2019 World Team Trophy | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019 World Team Trophy

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Since scores are officials i guess that they count for the SB list. Pretty unfair IMO since WTT is basically "give me an SB" competition because of the cosmic overscoring. Daleman has all chances to get in the top 24, which means that Yelim Kim will be out. Fortunately Kanysheva will stay in juniors, so i guess that Yelim will still have a GP guaranted?

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Since scores are officials i guess that they count for the SB list. Pretty unfair IMO since WTT is basically "give me an SB" competition because of the cosmic overscoring. Daleman has all chances to get in the top 24, which means that Yelim Kim will be out. Fortunately Kanysheva will stay in juniors, so i guess that Yelim will still have a GP guaranted?

Yelim is #24, and if Gabby does get in the top 24 (not a guarantee) she will loose any “guaranteed” spots. It doesn’t matter that Alena Kanysheva is still in juniors. But Yelim will probably get a GP nonetheless. But I agree, WTT scoring is really atrocious. It makes me wonder why some skaters would miss the opportunity when they could get a WR or new SB. Remember in 2017 when Zhenya’s flutz got +3 across the board?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yelim is #24, and if Gabby does get in the top 24 (not a guarantee) she will loose any “guaranteed” spots. It doesn’t matter that Alena Kanysheva is still in juniors. But Yelim will probably get a GP nonetheless. But I agree, WTT scoring is really atrocious. It makes me wonder why some skaters would miss the opportunity when they could get a WR or new SB. Remember in 2017 when Zhenya’s flutz got +3 across the board?

Yes, an atrocity, that's the word. Total laughable scoring. Medvedeva got 160+ for her LP with PCS only 1,something away of the perfect score. While less than a month ago she got 154 for the same performance (which was already generous). And everyone else was overscored too.
These scores shouldn't be official. It's unfair.

temadd

Final Flight
These scores actually count towards seasons best?! WTT is definitely more of an "exhibition" competition with gratuitous scoring.

I enjoy watching it as a competition but it is not a real ISU competition in the way it is scored.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Trophies for everyone!

I think I got one just for watching! "Best Fist Pump When A Favorite Skater Got TWO Season's Bests!"

lzxnl

Final Flight
Trophies for everyone!

I think I got one just for watching! "Best Fist Pump When A Favorite Skater Got TWO Season's Bests!"

I do, however, hope that Rika Kihira comes up and EARNS two season's bests. And sets some well-deserved world records in the process.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These scores actually count towards seasons best?! WTT is definitely more of an "exhibition" competition with gratuitous scoring.

I enjoy watching it as a competition but it is not a real ISU competition in the way it is scored.

I don't normally get overly worked up about scoring, but I agree this is a valid point.

The scores have historically been pretty wildly inflated, and because smaller federations are locked out of WTT, it could put their skaters at a disadvantage....

Although I'd be interested to see which smaller fed skaters (if any) have been shafted because of WTT scoring... like who has been moved down the Season's Best list.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't normally get overly worked up about scoring, but I agree this is a valid point.

The scores have historically been pretty wildly inflated, and because smaller federations are locked out of WTT, it could put their skaters at a disadvantage....

Although I'd be interested to see which smaller fed skaters (if any) have been shafted because of WTT scoring... like who has been moved down the Season's Best list.

I took a look at the SB lists from the 2016-17 season, the last time WTT happened. I only looked for anyone who was pushed out of the top 24 SB and thus a guaranteed GP spot.

WTT 2017

For pairs, only Peng/Jin, Moore-Towers/Marinaro and James/Cipres got SB scores from WTT, and all would have been top 24 anyways.

For dance, five teams got SB scores, but only Chock/Bates, Weaver/Poje, and Wang/Liu were top 24. W/P and C/B would have been top 24 regardless, but W/L would not have and Kaliszek/Spodyriev would have been 24th instead of 25th. However, K/S got two GP events, so they weren't shafted.

For ladies, 6 were top 24 with a SB from WTT: Medvedeva, Mihara, Higuchi, Daleman, Radionova, and Wagner. All would have been top 24 anyways, so no one was shafted.

For men, only Kolyada and Brown were top 24 with a SB from WTT, and both would have been anyways, so no one was shafted.

WTT 2015

For men, only Hanyu and Brown were top 24 with a WTT SB. Both would have been without WTT too.

For ladies, only Gold and Wagner were, and they would have been top 24 regardless.

For pairs, Scimeca/Knierim were the only ones, and they would have been top 24 anyways.

For dance, W/P were the only ones, and of course would have been top 24 either way.

Summary: only one skater/team was pushed out of the top 24 SB list by WTT in 2017, and they got 2 GP events anyways. No one was pushed out in 2015.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I took a look at the SB lists from the 2016-17 season, the last time WTT happened. I only looked for anyone who was pushed out of the top 24 SB and thus a guaranteed GP spot.

WTT 2017

For pairs, only Peng/Jin, Moore-Towers/Marinaro and James/Cipres got SB scores from WTT, and all would have been top 24 anyways.

For dance, five teams got SB scores, but only Chock/Bates, Weaver/Poje, and Wang/Liu were top 24. W/P and C/B would have been top 24 regardless, but W/L would not have and Kaliszek/Spodyriev would have been 24th instead of 25th. However, K/S got two GP events, so they weren't shafted.

For ladies, 6 were top 24 with a SB from WTT: Medvedeva, Mihara, Higuchi, Daleman, Radionova, and Wagner. All would have been top 24 anyways, so no one was shafted.

For men, only Kolyada and Brown were top 24 with a SB from WTT, and both would have been anyways, so no one was shafted.

WTT 2015

For men, only Hanyu and Brown were top 24 with a WTT SB. Both would have been without WTT too.

For ladies, only Gold and Wagner were, and they would have been top 24 regardless.

For pairs, Scimeca/Knierim were the only ones, and they would have been top 24 anyways.

For dance, W/P were the only ones, and of course would have been top 24 either way.

Summary: only one skater/team was pushed out of the top 24 SB list by WTT in 2017, and they got 2 GP events anyways. No one was pushed out in 2015.

Very important context. So long as there aren't skaters in non-power federations who are getting screwed over, I don't care as much about the inflated scores.

The event is a bit of a joke anyway, and wild scoring is in keeping of the non-serious aspect of WTT.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Trophies for everyone!

i'm aiming to the very prestigious "meaningless shallow comment" and luckily S/B aren't there or i would be unbeatable for "inappropriate innuendo":biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Anyone know what the TV coverage will be this time? I'm based in the UK. Would be great if it's on the ISU YouTube Channel

Don't know about YouTube, but it will be on the ISU's channel on Eurovision Sports:

https://www.eurovisionsports.tv/isu/figure-skating/live.html?id=7

I'm not sure why the clock is counting down to 3am our time, though as according to the Coloured Time Schedule the Opening Ceremony isn't until 06:30 BST.

It's actually a nice time for us, isn't it? :biggrin:

Hi Chris!
I'm based in the UK too

I don't know why (perhaps you said it one time and I can't remember properly), but for a long time I've had a feeling that you were actually in this set of islands rather than the set of islands indicated by your flag.

So, thank you for confirming it! :)

CaroLiza_fan

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So long as there aren't skaters in non-power federations who are getting screwed over, I don't care as much about the inflated scores.

Though it does raise the question of to what extent the "acceptable because joke competition" score inflation at the WTT carries over into the regular season - for those skaters who actually get it, which is not always everyone - and whether that makes it harder for skaters from non-power federations to break into the higher ranks too.

LynsJ

On the Ice
With all the chat in other threads about the end of the season and what might be in store for next season, I keep nearly forgetting that this competition is about to happen [emoji23][emoji23]

Nice lineup although I wish Liza was maybe a bit later in the final group. Hoping it’s the show down of the triple axels ❤️

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice lineup although I wish Liza was maybe a bit later in the final group. Hoping it’s the show down of the triple axels ❤️

The World Standings for the Ladies:

5 Sakamoto
10 Tennell
11 Kihira
14 Bell
15 Daleman
16 Tuktamysheva

17 Samodurova
19 Lecavelier
25 Meite
40 Chartrand
68 Rodeghiero
137 Piredda

At least Liza is in the same flight as Rika.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a quick message to remind you that the Opening Ceremony will be starting in 10 minutes from now, and that the stream for it is now on air.

Here is the link for the ISU livestream on the Eurovision Sports website:
https://www.eurovisionsports.tv/isu/figure-skating/live.html?id=7

The Short Dance will be the first of the actual competitions, with the first Warm-Up group starting in 55 minutes from now.

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan