2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

halulupu

Final Flight
4c are going to be so interersting with South Korea in full force!

Why is Lim called Squirtle? it sounds degrading

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So, 4CC ladies' SP: Young is in 3rd, Eunsoo my darling in 6th, and Yelim is frustratingly in 7th again (LET HER JOIN THE LAST GROUP :gaah:), good skates overall from the trio. Young is in Bronze position, and if she lands a clean 3A in the free among other jumps she could aim for silver as well. Yelim doesn't seem to be in the best of conditions :( but she delivered as she can, and everybody shut up about squirtle she didn't cry after her skate and she's finally getting some proper PCS that's enough for now

The men tomorrow, fingers crossed for Sihyeong and Junhyeong's 3As and a clean skate for my darling Junhwan, go skate like you did at Nats and let's have that all-TCC podium darling

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think Yelim had a great performance of her black swan and she is under-rated in terms of PCS in this field. Hope Yelim can get more exposure and appreciation in the future.
Both Young and Squirtle did a decent job. Fingers crossed for them for the free, Wish everyone can have a performance they will be proud of and really hope Squirtle can end her season with a smile:luv17:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The men are also holding up: not as quite strongly as the ladies but that's only to be expected. My darling Junhwan's still in the race for a medal, Sihyeong's dealing with ankle issues (practicing that 4S damaged them, I weep because I can't discourage him from practicing it because he does need a quad to be internationally competitive) but managed to hang onto his 3A, and our artistic mixed bag Junhyeong landed his 3A and only had one step-out with the loop! They all contributed to making the competition one of exceptional quality, I'm very much proud of them.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
How on earth do the fancams have better audio than the official stream? What kind of voodoo magic is this? :laugh:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
How on earth do the fancams have better audio than the official stream? What kind of voodoo magic is this? :laugh:

Filtering out of the second speaker (aka the stream audio). Lord I hate KSU

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Filtering out of the second speaker (aka the stream audio). Lord I hate KSU

Where is your seat? Is it the same seat throughout all event? I know you mentioned corner, and not close to the K&C, so that ruled out 1 of the 4 corners. :laugh:

Because I think the middle section on the long side of the rink has pretty good audio. Those seats directly across from the judges, or maybe just behind them.... fancams filmed from those area have cleaner sounds. The ones on the short side (the corner to the LEFT of the judges table) echos like crazy.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Where is your seat? Is it the same seat throughout all event? I know you mentioned corner, and not close to the K&C, so that ruled out 1 of the 4 corners. :laugh:

Because I think the middle section on the long side of the rink has pretty good audio. Those seats directly across from the judges, or maybe just behind them.... fancams filmed from those area have cleaner sounds. The ones on the short side (the corner to the LEFT of the judges table) echos like crazy.

Yup, that corner. It echoes like hell.

skatenewbie

Medalist
What a skate by Young You!! She must hear Bradie score when its announced yet she did not fazed at all. Yelim and Eunsoo also skate well, both get new SB and finally Yelim sneak in to top 24 SB

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Young is the first lady since the Queen (all hail) to win a 4CC medal, and it's a silver. I'm proud of all the trio, all over 200 and within the top 8. Go rock again at WC Young and Yelim, and oh my darling take your time for yourself you did so well I love you always

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Oh lord the Queen came... anyway, wanted to say, finally the trio will all get 2 GP spots

Edit: All the trio plus Haein are performing at the gala

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
5th, 14th, 17th. I have a lot of salty words but I'll refrain from saying them. I have faith that next season all standings shall rise. I'm proud of all our skaters.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
5th, 14th, 17th. I have a lot of salty words but I'll refrain from saying them. I have faith that next season all standings shall rise. I'm proud of all our skaters.

Let it out! I’m salty as hell for Jun!
Those 2 performances were the strongest from him I’ve seen, and I think the underrotations weren’t really there...
I think URs on 3A are generally harder to judge because of the nature of the jump, and his weren’t really that noticeable to me.
Tbh, I would’ve given him a pass on both jumps, those calles just seemed harsh to me personally.
I’d also give him higher PCS too :p.

Long story short, I’d have Jun on the podium in my wishful scenario.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I lived for that lovely moment when I thought Cha is going to end up on the podium. He must have been crushed when t(e scores dropped like that in K&C...

But hurray for YY, she is a wonderful new skater in the seniors!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So, before WC/JWC, there's this one last domestic competition to wrap the season up for most skaters. The 101th National Winter Sports Festival takes place Feb. 17th-21th, and has singles, ice dance (just Jeon/Choi though), and synchronized skating. While the competition is a)domestic and b)mostly featuring pre-novice to novice skaters, there are some top skaters competing here too (mostly for their college portfolios). It's not broadcasted per usual, but fancams from the blessed fancam people (Icescape Rasu, JewelSkatersCross, HeeYuHee, etc) will be uploaded.

The skaters are divided by age and level, and this requires some explaining. Age groups are formed like this: elementary, junior high, high school, college, regular. Yup, they divide by school grades (1st~6th, 7th~9th, 10th~12th) for minors, and for the legal adults you can belong in a college/university or you can be a 'regular', i.e. not attending any kind of educational institution. Since this country makes it basically mandatory for people to go to college, the 'regular' skaters usually are people who have graduated with a bachelor's degree. As for levels, they go like this:

Group D: skaters with level 1~2, think pre-novice. (for level 1 you need a waltz jump, 1T, 1S, for level 2 you need 1A, 2T or 2S, and a 1+1 jump combo)
Group C: skaters with level 3~4, think novice. (for level 3 you need 2T, 2S, 2Lo, and a 2+1 or 2+2 jump combo, for level 4 you need 2F, 2Lz, and a 2+2 jump combo)
Group B: skaters with level 5~6, the 'juniors' in the domestic sense. (for level 5 you need a 2A, for level 6 you need 3T and 3S)
Group A: skaters with level 7~8, the 'seniors' in the domestic sense. (ladies - two out of 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz for level 7, a 3+3 jump combo for level 8 / men - a 3+3 jump combo for level 7 and a 3A for level 8)

Whew that's a lot. Anyway, names of interest:

Men - Park Geonwoo, Park Sunghoon, Cha Younghyun / Lee Sihyeong, Kyeong Jaeseok, An Geonhyung / Lee Junhyeong
Ladies - Yun Ahsun / Park Yeonjeong, Lee Haein, Mo Jiwon, You Young, Ji Seoyeon / To Jihun, Lim Eunsoo, Kim Yelim, Kim Haneul / Choi Dabin, Choi Yujin, Kim Nahyun

All the reserve team (didn't mention all the ladies but they're there) and almost all of the main team are on the list. WC/JWC skaters may withdraw (esp. Sihyeong with his ankle issues) and since Junhyeong's back injury has flared up again :( he'll probably do so, but still quite some names. Sunghoon and Haneul need the best placement they can get since they need the record for their college portfolios (both are facing 12th grade now), but they'll have to fight for it. The junior high group is going to be a battle among the next JGP cycle frontrunners even with the top 2 out, and if she doesn't withdraw we'll get to see how Dabin is faring.

As a rule of thumb I don't follow skaters until they come up at the JGP qualifiers (with novice-age skaters you never know if they'll quit/be injured/start to lag behind/etc), but also on the list are quite some names that have drawn the attention of skating fans for one reason or another. If you follow our novice skaters it's going to be a very fun competition :popcorn:

Zamin

Rinkside
Is Seoyoung Wi moving up to Seniors next season? I know Ichatdelune mentioned it, if Junior Worlds go well for her, but I do find it a bit premature maybe? I don't know where Wi stands regarding to the SB list, but if she moves to Seniors, will she be able to get a GP assignment? Wouldn't it be better for her to do another Junior season (or maybe a half/half), and compete on the JGP circuit as the top Korean Junior Lady?

Anyway I just wanted to congratulate Yelim, Young, Eunsoo and Jun for their outstanding performances at 4CC :)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Is Seoyoung Wi moving up to Seniors next season? I know Ichatdelune mentioned it, if Junior Worlds go well for her, but I do find it a bit premature maybe? I don't know where Wi stands regarding to the SB list, but if she moves to Seniors, will she be able to get a GP assignment? Wouldn't it be better for her to do another Junior season (or maybe a half/half), and compete on the JGP circuit as the top Korean Junior Lady?

I do think half-and-half is being considered for my beloved Seoyoung, Yelim left a good precedent. As for her GP spot, for now she's 62nd on the WS list, so a GP isn't a guarantee for her. But then, again, Yelim was the first alternate for a second GP spot and she got snubbed *three* times and Haneul wasn't given a single spot when she was pretty high on the standings, so even Haein (49th on the WS list) can't be sure of a GP spot and she's definitely moving up. I kinda want my beloved to do half-and-half and go to JGPF (she would've done so if she and Yeonjeong had swapped second JGPs... but anyway), but it's not up to me. Again, we'll have to see how JW goes.