2019 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Free Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
also - (obviously they won't change it etc etc) BUT whenever I see their FD I always can't help but think that if it was a R&J themed FD that they wanted to do, why they didn't go with Dire Straits? It's a much more grown up Romeo and Juliet themed song, and I think it could've suited them quite well. It keeps the overarching theme, but has a mature feel to it.

(I'm sure its been covered by lots of people but the main one I can think of is The Killers.)

This is quite an interesting point to dwell on, thank you - what if they would go for R&J theme of a program than a R&J story taken literal as a foundation. I think that former does require much more thought and design provided to raise an thought/idea into flesh (choreography, musical arrangement etc.), it would be certainly more interesting to see 'adult' version of that theme: maybe more edgy, rebellious, highlighting love/relationship through less obvious reference to the actual love story, less 'innocent' and youthful. I think that this way of taking on R&J could give them more space to grow up the program in terms of being creative regarding concept, too - what irks me right now with this form of FD is that apart from changing music cuts, adding more voiceovers (and cutting out Radiohead which was the most interesting point of this program musically-wise for me) the feel of it did not change, it feels like the 'spirit' of this program did not progress more since Autumn, still being quite 'stagnant'.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I’m rewatching with the Eurosport commentary and it’s worth noting that they didn’t comment of the travel on the lift either just Maddies twizzles and they have been known to be a stickler for pointing out travel like that if I remember Europeans 2018. They were really shocked at the results and expected them to come in second.

Idk why they didn't comment it stuck out super much even the first time you watch it. At the GPF it was certainly more centered, no complaints there.

I think the camera is mounted on one of those moving arm contraptions. Lots of times spins and lifts look like they are traveling against the fixed background when really it is the camera whose angle is constantly changing, producing a parallax effect.

People in the arena watching live did not seem to notice anything amiss, compared to fans watching the video or live stream.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think the camera is mounted on one of those moving arm contraptions. Lots of times spins and lifts look like they are traveling against the fixed background when really it is the camera whose angle is constantly changing, producing a parallax effect.

People in the arena watching live did not seem to notice anything amiss, compared to fans watching the video or live stream.

It is unfortunate for Mr Donahue that there are letters there marking the space. Watch his feet. Watch what letter they start on and which letter they finish on. No parallax effect from that angle.

I would say it is more likely that people didn't notice it because how often has it been called? I honestly cannot remember a single instance of it being called.

It is unfortunate for Mr Donahue that there are letters there marking the space. Watch his feet. Watch what letter they start on and which letter they finish on. No parallax effect from that angle.

Consider a line drawn from the camera to the skaters and then on to the letters in the background. If the point where the line hits the background changes during the lift, is it the skaters who are traveling or the camera?

If the only thing the camera can do is swivel, then yes, the skaters are traveling. My question would be, is the camera mounted on a jointed arm (with an elbow or two) the better to follow the action around the rink? If so, that changes everything. (?)

https://www.broadenedhorizons.com/m...m-Jointed-Wheelchair-Armrest-Camera-Mount.jpg

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight

I would say it is more likely that people didn't notice it because how often has it been called? I honestly cannot remember a single instance of it being called.

I guess, it's unfortunate for Zach that the mistake was indelibly shown but fortunate for the winning team. They were afforded not just the benefit of the doubt but a qualified base that they did win fair and square. The stars aligned for this team to have this win _ they, I think, were robbed a couple times particularly at the Nationals and then in the World Championship. I wish them the very best at Worlds. P/C, I'm sure, will be runaway winners _ they're the darling of the judges and, yes, they were deserving most of their wins.