2018 Skate Canada Pairs Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Pairs Short Program

AJVMSA8588

On the Ice
draqq, fair-fair. . .I have loved P/J character seemed they became a pair, though! They get to train with Sui/Han (when healthy) and lag behind their commitment too. . .but they are on their way! I thought the Ophelia program was adorable

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
As is often the case in figure skating, I feel the judges got the order right, although not for the right reasons, but mostly I’m relieved that the order isn’t nonsensical.

Nika09

On the Ice
I'm a quite big fan of J/C but actually...P/J deserved first place today. Anyway, it's just an amazing program from Vanessa and Morgan. StSq is spectacular!
And I like P/J program too, they totally sell it today, "she" I'd say

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Success is a great motivator for a Pairs team.

True, but if you're not really acting like a team, then how do you ever get success? Perhaps they were able to thrive on more tension--certainly the result has been good the last year or two.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
True, but if you're not really acting like a team, then how do you ever get success? Perhaps they were able to thrive on more tension--certainly the result has been good the last year or two.

Chemistry is a weird thing. I've seen relationships thrive on endless bickering.

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
Amazing pairs competition! I am very proud of B/K, for their first GP competition they performed really well.:luv17:

Also P/J was a great surprise for me, technically speaking they were undoubtedly the best team today: better SBS jump, throw jump, their lifts looked more efortless than for J/C.

Me personally I loved their presentation, too, but J/C skate with such power (that step sequence was lovely), so I guess they deserve their high PCS. Anyway, it will be an interesting FP, the differences are not very high so every mistake can be costly. :biggrin:

Looking forward to men's competition now! Hope we'll see many strong, clean performances from them , too :pray:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This pairs event has already left SkAm (heh, that’s an unfortunate shortening, I now realize) in the dust. Let’s hopefully keep that going tomorrow.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think it was overall very enjoyable SP, I found all performances interesting despite mistakes. From non-skating standpoint, the highlights were: Russian commentary mentioning 'our Titanic Hao Zhang', Miss ageless Silvia Fontana and Vanessa mom who easy can pass for her sister:).

Personally, I liked Camille and Andrew more than Evelyn and Trennt, maybe it is the program, but I felt just more easiness and flow in Ruest/Wolfe performance. They seemed to really enjoy the moment, shame about that throw, because all the rest was solid. I am happy though for Walsh/Michaud because of last week's trouble, Evelyn's landings were on point today.

I felt for Haven... They represent for me sort of unfulfilled promise in US pairs with good programs, but not getting jumps together. I really love their twist and wish for no falls...

Alexandra and Dmitrii looked great, she is a charmer :), I see in her a bit of Liza Tuktamisheva as a performer with that smile and attitude. I like this program a lot, with something old and a modern touch, with good dynamic, nice musicality and energy flowing. He looked more nervous that her and sometimes it showed in partnerings. I think it was a solid debut and they made a good impression, appearing quite put together as a pair. And it is always a pleasure seeing Maestra Moskvina by the boards!

Katia and Harley got even more cute, I don't know how it is possible:), she is one heck of firecracker, that save was insane. Shame about popped sbs by Harley, but it is a first jitter off new program and it will get only better I hope, because program is actually nice and she particularly seems to feel good in it, I would like see more spice and sharpness to it though but that is just my vision to the music.

I am positively and totally seduced by Peng and Jin's SP - for me a program that is fresh, nuanced with detail and attitude, but not overperformed nor forced out. Very nicely put choreography to the song that feeds off the lyrics, but is not literal or cringey - I really love these little Peng's expression moments, her gestures that go so well with the program. Same to Jin who really gave a lot of effort to smell out the program. Solid elements aside, they seem to grow as partnership in terms of presentation and got more 'light' and easiness in their performance I feel. Seeing that Vanessa and Morgan were not perfect, I wouldn't mind seeing them on 1st place to be honest...

As sappy this program is, I think that Kirsten and Michael did good job with it, she is a proper star that can sell out everything. They made a nice, compelling picture and a solid skate executed with flow and speed; I think it lacks a bit of that 'oomph' factor to stand out, but adong they perform it with purpose and solidly, they will be fine.

As for Vanessa and Morgan - I am still on the fence with that program, this time also Vanessa's costume added to this dissonant feel (although being gorgeous on her I do not see it fitting within the program, music to be honest...). Maybe it was for roughness of landings and a bit rushed elements that I couldn't appreciate the performance in full, I think that work is cut for them to polish out these landings, dismount from lift, synchronization, not overpowering substance too much with emotion, adding more control that will get that refinement, sophistication out.

Lyssa

On the Ice
Country
France
Vanessa and Morgan seem to be getting along with each other much better now too. They seem unified and like a team, no more fights in the K&C.

Success is a great motivator for a Pairs team.

Chemistry is a weird thing. I've seen relationships thrive on endless bickering.

Their new coach Zimmerman (2016-2017) had a wonderful idea
They are taken boxing classes to let off steam :laugh::laugh:

GGFan

Record Breaker
I've only watched J/C thus far and OMG :love: From the start I just noticed how much their crossovers have improved. They move as one now. Love the new costumes as well! :dance:

The only thing that I thought was a bit awkward was the lift when the music intensifies. Her landing the throw on the music is perfection and this has to be my favorite step sequence of theirs. Bravo! :clap:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just caught up with Vanessa/Morgan and Harley/Katia - very happy for them both! Harley and Katia look much more secure and smooth than in previous outings, and though it's clear they're still building the program you can get a sense of where it's going to end up now. I always think it takes longer for pairs to transition to meeting senior expectations than it does singles skaters, so I'm just happy to see them clearly on their way there.

And despite the little bobbles Vanessa and Morgan looked really good out there, and OMG they kept sync on the SBS spin for once! Yay! This program is still escalating, too, but it's much further along in the process, and what I find interesting is how much it emphasises the smoothness they've often been criticised as lacking. Teaming it with the dissonant music makes for a strong and unusual combination that suits them.

More catching up to do now!