2018 Skate Canada Pairs Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Pairs Short Program

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thinking on it: we just witnessed a day of short programs where all four disciplines featured mostly clean skating (granted, the ice dance event was rough by ice dance standards), and yet pairs was the only discipline where a pre-event podium favourite (or even multiple pre-event podium favourites) didn't have a catastrophe. Pairs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It would appear the judging community considers the FRench as world contenders. Their pcs and marks rival easily T and M who have gotten worse this year it would appear. James and Cipres are here people so watch out. They are ready for their throne. Good job by the Chinese as for the Canadians we will see if they can cling to bronze.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
James / Cipres

Wonderful red and gold-embroidered costume for James!

Ridiculously strong 3Twist. A little late on the landing for James on the 3Ts, but still safely through (the three-turn out of it is a part of the choreo but it might look like a mistake). Solid sync through the combo spins. Interesting change of position on the lift and a smooth exit. Good speed through the death spiral. Stumble on the footwork going into the throw 3F, perhaps that's why it was a little tight on the landing. Definitely more assured on the step sequence.

A few stumbles here and there from James, one on the 3T and another on a simpler step during the mirror skating when they were far apart. They will likely still go into the lead with the strength of their artistry, though they weren't as sure-footed as I've seen in their short program from prior competitions. Either way, they will likely be closer than they want to be to the other two teams.

I must be in the minority of those who don't like the costume at all. With all this red, gold and glitter it reminds me of the Roman Empire soldier armour :) I much prefer her in a catsuit.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Just watching replays now and Im just wondering how did James/Cipres awarded level 4 on their 3 twist when they only attempted 3 features???

Moore/Mariano also got level 4 in their 3 twist??? Even if Im being generous theirs is Level 2 at best.

If Moore/Mariano's 3 twist is the benched mark of a Level 4 other teams who attempted Level 4(4 features) like P/J or D/F who didtheir way better should get level 4 also but instead they got level 3.

Am I'm missing something here??

For me the only team who deserves a level 4 was ALexandra/Windsour. Theirs clearly hit all the feautures they attempted.

Kittosuni

Medalist
It would appear the judging community considers the FRench as world contenders. Their pcs and marks rival easily T and M who have gotten worse this year it would appear. James and Cipres are here people so watch out. They are ready for their throne. Good job by the Chinese as for the Canadians we will see if they can cling to bronze.

They are definitely getting love from the judges since they are getting credited with features and levels they dont even attempt.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I must be in the minority of those who don't like the costume at all. With all this red, gold and glitter it reminds me of the Roman Empire soldier armour :) I much prefer her in a catsuit.

I see the point... I think that comparing this dress to her last season one for SP (striking cobalt in daring cut) and 'Earned It' SP (black number with edgy cut, embriodery and belt details), this one is almost too 'princessy' in appearance, like an attempt to make them appear more in classical pair sense. I would much prefer making it more streamlined as for colour, for example golden top and red skirt, with open back and maybe less sparkle. But this is just my opinion, she is beyond gorgeous woman and can pull off anything:)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I caught up on pairs last night - great performances by the Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Peng/Jin, and James/Cipres. Peng/Jin might have actually been my favorite. They don't seem totally comfortable performing this SP yet but I hope they get there in time to knock it out of the park at 4CCs and Worlds. I appreciate that the top 3 are all pretty close to each other, so we could have an exciting FS today.

Alexandrovskaya/Windsor seem to be working hard to improve their performance quality, and it was cool to hear him asking about it in the KnC. Plus, Katya did one of my favorite things in pairs, which is landing a totally wonky throw jump like it's nothing. One of their coaches was loving it in the KnC!