Entries
Detailed Results and Protocols
LIVESTREAM
Video Thread

START ORDER

ENTRIES​

No.NameNation
1Marina PHILIPPOVA / Vadym KRAVTSOV
RD: Tango: "Otra Luna" by Carlos Libedinsky; "Bust Your Windows" by Jazmine Sullivan
FD:
AUT
WDYana BUGA / Georgy POKHILYUK
RD: "Tango: "Querer" (from "Alegria" - Cirque du Soleil); Waltz: "Alegria" (Cirque du Soleil); choreo by Natalia Yanovskaia
FD: Polovetsian Dances (from "Prince Igor") by Alexander Borodin; choreo by Natalia Yanovskaia
AZE
3Alicia FABBRI / Paul AYER
RD: Tango: "A Evaristo carriego" by Eduardo Rovira; Tango: "Obertuna" performed by Forever Tango; choreo by Mylene Girard
FD: "Quand on na que l'amour" by Jacques Brel; "Composition"=by Karl Hugo; "Quand on na que l'amour;" performed by Pierre Lapointe; choreo by Mylene Girard
CAN
4Ellie FISHER / Simon-Pierre MALETTE-PAQUETTE
RD: "Tango D'Amor" by Tango Jointz feat. Bellma Cespedes; Tango: "Verano Portena" performed by Tango Quattro; choreo by Romain Haguenauer
FD: "Look Down" by Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, The Convicts; "I Dreamed a Dream" performed by Glee Cast; Les Miserables Orchestral Instrumental Medley; choreo by Romain Haguenauer
CAN
5Darja NETJAGA / Marko Jevgeni GAIDAJENKO
RD: Tango: "Take the Lead" by Veronica Verdier; Tango: "Tango Mistico by Tanghetto;" choreo by Julia Semjonova, Natalja Janovskaja
FD: "Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet" by Henry Mancini; Anonymous Theme Original Song "A Time For Us" (from "Romeo and Juliet") performed by Barratt Waugh; choreo by Julia Semjonova, Natalja Janovskaja
EST
WDNatacha LAGOUGE / Corentin RAHIER
RD:
FD: Camelot (2011 TV series? music composed by Mychael & Jeff Danna); choreo by Neil Brown
FRA
7Charise MATTHAEI / Maximilian PFISTERER
RD: Flamenco: "Spanish Flame" by Maxime Rodriguez; Argentine Tango: "Tango d'Amor;" Flamenco: "Farrucas" by Pepe Romero; choreo by Stefano Caruso, Barbara Fusar Poli
FD: "This World Will Remember Me" by Frank Wildhorn, Don Black; "How 'bout A Dance" (reprise) by Frank Wildhorn, Don Black; "This World Will Remember Us" by Frank Wildhorn, Don Black; choreo by Stefano Caruso, Barbara Fusar Poli
GER
8Emily ROSE BROWN / James HERNANDEZ
RD: Tango Instrumental - Mgzavebi by Roni Benise, Bamboleo by Gypsy Kings; choreo by J. Young (RD)
FD: "Happy" by C2C (Coups 2 Cross), "Stand By Me" performed by Ben E. King, "Happy" by C2C (Coups 2 Cross); choreo by N. Buckland, P. Coomes (FD)
GBR
9Sophia SIMITSAKOS / Jeffrey WONG
RD: Tango: "Tango Till They Are Sore by Tom Waits;" Tango: "Milongo;" choreo by Shae Zukiwsky, F. Ouellette, E. Paradis; choreo by Shae Zukiwsky, F. Ouellette, E. Paradis
FD: "Paint It Black" performed by Escala; "As Tears Go By" by The Rolling Stones; "Paint It Black" by The Rolling Stones; choreo by Shae Zukiwsky, F. Ouellette, E. Paradis
GRE
10Villö MARTON / Danyil SEMKO
RD: Tango: "Tango in the Sky" by Peter Dranga; choreo by Irina Zhuk, Ilona Berecz, Tibor Dalotti
FD: "Black Cat, White Cat" (soundtrack) by Goran Bregovic; choreo by Irina Zhuk, Ilona Berecz, Tibor Dalotti
HUN
11Mariia NOSOVITSKAYA / Mikhail NOSOVITSKIY
RD: Tango; choreo by Galit Chait Moracci
FD: "Notre Dame de Paris;" "Ave Maria;" choreo by Galit Chait Moracci
ISR
12Francesca RIGHI / Aleksei DUBROVIN
RD: Tango: "Tango de Besame" by Robi Benise; Samba: "Vamos a bailar" by Gypsy Kings; choreo by Corrado Giordani
FD: "Une peu plus haut, un peu plus loin" by Lise Angell; "The Blessing" by Michael W. Smith; "Une peu plus haut, un peu plus loin" by Lise Angell; choreo by Corrado Giordani
ITA
13Polina IVANENKO / Daniil KARPOV
RD: Tango; choreo by Mikhail Kolegov
FD: Peter Gunn (soundtrack); choreo by Mikhail Kolegov
RUS
14Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO
RD: Tango: La Cumparsita; choreo by Alena Samarskaia
FD: "Intro" by Onuka; "Witchdoctor" by Camo & Krooked; "Lijo" by Alina Orlova; choreo by Alena Samarskaia
RUS
15Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV
RD: Waltz: "Larrons en foire" by Raphael Beau; Tango; choreo by Larisa Fiodorova
FD: Chopin Nocturne performed by David Garrett; "Run" by Ludovico Einaudi; choreo by Larisa Fiodorova
UKR
16Alina EFIMOVA / Alexander PETROV
RD: Tango: Toute Tourne (Tango Mix) by Intendet Immigration; Tango: Ontra Luna by Carlos Libedinsky; "Cha Cha: Pa Bailar (Siempre Quiero Mas)" by Bajofondo; choreo by Igor Shpilband
RD: "Who Wants to Live Forever" performed by The Tenors; choreo by Igor Shpilband
USA
17Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK
RD: "Vuelvo al Sur performed by Amelita Baltar; "Building the Bullet by Luis Bacalov;" choreo by Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo
FD: "Demons" by Imagine Dragons, cover by Jasmine Thompson and Boyce Ave; "Experience" by Ludovico Einaudi; choreo by Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo
USA

Last edited by a moderator:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think this program will be especially crucial to the outcome. If you look at Nguyen/Kolesnik’s Kaunas results, they were only about two points back of Ushakova/Nekrasov in the free, whereas they were four points behind in the RD. If they can keep within a point or so of Shevchenko/Eremenko here, then I think it’s anybody’s game in the free. Have to imagine they’ve been really drilling that RD in the intervening weeks.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've agreed to try doing some play by play for Dance this season. Now given that I have yet to make it from the area where you put on skates to the actual rink itself without causing grievous bodily injury (mostly to myself!), I find this hilarious and a sterling example of Major Irony, but I think the idea of pbp is a very good one. And I promise to do my best. If nothing else, you get to see A Very Very Very Very Very Steep Learning Curve in Action!

I wanted to post a few links for people who may occasionally like to watch ID events casually, for those who would like to but are baffled by it, or want to learn more. If this is not you, Mr and Ms Expert, please feel free to skip ahead or file your nails or make me some breakfast (I'm particularly fond of omelettes, blueberry pancakes and bacon [hint, hint]).

Today's Event is the Rhythm Method. I mean Rhythm Dance. (LOL, sorry but the joke is so easy who could resist making it? Not me!) This was formally known as the Short Dance. Ice dancing is at heart, traditional ballroom dancing on ice. There are a number of set patterns in ballroom that have been incorporated into ID. There is a good reason for this. These are the fundamental patterns learned by every couple, from the wee novice to the most experienced of seniors. The RD gives both judges and audience a chance to compare teams directly. If you want to know why team So and So placed ahead of Your Particular Favorite, an excellent way to do so is to compare both teams's required patterns in the RD.

The RD always has a set pattern, done to a specific rhythm. This year the juniors are skating to the Argentine Tango. Bill Neal has helpfully provided, in another post on here, a lovely link explaining the steps of the AT and the Infamous Key Points here:
https://www.isu.org/inside-single-pa...s-2018-19/file

Key points are part of the required dance pattern. They must be skated on a specific step, to a specific beat. Hitting or missing a key point can be crucial to a team's overall placement in the RD. Given that my internet connection is somewhere in the area of two tin cans and a piece of string, I'm not going to attempt to identify them in the pbp as they happen, but the protocols will tell you if the team hit their KPs.

The USFSA has provided a nifty chart explaining the required elements of the RD here. There are five required elements for the Junior RD: two sections of Argentine tango, a short lift, one set of twizzles, and a step sequence. The step sequence can be either Midline (aka in a straight line), diagonal (from one rink corner to its diagonal opposite) or circular. The sequence may be done in hold, not touching, or a combination of both. More info can be found here:
http://www.usfsa.org/content/2018-19...RD Chart.pdf

So, with that in mind, let's give this baby a whirl! As I said, Mr Tech I'm not, so if I miss something or screw something up, by all means feel free to point this out. I think the more we know about ID, the more enjoyable it becomes for everyone.

The Live stream is available here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEBUsi4XRg

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What a little jewel box of a city. I love Ted's travelogues.

I agree. There are so many beautiful old cities in Europe that it would be lovely to visit.

Just a pity that the music at the start of the LIVE part of the broadcast after it was so loud that you couldn't hear what Ted was saying. :rolleye:

I see that the NOSOVITSKIY twins are doing back-to-back competitions after being in Ostrava last week. So, hopefully the short time in between won't hamper them here.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Poor Danyil! Not a good skate from him.

But, Villö has been a great support to him right from the moment they finished. Refreshing to see after what we saw in Pairs last week.

Better luck next time.

CaroLiza_fan

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Villö MARTON / Danyil SEMKO
Music: Tango: Tango in the Sky by Peter Dranga
Choreography by: Irina Zhuk, Ilona Berecz, Tibor Dalotti
Costumes: Pretty if standard red tango dress for her; basic black with major man cleavage for him

Required Elements:

Some nice in place tango steps to step. Set the mood
Serp Step Seq - the one foot work is good, if very slow. Edges are a bit shallow.
Twizzles - Level 3 for both. Competent.
AT Pattern - he fell and it fell apart.
Rotational Lift - which frankly was a bit of a mess. He's definitely rattled and it shows. And he touched down.

They actually look good together. And as Ted says, she's very supportive of him in a messy performance.

Score: 32.35 Ouch

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Much better from the Charise and Max. I'm not a dance expert, but I didn't see anything questionable.

Although, I always worry whenever I see a long flowing dress like that. It would be so easy to catch in your blade, or your partner's blade, and trip over.

And now for the first of the big hitters.

CaroLiza_fan

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Charise MATTHAEI / Maximilian PFISTERER
Music: Flamenco: Spanish Flame by Maxime Rodriguez; Argentine Tango: Tango d'Amor; Flamenco: Farrucas by Pepe Romero
Choreography by: Stefano Caruso, Barbara Fusar Poli
Costumes: VERY trad red dress for her; basic black with de rigeur man cleavage for him

Required Elements:

Flamenco steps to start us off itno
Twizzles - MUCH improved with very good coverage across the rink. Level 3 for both.
AT Pattern - Also improved, better in the hips. Mixed key points, but it had better extension
Stationary Lift - a bit slow. Level 3
Flamenco St Seq (diagonal) - She gives good face.

Score: 47.95

SB and well earned.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Mmmm. Not too sure about Darya's dress. From the front, it looks lovely. But there are too many bits cut out of it from the back. And the slit up the side goes far too high.

I actually thought it was black, and it was only when they went to get their scores that I realised it was actually maroon.

As expected, they're the new leaders. By TEN points!

British partnership now.

CaroLiza_fan

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Darya POPOVA / Volodymyr BYELIKOV
Music: Waltz: Larrons en foire by Raphael Beau; Tango
Choreography by: Larisa Fiodorova
Costumes: One armed purple dress with shredded skirt for her; white shirt and black pants for him

Required Elements:

Lovely waltz music to start. Waltz steps into
Twizzles - work on that sync guys. Level 4 for both.
Midline Step Seq - to a waltz beat. Hmm, well the phrase "easy way out" comes to mind... He does use his arms well. Level 3 for both.
AT Pattern starting with nice in hold pirouette. Pattern done to a snappy tempo which is nice. They need to work on extension extension extension. It falls apart here and never get it back together.
Rotational Lift - a bit sloppy. And the final hold was bobbled. Level 4 but minus GOE.

Slow but steady improvement from these two, but something is missing; some spark, some "it" factor. YMMV of course.

Score: 57.11

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Really enjoyed that SD from Emily and James. For a while at the start, I thought she looked a bit young to pull off the kind of character she was portraying. But, the skill of the skating soon put that thought to the back of my head.

This routine was choreographed by their coach. But, I'm looking forward to seeing their FD, which was choreographed by Penny and Nick.

Into a deserved 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] place.

CaroLiza_fan

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Emily ROSE BROWN / James HERNANDEZ
Music: Tango Instrumental - Mgzavebi by Roni Benise; Bamboleo by Gypsy Kings
Choreography by: J. Young
Costumes: Red dress with black patterning overlay for her, black shirt and pants with sheer side panels for him

Required Elements:

AT Pattern - need extension and speed. Without that it comes across as a bit small. Mixed KPs
Twizzles - With hop entrance. But not bad, again, slow slow slow and they drifted apart
Midline Step Sq - nice and close with good edges (and some nice modified samba rolls in there) but man they are SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Level 2.
Rotational Lift - good positions. Again, work on the speed. It will really sing. Level 4.

They have a really good dance here. Choreographically, I think it's one of the season's best. They also have great expression. But the dance needs more ATTACK, more tango character. But I like the choreography a lot. Watch for the small moves not in the elements that really just have so much potential to lift this dance out of the pack. I want to see how this dance develops. It certainly has potential galore.

Score: 50.88

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Darja NETJAGA / Marko Jevgeni GAIDAJENKO
Music: Tango: "Take the Lead" by Veronica Verdier; Tango: "Tango Mistico by Tanghetto;"
Choreography by: Julia Semjonova, Natalja Janovskaja
Costumes: Basic black tango drag for both. Nice tunic jacket for him

Required Elements:

Twizzle with hop entrance. Not much coverage and a bit piroutte-y Level 3 for her 4 for him
Rotational lift - nice Level 3
AT Pattern - NOTICEABLY slower and man those hips, you could drive a truck through them.
ML ST Seq - Level 1 and it shows. They're trying to cover it up with drama.

And drama they certainly bring to this. They look good together. Interesting to see how they develop. Need to work on the basics. The performance is far far ahead of the tech.

Score: 47.73

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Good luck to Alicia and Paul, my Canadian favourites. Please, please, please, skate error- and fall-free.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My jaw just dropped when I saw Igor Eremenko's name. He's been around for donkey's years! :shocked:

Then I remembered that the age limit for the guys in Ice Dance was 21. And he just about scrapes in as being young enough for Juniors.

I miss Eva...

CaroLiza_fan

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Francesca RIGHI / Aleksei DUBROVIN
Music: Tango: Tango de Besame by Robi Benise; Samba: Vamos a bailar by Gypsy Kings
Choreography by: Corrado Giordani
Costumes: Red dress with black patterning for her with Juliet neckline. He in red/black shirt and black pants

Required Elements:

Big tango steps to start into
Twizzles a bit out of sync there guys but level 4 for both
SL Lift - this could be sharper. It's a good lift. Level 4
AT Pattern - a bit stalky. Her turn could be sharper. Mostly missed the KPs. Tempo change into
Cir Step Seq - well that picked up the energy nicely. Level 2.

They do both PERFORM this. No holding back. Which is nice to see. Again, the performance is far more advanced than the technique.I want to cut his hair.

SCORE: 51.48

SB for them, over the brits. Hmmmmm....

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Polina IVANENKO / Daniil KARPOV
Music:
Choreography by: Mikhail Kolegov
Costumes: Very unusual green dress with sequined straps for her; grey pants and vest with red/maroon shirt for him. It's a whole lotta costume.

Required Elements:

Serpentine St Seq - Bringing the Uber Drama!
AT Pattern - lovely edges. and my screen froze.

Not just my screen, it froze the entire browser. And of course Firefox thought it would be a wonderful time to install updates. Sorry guys.

As with all the Russian junior ice dancers, the basics are all very good. And it's very very very dramatic. I just didn't get much of an AT feeling from this fro mwhat I saw. Attack, attack, attack, but where's the warmth and sensuality? I'm not talking sexuality. I'm talking the sheer pleasure of two bodies moving to music. I'm not getting that feeling.

Score: 59./78 SB. Will have to see the replay. GRRRRRRRRR

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Came over from Finlandia, and S/E are good as expected (although I think she stumbled on her twizzles). Finals are going to be a tough battle between them and L/L.

Send my love to the person who hung the poster for Younghyun.