, they need a lot more 'face' and performance, and I wasn't feeling it. Hmm...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I am not sure what to make of Carolane and Shane's RD. I appreciate that they're trying something out of the box that is a bit edgier, but it's not there for me, at least not yet. With music like that, they need a lot more 'face' and performance, and I wasn't feeling it. Hmm...

There's a quote from Woody Allen that I love: "If you're an Orthodox Jew and you're going to eat pork, eat it until the fat dribbles down your chin." If you're going to go for out of the box, then you really need to go for it. Voir often had the same problem (their Carmen program springs to mind here). It can be difficult to square an avant garde approach with the demands of a more ballroomy step sequence. And just because you're going all avant garde doesn't mean you can skimp on "face" and performance. They need to push both much much more. But it is early days, so there is plenty of time to make those adjustments.