2018 NHK Rhythm Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Rhythm Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's clear this is their first competition of the season, but I'm seeing some improvements from the new coaching environment.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaitlin Hawayek / Jean-Luc Baker

Music: Vuelvo Al Sur by Juan Carlos Cecares, A Los Amigos by Forever Tango
Costume: Her in classic red dress, off the shoulder, with some sparkle detailing and open back. Him in black pants, white dress shirt with deep V with black lining

SqTwL4+SqTwM4 - 1.97 GOE
1TR1 YNNN - 2.41 GOE
2TR2 YNNY - -0.11 GOE
MiSt2 - 3.18 GOE. Really nice smoothness to their skating.
CuLi4 - 1.04 GOE

That should put them 2nd. I wasn't amazed by the program, but it was well skated and they have a lot of quality. Good musicality. I wasn't quite there for the passion they seemed to be going for, but it's the first time out.

Score: 70.71 (2/9).

Tech score dropped a bit, but the PCS kept them ahead of the Parsons.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
H/B ‘s First pattern looked fine to me??? What is happening....levels are slipping on everything???

Tech panels have been VERY strict this year, which I think is a Very Good Thing, what with the already insane GOE inflation going on. No judges, we're not stupid. We see what's happening.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
H/B ‘s First pattern looked fine to me??? What is happening....levels are slipping on everything???

Yes, for my amateur eye it looked good, great musicality throughout it, but I am yet to educate myself on keypoints...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Good effort, particularly given Jean-Luc's concussion and the inability to do any Challenger events, but that's not going to be enough to catch Tiff and Jonathan.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Not amazing levels for Kaitlin and Jean Luc, but some healthy GOE (except for the second pattern - I must have missed an error).

I do think they should change Kaitlin's dress though.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Oh wow, my predictions are mess and it is quite crowded race for silver and bronze!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, Tiffany and Jonathan, just don't fall in the free and this thing is wrapped up.

And that's it for me tonight, as it's now 1 AM here. I'll have to wake up and see how everybody else did.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
You can smell the newness of the program. It's pretty comparable to Z/G's first outing this season: Potential, Potential, Potential, but rough around the edges. Don't forget that H/B won their Junior Worlds on their pattern dance, so i fully expect this to get polished over the course of the season.

Liked the twizzles with the difficult entrance and exit. For a physically small team, they skate with an enormous amount of Presence.

The GOEs tell me that the judges WANT to reward them. They just need to sharpen and polish and hit their levels.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They have a 1.64 lead on the Parsons. I'll be interested to see how it plays out tomorrow, since they haven't competed the FD at all yet. The Parsons FD was a bit stronger than their RD at their last comp, so if H/B are rough they could pass them.

Actually, the Parsons SB FD score is nearly 3 points higher than Z/G's, but I expect that will change after tomorrow.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Not amazing levels for Kaitlin and Jean Luc, but some healthy GOE (except for the second pattern - I must have missed an error).

I do think they should change Kaitlin's dress though.

I really like Kaitlin's dress, particularly the beading. What do you think she should change?
I'm glad to see them back after the injury. If they can clean up the patterns and stay healthy, they should easily rise above their perennial pewter spot at Nats. (I sure hope so, they're my sentimental favorites.)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I really like Kaitlin's dress, particularly the beading. What do you think she should change?
I'm glad to see them back after the injury. If they can clean up the patterns and stay healthy, they should easily rise above their perennial pewter spot at Nats. (I sure hope so, they're my sentimental favorites.)

I think with the long sleeves and length, it's a bit severe/mature for me. She and Jean Luc get criticized for looking young but it can be a strength too. I'd like a cap sleeve or slightly off the shoulder design, maybe.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I think with the long sleeves and length, it's a bit severe/mature for me. She and Jean Luc get criticized for looking young but it can be a strength too. I'd like a cap sleeve or slightly off the shoulder design, maybe.

It would be nice with shorter sleeves, too. But the hair, makeup and dress color are on point for the tango, and she seems really mature and confident in the characterization. Totally works for me. :)