2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info

georgia

On the Ice
one of my friends is staying at the marriott, she'll walk with us to our hotel the hyatt and then her hotel isn't too far from that so we may all actually walk her to her hotel and then come back to our hotel. I think Hyatt still has availability, just not at the special event rate.

I had res at the Hyatt, to only cancel and re book the Fairmont for $160 per night. Yay, I got lucky. I just hope some people will walk with me back and forth.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looong-time lurker/reader...
Unexpectedly have a chance to go — my husband checked his miles and said “hey- I can get you to SFO!”
But a bit overwhelmed by logistics. If I don’t get a car trying to figure out where to stay. I don’t want to be wandering around a strange city alone at night but don’t want to be bored when not watching skating either. Not opposed to people watching at official hotels lol. I was so spoiled in Boston (went to nationals & then volunteered at Worlds - nothing will compare to that level of experience lol). Stayed near official hotel both times & it’s such a compact city.
Right now I’m on the fence about going because of logistics. Anyone have recs? Would go Thurs - Sun with priority for Men’s/Dance. If I could find an all access at the cheaper price I’d grab it for practices and go to at least LP for other events but on my own I’ll piece together individual tickets.
Thank is in advance!

You may be able to ask around for roommates here too. I had a chance to go Boston Worlds very last minute, and I wound up rooming with two people from GS. It was a huge life-saver!

Gusmom

Rinkside
You may be able to ask around for roommates here too. I had a chance to go Boston Worlds very last minute, and I wound up rooming with two people from GS. It was a huge life-saver!
I've had one offer already :) But no idea where to 'properly' ask.

skatefan17

On the Ice
I live in San Jose and everyone who says getting around by Uber or Lyft being the easiest options are 100% correct. Uber is huge here and generally easy to get. The only time it might take longer than usual would be immediately after a popular competition.

Does anybody know if I just have tickets for the ladies free skate, can I also attend the senior ladies practice session? I didn't purchase an all-events pass but sort of wish I had!

Gusmom

Rinkside
I had res at the Hyatt, to only cancel and re book the Fairmont for $160 per night. Yay, I got lucky. I just hope some people will walk with me back and forth.
priceline has a deal right now that i'm 99% sure is the Fairmont (it's the only one in that star category according to past reviews). Strange but if anyone else is looking...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I live in San Jose and everyone who says getting around by Uber or Lyft being the easiest options are 100% correct. Uber is huge here and generally easy to get. The only time it might take longer than usual would be immediately after a popular competition.

Does anybody know if I just have tickets for the ladies free skate, can I also attend the senior ladies practice session? I didn't purchase an all-events pass but sort of wish I had!

Usually, you are allowed in about an hour before an event. In this particular case, you might now be allowed in till after the Ch Ladies WU. A warmup is different than a practice. The SD is right before the Ladies, of course.
Yes, In your case since you live there, it would have been best to purchase an all event package in the nose bleeds and then individual events you really want to see without binoculars or the Hubble telescope. You can see alot just by watching. But if someone were flying in for just a weekend, it might now be worth it.

I have added Lyft to my phone apps. I am very impressed by Uber and the service they give.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Looks like there are possibilities there for those that dont want to use UBER/Lyft.
http://www.vta.org/routePrint?route=201

BTW, DASH is free and runs often. I just printed out pages 1 and pages 6. Looks like a good deal. Then print out a google map with the hotels and you will be fine. Lots of good eats around, also.
If you are at the Fairmont, DASH is the bomb!
My map of downtown san jose featureing food and hotels
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/C...town san jose_zpssmivtirs.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Carolla5501

On the Ice
priceline has a deal right now that i'm 99% sure is the Fairmont (it's the only one in that star category according to past reviews). Strange but if anyone else is looking...

It was.... I just took the chance and added a night.

A.H.Black

Final Flight

You can still purchase an all-event ticket. You might even be able to find one for sale for a deal. Those practice passes are priceless.

Gusmom

Rinkside
You can still purchase an all-event ticket. You might even be able to find one for sale for a deal. Those practice passes are priceless.

I’ve been surprised that I haven’t seen even a few for resale. As of this morning they only had the most expensive all event open (& no championship weekend left).

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've had one offer already :) But no idea where to 'properly' ask.

Post in the "who's going to nationals" thread, for one, and have someone add you to the Slack discussion group. One of those should yield something, if there's anything to be yielded! Hope you find what you need :)

Gusmom

Rinkside
Post in the "who's going to nationals" thread, for one, and have someone add you to the Slack discussion group. One of those should yield something, if there's anything to be yielded! Hope you find what you need :)
Thanks! I did post in the “who’s going to nationals” thread. I know nothing about Slack but isn’t it the same people who would be reading here?
Current situation: if I can find a roommate/shared room (downtown) by tomorrow I can go. If not, it’s more than I want to spend. :( but my plane tickets will disappear by tomorrow.

temadd

Final Flight
Thanks! I did post in the “who’s going to nationals” thread. I know nothing about Slack but isn’t it the same people who would be reading here?
Current situation: if I can find a roommate/shared room (downtown) by tomorrow I can go. If not, it’s more than I want to spend. :( but my plane tickets will disappear by tomorrow.

You should check out AirBnB. You can get rooms in a shared house for great rates.

There are several options for private rooms in a house in DT San Jose for $65-$80

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So my cell carrier is having issues with getting service when their members are trying to use their cellphones outside of Alaska... I may not have a lot of access to the internet/texting while in San Jose :mad: ugh! So I may not be able to keep in contact with the group unless I can get on wifi.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does the arena have Wi Fi? (Sorry if this has been answered before)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So my cell carrier is having issues with getting service when their members are trying to use their cellphones outside of Alaska... I may not have a lot of access to the internet/texting while in San Jose :mad: ugh! So I may not be able to keep in contact with the group unless I can get on wifi.

Hi Toni -- I was wondering about Wi Fi too, and in Post #419, sandi posted the link that shows the arena has Wi Fi. Hooray!