2018 NHK Free Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Free Dance

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You could tell by the look on Jon Guerreiro's face after H/B skated that he knew they had won.

auser

Record Breaker
Ah I'm on DSL--the perils of a strict budget--and sometimes that happens. It's just really bad today in a way it hasn't been in years. Figures! LOL!
Me too DSL. Have to upgrade my interior wiring. Maybe after I am done with the plumping :laugh:.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I wonder if somehow Love Story is even more tragic in French. Like the guy decides he can't go on and offs himself by throwing him self into the Seine or something. BTW.. I hate that movie. "Love means never having to say your sorry" is the biggest piece of malarkey I've ever heard in my life. Every time I've been in love I've practically had "I'm sorry" on speed dial.

Oh I love it precisely because it's just Phony Baloney from the opening frame. Especially her lying in the bed supposedly dying of some rare form of leukemia. It looks like a Vogue magazine shoot.

Can you imagine what the Divorce Court judge would say if Ryan O'Neal and/or Ally McGraw said, "Love means never having to say you're sorry." He's have them both committed.

But as bad as it is, the sequel, Oliver's Story, is just so much more deliciously WORSE!

:hap57:

markovai

Rinkside
Just noticed this in the protocol for one of the teams:

ChLi1 1.10 0.08 1 2 1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -2 1.18

I am totally confused: how can you have +0.08 from GOes if 6 of the individual GOEs are negative and the other three are 1,1,2? Can anyone explain?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Just noticed this in the protocol for one of the teams:

ChLi1 1.10 0.08 1 2 1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -2 1.18

I am totally confused: how can you have +0.08 from GOes if 6 of the individual GOEs are negative and the other three are 1,1,2? Can anyone explain?

I think this is due to the difference in the magnitude of the points that the positive GOE scale versus negative GOE scale translate to:

Choreographic Dance Lift ChLi1 4.15 3.32 2.49 1.66 0.83 1.10 -0.22 -0.44 -0.66 -0.88 -1.10

The 2 (highest) and -2 (lowest) would get dropped. There are 2 +1 GOE and 5 -1 GOE remaining. So the GOE is [ 2 x 0.83 + 5 x (-0.22) ] /7 = +0.08

markovai

Rinkside
I think this is due to the difference in the magnitude of the points that the positive GOE scale versus negative GOE scale translate to:

Choreographic Dance Lift ChLi1 4.15 3.32 2.49 1.66 0.83 1.10 -0.22 -0.44 -0.66 -0.88 -1.10

The 2 (highest) and -2 (lowest) would get dropped. There are 2 +1 GOE and 5 -1 GOE remaining. So the GOE is [ 2 x 0.83 + 5 x (-0.22) ] /7 = +0.08

Thank you, yes, you are right and your explanation is correct. However, this is one more time an illustration of how deeply wrong is the math behind the GOEs for the Choreographic elements. Only 1.10 basic value for all of them (with no levels, i.e. no say from the technical panel) and then these enormous values from positive GOEs, which can increase the basic value from 1.10 to 5.25, i.e. 500%, and can allow the absurdity we see with the above result - 6 judges think that the element is not good, but the final value is still increased. SImply ridiculous, imo.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Just watched Hawayek/Baker's FD - this what I missed in their RD, having this effortless manipulation of music by nuance. And this FD, even from the first look of it, seems to have something very important that e.g. Hubbell/Donohue's FD does not have in my opinion: the feel of being inspired by the music AND transferred into the program, performance, emotion generated through it. It clearly shows that the music lifts them and they want to sustain this moment - it was not perfect (yet), but it was totally believeable and captured the spirit of the song very well.

What I appreciate the most is movement phrasing along the lyrical parts of the song - the great sense in them of highlighting the loud climax and quiet, more intimate moment with equal power, the subtelty in some of transitions (the beginning after 'In This Shirt' came is gorgeous!) and rare understanding of pause in motion - it was incredibly thoughtful, music & emotion-focused performance that actually had this physicality notion to it instead of making it all floaty.

There is a huge potential in that FD, to make it more detailed yet effortless, more impactful and 'in the feels'. I think though that from execution/choreo points it would be worth to re-think lifts and transition into the spin (funny enough for me this is a team with way stronger step sequences than lifts which is a total rarity). All in all - very luminous performance with earthy notion to it, a real affection, emotion and having it towards each other, the music and the moment. Comparing this to 'Liebestraum' program, I see more care put into voicing through the movement their feeling, relations to the music, being closer to the ice than having that whimsical, dreamy character to it. Cannot wait to see it live in Grenoble:)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So happy for the Americans but heart broken for Z and G. I know the Brits and H and B were probably favored to beat the Russians but they must be heartbroken. The americans are just too strong and powerful. Now I feel so bad that my team who wanted to make a big move Gilles and porier probably arent going to the GP finals.

rain

Record Breaker
No, but it is a bit hard. The first way I can think of for it to happen would be Sinitsina/Katsalapov messing up in IdF and coming 4th or lower with G/P 2nd and maybe H/B 3rd. Assuming S/B win at CoR, then we could have H/D (1/1), S/B (1/1), G/F (2/2), H/B (1/3), G/P (2/3), Z/G (2/3).

Unless H/B finish 5th or lower in France, I don't think we can have all 3 of G/P, Z/G and S/K in.

Personally, I think G/P deserve it more than Z/G since their scores show they are more competitive with the top teams, so I hope they make it. But I like Z/G too.

If all of G/P, S/K and Z/G end up with 2nd/3rd combos, Z/G will likely to be the ones to miss based on scores.

It will be a huge shame if G/P don't make the final - it will be due to the relative strength of the fields in which they've had to compete this season. They could have easily won here, for example. But luck of the draw is still fair and square. Here's hoping they make it though. They have my two favourite programs of the season so far (haven't seen the French yet).

H/B find out they won was adorable. It's really nice to see a team that's faced such adversity the last few years have a breakthrough moment.

skatemd1

On the Ice
Sorry folks.
Virtue Moir do not own Moulin Rouge and Guillaume & Gaby do not own "To build a home"

I liked the Parsons' interpretation.

I'll just show myself out :)

H/B were great but thrilled to see Parsons/Parsons win their first GP medal with a free dance that was just spectacular. Loved the emotion, the closeness, the edges, the partnering, wow. This was one of the best I've seen all year. Forgot anyone else did this song, as they clearly are feeling it. Lots of growth this year and more to come from this pair, I think.

skatemd1

On the Ice
By rights that should be a SB for them. That twizzle sequence was huge.

They have a different style from P/C, but yes it was a gutsy of them to do this.

Agreed. Their twizzles were spectacular, and I like this music choice for them, and their interpretation as well as the cuts are quite different and fresh. Love this program and this music. Thought their score was lower than it should have been, but nice to see both US teams win medals! Onward and upward.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I'm so happy for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. The way they float across the ice, how the music builds, how their movements match the nuances of the music - I love everything about this performance. Congrats to your first GP gold!!!

Winnie

Rinkside
Sorry folks.
Virtue Moir do not own Moulin Rouge and Guillaume & Gaby do not own "To build a home"

I liked the Parsons' interpretation.

I'll just show myself out :)

I am a pretty big fan of Papadakis and Cizeron and loved that FD, but I also love the Parsons interpretation. I think it is also helpful to know that it is personal for the Parsons and dedicated to their aunt who passed away.

Ross74

Medalist
I'm so happy for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. The way they float across the ice, how the music builds, how their movements match the nuances of the music - I love everything about this performance. Congrats to your first GP gold!!!

I've just finished my 5th repeat watch and I like it more and more every time I see it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am a pretty big fan of Papadakis and Cizeron and loved that FD, but I also love the Parsons interpretation. I think it is also helpful to know that it is personal for the Parsons and dedicated to their aunt who passed away.

I appreciate the balance. :)

Personally, I know this is like probably blasphemous, but I actually like Papadakis/Cizeron's 2016-2017 FD best, so I don't have any like super attachments to the 2016 dance to them. And I think the Parsons do take a different approach to it (and I like it).

LaArdilla

Medalist
I have just woken up and what do I find? H/B won and the British babies had the best FD? Gosh, I did not have much luck in predictions but huge congrats to everyone. I was heartbroken to hear of P/C’s WD, but it must have been an awesome event anyway. To think the only free program I saw live here was Men... 😫

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry, with switching over to the World Feed stream to watch the end of the Gala, I forgot to remind you that highlights of the Free Dance are on Eurosport 2 NOW

Here is the link for the archived British Eurosport 2 highlights on the Player (starts at 7m 48s. LIVE coverage of Gala at start. Highlights of Ladies FS at 1h 7m 00s):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/figure-skating-grand-prix/99cff3cb-8c0b-472d-85d6-e33e51584f29

They started with #4. Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON, GBR

Hope this helps, and sorry for the late notification.

CaroLiza_fan