• Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Shevchenko and Eremenko are favoured here, I would say, but Nguyen and Kolesnik have the potential for an upset. At a minimum, S/E don’t have much in the way of margin for error.

Russia wisely called off the showdown between Nguyen/Kolesnik and Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy for silver, leaving Ivanenko/Karpov to battle it out for bronze with the Ukrainians and the French (who I might have picked as contenders for one of the higher placements if not for whatever injury they must have been struggling with to delay their JGP debut).

I hope Fabbri/Ayer have a smoother outing this time, after that free skate fall in Bratislava.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So this is actually quite an interesting field with several question marks for a dance event this late in the JGP . . .

We have Shevchenko & Eremenko, who have the most experience of all the junior Russian teams and defeated Lajoie & Lagha head-to-head earlier this season, but competed in an event that was called pretty tightly so they enter this event with a relatively low score. This is a chance for them to bring in a number that can set them up against Ushakova & Nekrasov heading into the Final. If you do an across-event score comparison (which is rarely wise), though, S&E might even have to fight for this win.

Nguyen & Kolesnik, who were brand new together last season and earned a very strong score in Kaunas, over 30 points above their last season's SB. The biggest leap forward for any of the top junior dance teams. Great potential, and not a lot of experience. Which makes them a bit unpredictable.

Ivanenko & Karpov, who I think were a bit of a surprise to medal at JGP Canada and particularly to win silver, though it's never too shocking when a Russian team gets on the podium. Trying to make their argument here for the JGPF, and it is not impossible.

Lagouge & Rahier, who were the top team from France last season and medaled on the JGP last year as well as finishing 8th at Junior Worlds. They are supposed to debut on the JGP here after coming back from injury. They skated only the RD last week at French Masters and swallowed a fall in the competition, then didn't compete the free. But they are still on the list so it appears we will see them and their new programs.

Popova & Byelikov, who have a medal from Kaunas and quite a bit of competitive experience, having hovered around the top 10 at Junior Worlds the last couple seasons and done a couple senior events last season.

Fisher & Malette-Paquette, who come into this season as the 2nd highest-ranked in-tact Canadian junior team from last year. They finished fourth at the last regular JGP last season. He has some international experience, though they were brand new together last season. Coming off an injury, this is their first event. Makes them impossible to predict at this point.

Fabbri & Ayer, who had a miss in their FD during the season opener and, therefore, can certainly raise their score here. New together, which makes them also rather unpredictable. In this case, she is the one with quite a bit of experience.

Buga & Pokhiyuk, who finished 4th in Kaunas. And he is now listed on IPS. So will we see them at all?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Both the French and Azebijani teams are not listed in the just released RD skating order. Have they both withdrawn from the event?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Both the French and Azebijani teams are not listed in the just released RD skating order. Have they both withdrawn from the event?

I'd assume both have dropped out.

The team from Azerbaijan has split (per IJS). And Lagouge & Rahier are coming off an injury and pulled out halfway through French Masters this past weekend after having a rough go in the RD there.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
No I was really looking forward to see the French team for first time this season. Hope they don't have a serious injury.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Shevchenko and Eremenko are favoured here, I would say, but Nguyen and Kolesnik have the potential for an upset. At a minimum, S/E don’t have much in the way of margin for error.

Russia wisely called off the showdown between Nguyen/Kolesnik and Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy for silver, leaving Ivanenko/Karpov to battle it out for bronze with the Ukrainians and the French (who I might have picked as contenders for one of the higher placements if not for whatever injury they must have been struggling with to delay their JGP debut).

I hope Fabbri/Ayer have a smoother outing this time, after that free skate fall in Bratislava.

It's a very interesting field and I do imagine that Avonley and Vadym could make an upset - they have very, very good programs in my opinion that does not feel that much juniorish, his strength and skills paired with her expressive performance abilities are a rarity and a recipe for good things.

I also hope for a better outing for Alicia and Paul, I really love them together on ice!

Country
Russia
Main Entries in order of Personal Best
In ( ) - best unofficial, at competitions which don't give ISU Best, only for skaters who haven't ISU Best.

1 Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK USA 161.84
2 Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO RUS 158.70
3 Polina IVANENKO / Daniil KARPOV RUS 149.39
4 Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV UKR 142.29
5 Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYER CAN 135.66
6 Ellie FISHER / Simon-Pierre MALETTE-PAQUETTE CAN 133.38
7 Francesca RIGHI / Aleksei DUBROVIN ITA 126.77
8 Emily ROSE BROWN / James HERNANDEZ GBR 126.13
9 Alina EFIMOVA / Alexander PETROV USA (120.92)
10 Villц MARTON / Danyil SEMKO HUN 119.92
11 Charise MATTHAEI / Maximilian PFISTERER GER 113.39
12 Mariia NOSOVITSKAYA / Mikhail NOSOVITSKIY ISR 109.77

Marina PHILIPPOVA / Vadym KRAVTSOV AUT -
Darja NETJAGA / Marko Jevgeni GAIDAJENKO EST -
Sophia SIMITSAKOS / Jeffrey WONG GRE -