2018 NHK Rhythm Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Rhythm Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It would be nice with shorter sleeves, too. But the hair, makeup and dress color are on point for the tango, and she seems really mature and confident in the characterization. Totally works for me. :)

Yes, I'm definitely seeing a new level of maturity for both of them, both in the program (it's not a spoof or a sex fest; it has emotional heft) and their on-ice demeanor.

skatemd1

On the Ice
They have a 1.64 lead on the Parsons. I'll be interested to see how it plays out tomorrow, since they haven't competed the FD at all yet. The Parsons FD was a bit stronger than their RD at their last comp, so if H/B are rough they could pass them.

Actually, the Parsons SB FD score is nearly 3 points higher than Z/G's, but I expect that will change after tomorrow.

Parsons are definitely in this. Loved their skate in RD and their FD is definitely good enough to put them in medal contention (for any of the medals). Their power, poise, and skating skills are just off the charts. Love watching these guys. H/B too but agree they looked a bit rough, but still very strong. Z/G had the best skate I've seen from them, so congrats. Thought all these top 3 were terrific! Can't wait till tomorrow.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Work done, quick review of the teams I missed:

- Wang/Liu keeps on getting better with every performance. Sure, they aren't medal contenders (yet), but the program is dramatic and fun and I love it.

- Parsons did a nice job, it's not the easiest job to do a tango with your sibling but they did well. I do prefer their FD though.

- H/B got hammered on those levels, ouch. They are good (lovely twizzles), it's just that their program doesn't stand out to me much.

oly2018

Final Flight
After watching this event and the last few events, I am starting to get annoyed with this new GOE system. What is the point of even trying to skate your best and get your levels when you can score higher with a Level + insane GOE? If it's the rhythm dance, the pattern and the quality of the pattern should matter more than anything else.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After watching this event and the last few events, I am starting to get annoyed with this new GOE system. What is the point of even trying to skate your best and get your levels when you can score higher with a Level + insane GOE? If it's the rhythm dance, the pattern and the quality of the pattern should matter more than anything else.

Well, I'm not a fan of the decrease in BV difference between levels, but quality of the pattern is not the same thing as hitting keypoints, so I do sometimes understand.

oly2018

Final Flight
Well, I'm not a fan of the decrease in BV difference between levels, but quality of the pattern is not the same thing as hitting key points, so I do sometimes understand.

I see what you're saying, I think I didn't express my feelings well. I think the scoring just feels even more political to me.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am a bit surprised H/B aren't in the lead. I kind of thought the US could even go 1 and 2 here. Good for the Russians. But both Americans can beat the Russians in the free. And the Chinese are setting themselves nicely for Beijing and team gold. I like the Canadian team but they have to hit their levels and tech. I am interested to see how they develop. He especially has quality edges.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I've only watched H/B thus far (still sad P/C aren't here). Ugh about their levels today and the stumble. :gaah: Jean-Luc is such an amazing ice dancer!! I so want them to move up this year but they need to go clean for a few competitions in a row to build momentum. Looking forward to the FD :pray:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think Z/G are a lock to win at this point. That will put them in the GPF and I think S/B will win their next GP so two Russian teams in the GPF and maybe only one American team. When was the last time that happened. Also unless G/P really have a great skate in France maybe no Canadian team either.

Right now it is H/D and G/F who are in, correct?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If Zahorski & Guerreiro win here, they would actually be ahead of Guignard & Fabbri, because G&F only have two second places, which is the same number of points as first place plus third place (15+11=26)(13+13=26). The first tie breaker is the highest placement, which Z&G would win.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2018/gpsdance.htm

The interesting thing is just possibly Gilles & Poirier could make it, if they beat Sinitsina & Katsalapov in IdF.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
If Zahorski & Guerreiro win here, they would actually be ahead of Guignard & Fabbri, because G&F only have two second places, which is the same number of points as first place plus third place (15+11=26)(13+13=26). The first tie breaker is the highest placement, which Z&G would win.

The interesting thing is just possibly Gilles & Poirier could make it, if they beat Sinitsina & Katsalapov in IdF.

Maybe. They need to place better than Mc/C did with 9 points. If they could get a second at the GP of France it would really, really help them I think. But then I suck at working these kind of things out.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
This whole event felt very... uneventful. :confused2:

I have to agree in some sense of uneventfulness as for rather mediocre performances from majority of teams (although with good efforts) and a notion of work in progress for some. But it was also an event where I am not a fan of most of these RDs unfortunately, so the feeling is subjective.

I was glad to see Skoptcova/Aleshin in better shape this time, I very much liked the sense of equal effort and visibility of both of them in the performance. It was nothing wow nor extraoridinary, their partnerings and extensions, speed overall needs work, but the program shows off them nicely and gives a promise of further development.

We can say whatever we want about Tiff and Jonathan, but they really nailed technicalities of that RD - pattern looked sharp, sleek, well punctuated with rhythm and even from both partners, steps were pretty detailed and in character, they performed quite convincigly overall. Their tech edge and how good they are seems to perform together actually are highlights of that somewhat bland RD in my opinion as for sole construction level, music and styling, also maybe some frantic, unfinished feel at places - but they sure are growing it by strides. Tiff in emerald green dress with ruby rhinestones and bold lip is now my dream vision of her look.

I liked Parsons more in previous outings as for that RD. Still, a solid performance with always high level musicality and movement finishing, especially from Michael who really can lead, present partner and look fabulous, his basics are top shelf.

I dig that original concept for Chinese team, a breath of fresh air in pretty condensed RD aesthetic, they improved performance quality and added more detail in movement, but it is yet to feel effortless and having proper speed.

Carolanne and Shane's RD is not my cup of tea, although this was the best performance of it yet to date in my opinion - there was a sense of unity and going in the same tempo by both of them, less rushing od movement and messy connections. They chose very modern outtake of Tango aesthetic and for me it has to have some level of finesse, sleekness to it to feel that modernity and nuance of direction took on - they are often jumping too ahead of music for me and there is none of that 'seductive expectation', prolonging the vibe moment which music has to it. And pattern again looked messy, especially Carolanne looks slow, cautious and stumbly yet again this season while skating it...

In all honesty, I have no clear opinion on Hawayek/Baker's RD - it is a big shame that they missed early Autumn challenger season to test waters with that program. It unfortunately shows now as it feels (and kinda looks too) unfinished and basic (?). There is such subtle musicality in their movement and an ability to effortlessly nuance music by motion, I wish it was already there to add some 'wow' factor to this program (pattern though was a highlight in terms of musicality). I wish also that their expression, interpretation would have some 'kick' to it, differentiation in shades, intensity coming from not only faces, but movement - it all felt too mellowy, too hung in the air instead of bold on the ice. I am not fan of all these sliding-like transitions, they are not going in musical Tango vein for me, 'relaxing' impact strenght of the performance. Also, lift is too simple in a bad sense: has nothing to highlight musical climax and make that point at the end of the program (it could be watered down though due to Jean-Luc's early season problems). Saying all of that, he still is a class on his own, how effortlessly he commands attention and owns the space by just top notch quality basics, it is a joy and priviledge to witness.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Maybe. They need to place better than Mc/C did with 9 points. If they could get a second at the GP of France it would really, really help them I think. But then I suck at working these kind of things out.

Gilles and Poirier have a third place (11 points)

P&C are not listed for IdF. The top scoring team there is S&Z, who already have a second place. If G&P win, and S&Z are second, G&P will have 26 points, as will S&Z and G&F, but the tie breaker again is first place-.

Looking at CoR, Stepanova & Bukin will likely win, and like H&D, will have 30 points and be in.

The highest scoring team below S&B are Khaliavin and Hurtado with 9. Even if they won, they would only have 24 points.

The only team doing both IdF and CoR is Reed & Ambrulevius, who will no way get 26 points.

So:
H&D is a lock at 30
If I were betting,
S&Z make it with either 28 or 26 after IdF.
S&B make it with 30 after CoR.
G&F will make it with 26.
So Z&G will have 26 if they win here, 24 if they finish second.

Then P&G if they win IdF have 26, and win tie breaks.
If they finish second, they have 24.

I think G&P make it either with first or second, unless Khaliavin and Hurtado win CoR over S&B (super unlikely).

Last edited:

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight

Gilles and Poirier have a third place (11 points)

P&C are not listed for IdF. The top scoring team there is S&Z, who already have a second place. If G&P win, and S&Z are second, P&C will have 26 points, as will S&Z and G&F, but the tie breaker again is first place.

Looking at CoR, Stepanova &Bukin will likely win, and like H&D, have 30 points and be in.
The highest scoring team below S&B are Khaliavin and Hurtado with 9. Even if they won, they would only have 24 points.

The only team doing both IdF and CoR is Reed & Ambrulevius, who will no way get 26 points.

So:
H&D is a lock at 30
If I were betting,
S&K make it with either 28 or 26 after IdF.
S&B make it with 30 after CoR.
G&F will make it with 26.
So Z&G will have 26 if they win here, 24 if they finish second.

Then P&G if they win IdF have 26, and win tie breaks.
If they finish second, they have 24.

I think G&P make it either with first or second, unless Khaliavin and Hurtado win CoR over S&B (super unlikely).

I thought P and C are still listed for IdF? So realistically G&P have to get silver in order to make it...

Last edited by a moderator:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
They are, though. In the above link as well.

The top scoring team there is S&Z, who already have a second place. If G&P win, and S&Z are second, P&C will have 26 points, as will S&Z and G&F, but the tie breaker again is first place.
By S&Z you obviously mean S/K (Sinitsina/Katsalapov).

Sorry for correcting you again :eek::. I just like clarity.

I thought P and C are still listed for IdF? So realistically G&P have to get silver in order to make it...
Yes, P/C are still listed for IdF.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If G&P beat S&K, they each will have 24 points, if P&C competes and wins. Then the two teams' standing would be determined by tie breakers.

P&C would surely win & would have 15 points, but they can't make the GPF. I think they may well withdraw. It is not unusual for teams to withdraw as late as possible from a home event to help the Fed boost ticket sales.

Btw, thanks for corrections.

I am fuzzy about some of the tie breakers.

The first one is highest result.

The second is the sum of the two total score from both events.

I think the 3rd is rank of lowest ranked FD?

Fourth is the sum of both FD s?

Fifth is the best of the two FDs

Sixth is the sum of the two RD s

Seventh is the total number of teams in their two events (more is better)

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
My daughter is stretching for some reason. Apparently watching ice dance requires some physical activity.

Ugh, please ban Cell Block Tango after this season.

Just ban Chicago period. It's not like Kander & Ebb haven't written anything else other than Cabaret and Chicago. There's actually some fun numbers in a musical now forgotten but won Liza Minnelli a Tony Award: The Act. City Lights in particular has that rousing anthem feel like New York, New York (also a K&E song). I'm sentimental about it because it was the very first Broadway show I saw (yes, I was young. I was so young you cannot imagine just how young young young I was. No even younger than that!).