2018 Russian Nationals live reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian Nationals live reports

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

I just want to see the Hermitage once before I die. It's one of THE great art collections and the building is jawdroppingly beautiful. Plus you have the BETTER version of Matisse's Dance (NYC MoMA has the other one).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Ok, we are on the train and in 4 hours will be in Moscow. There is a nice private compartment in Sapsan in the first car. Sort of private, though. And the horn just keeps honking. No sleep. Let's watch some Japanese ladies. In fact we have sort of an argument with my wfe who vots for a movie.

Sam L

Medalist
Ok, we are on the train and in 4 hours will be in Moscow. There is a nice private compartment in Sapsan in the first car. Sort of private, though. And the horn just keeps honking. No sleep. Let's watch some Japanese ladies. In fact we have sort of an argument with my wfe who vots for a movie.

Sapsan is nice, so fast. Are you not watching ladies free?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Sapsan is nice, so fast. Are you not watching ladies free?

I tried by the stream was not there. Ok, we had a nice lunch at Astoria and now moving to the rink.

Astoria is one of St. Petersburg's landmarks. It shares the same building with Angleter where one of the most famous Russian poets Sergei Esenin hanged himself.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
We arrived at the middle of the second group. The seats are OKish but there is just too little space between the rows. Not possible to stay for a multi-hour marathon, for sure.

Boikova-Kozlovskiy are home crowd favorites - a lot of toys at the end. But they were very rough lifts including. Pavlyuchenko-Khodykin are from Moscow. That's why only one small toy. But they were much more enjoyable. Sharp throws, SBS triples. Good potential for sure. I would place them ahead of B/K.

OK, now the final group. Astakhova still cannot jump, alas.

Z/E skated beautifully. A big progress since last season. But their technical is just not there. And, boy, she is very skinny - saw her from 5 meters. She was not like that a year ago. The score? Did not expect that much, frankly.

S/K program could be a masterpiece from the outstanding pair. But it turns out to be continuous pain. I am absolutely with those who suggest to reduce pcs substantially after falls. They do distract a lot, they break the flow of emotions. That's what happened to me here - there was a lot to enjoy like out of this world final lift. And I almost recovered but then this final throw...the score is ridiculous - the audience whistles and booes.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
T/M were solid but their skating does not inspire me. A well-deserved win but I am unsure if they will be able to get to Olympic podium with this program.

And now to the main event. Gracheva has some nice qualities to her skating. Not a top level yet. The fall looked scary.

Grandma did not have the skate of her life tonight for sure. Enjoyable, anyway especially the step sequence at the end - wish the whole program had that drive.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Yakovleva - very rarely do I find programs of Russian ladies boring, both senior and junior. Here was an exception. Some nice rippon jumps but the program is a snoozefest.

Abba girl meant business today. Quite a contrast to those who skated before her, sorry Grandma. Good speed till (a bit slowed down at the end). Nice elevation at her 3T in the opening combo. Very nice flow out of jumps. Her skating style is a bit outdated same as her music - enjoyable, anyway. The score could be higher.

Sofya "model" Istomina has some uniqueness about her. Good energy, nice presence. Needs to work on her jumps.

Radionova in the first group... I liked her today. It was a well coordinated skating and a well-balanced program. Still 2 major and some minor mistakes. She should not be above Mikhailova but I think she will. Oh yes, 130 for such a program. Let's see what is going to happen next.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Stasya was like a hurricane. With a speed of a meteor she covered enormous areas. Her posture does not look that distracting as on TV. And once again one can die for her speed and presence. It's just impossible not to follow her when she skates. Of course, overscored but this was the skate of her life so far.

Anna Tarusina - just wow. What if? What if she had not had this terrible accident a year ago? Could she be at the same level as Zagitova now? Amazing musicality, amazing quality of landings. And it's not easy for her because of the back - she cannot do a bielmann. And in general spins are more troublesome for her than jumps. Underscored vs. Radionova.

After Tarusina Gulyakova's skating looked very athletic if not heavy. There are good qualities about her jumps (aside the unnecessary fall) but she lacks the charisma - the program is forgettable.

Panenkova's jumps are amazing. Her first half is empty: empty - the opposite of full as Gary Oldman said in Fifth Element.

Sofia Samodurova's program is beautiful. It looks better live than I remember it from TV. And they Sofia behind Radionova - unfair.

Sima's program has potential. Today she did not realize it in full because she mostly fighted for landings. Sima's improving for sure - kudos to Pluschenko.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Gubanova skated beautifully. Some shaky landings could not detract from her overall smoothness. But she is no longer that fragile angel she used to be. In fact she looks quite heavy on the ice.

I just don't have words to describe Kostornaya's skating. It's perfection. I would give her Medvedeva's scores even now. But she is so tiny - you won't feel it on the screen.

It was hard to watch Liza after Alena although she did what she could. It was not bad - it just was not not magic.

Polina started with gigantic 3Lz-3T - I've never seen anything like that. She was good - she was lightning fast at the level of Konstantinova until that unfortunate 3Lz attempt. After that she lost the speed - she lost motivation. Looks like she lost the ticket to Korea, alas.

Maria was doing fine the first half. Then she lost the speed and became shaky and nervous. Her last spin was painfull to watch. Not her best skate for sure. Too high stakes? Well, that's some big overscoring - I mean this was not 221 skating.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Zagitova is a wonder - no doubt about it. Outside one shaky landing it was just too good to be true - now she is a rival to Medvedeva

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I just don't have words to describe Kostornaya's skating. It's perfection. I would give her Medvedeva's scores even now. But she is so tiny - you won't feel it on the screen.

Trust me, a lot of us did. She is incredible to watch.

Thank you so much for all your reports !

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
So, we are back to a speed train. Going home this time not with skaters.

Gala was not as good as in Chelyabinsk last year. Some skaters "took a day off". Lord Samarin for example looked as if he had had very big celebration the previous night. Same with Sotskova. I hope they will be more serious during international galas.

Alena Kostornaya does not have a special exhibition program so that she skated her short reinforced with 3Lz-3T instead of just 3Lz. I saw her fall for the first time. Then she tried some crazy combo when summoned to the final line-up and stumbled. Good thing that she is ambitious and pushes herself up - there's something in common among top Eteri's girls. I recall Medvedeva's 3S-3T-3T last year in Chelyabinsk. Actually, Zagitova tried 3Lz-3T-3Lo and also stumbled.

Artur Dmitriev showed beautiful clean rippon 3A first and then tried 4A. It was not a successful attempt but anyway he wants to make history.

A/R proved another time that they are better exhibition than competitive pair. Creative program, impressive extensions, clean as a whistle SBS 3S.

Z/E have impressed me this time as a pair with strong SS. They improved a lot and it was even more clear during the gala. But they are losing the tech - only a double twist and a fall (if I am not mistaken). I think if they become consistent they can make a very big splash, finally.

S/K are sublime. For me skating wise they are absolutely the best together with S/H. But unlike the Chinese they have very serious tech challenges. It was clear even during their exhibition program.

We met with Sugarpova during intermissions and had profound discussions about the state of Russian figure skating and a bit about GS forum and some current trends here.

All in all 2 enjoyable Christmas days! Thank you all for reading this!