2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So I just saw the ISU interview after the ladies' SP, and Haein said there that her FS is to Black Swan. I am very much confused about this decision (like if she was going to do Black Swan anyway why bring back Firedance at the Ranking Competition).

Dawn825

Medalist
Yelim was so good, I'm rooting very hard for a top 5 finish for her. Karen shouldn't have been in 4th, but her FS content probably wont keep her there for long. The judges wont help Yelim but if she skates that well again tomorrow they wont be able to hold her back ❤

chz

On the Ice
this maybe random. anyone have access to ladies sp videos from british eurosport stream? the commentators (i think Chris was one of them) left some very good words for Haein and Yelim.. id like to rewatch that again, if possible.

clippers8200

On the Ice
The odds were always long, but so sad KR will only have two spots next year. Really hope our ladies can get some better programs and be able to compete a full GP without 1000 domestic competitions :(

gotoschool

Medalist
I hope Yelim Kim and Haein Lee can come back with more consistency in their jumps, but I actually enjoyed the performance aspect of both their programs and thought Haein Lee made a good comeback after the initial mistake on her opening combo. I was surprised that I liked Haein Lee's Black Swan a lot better than I did at Nationals and to be honest if she can hit all her jumps I think I may like it better than her Firedance because it has a little more drama and maturity, and her costume and expression is really dramatic and beautiful. Her ending pose with her head leaning back to the face the camera is really striking.

jaylee

Medalist
If we're at the point where not getting three spots is a disappointment (particularly when you know a third Korean lady would've been so deserving), then you know that the Korean ladies as a whole have come a long, long way. I prefer to look at the glass half-full.

Congratulations to Haein Lee and Yelim Kim for debuting at senior Worlds and never, ever giving up on their performances! Yelim didn't have the FS she was hoping for, but she did have a lovely SP. I was extremely impressed with Haein -- many, many other skaters would've given up after that opening combo fall. But she did not. Very gutsy and she did not let that fall affect the rest of the performance.

Though Haein was skating to warhorses, I have to admit that I enjoyed it in spite of myself (I'm not a fan of warhorses). Her choreographer, Yea-Ji Shin, managed to do something fresh with each, particularly in the footwork sequences (kudos of course to Haein for pulling it off beautifully). Still, would like to see something new next year (or bring back Firedance!).

Yelim Kim--wish she would skate to something not "love" related...lol. But I understand why, because she's very soft, graceful, and lyrical. It seems to be her bread and butter. And since the judges don't always reward programs that are outside the box, why bother changing?

Briananing

On the Ice
I hope KSU finally open their eyes and mind. Like Yelim is on top of her games in the last 2 competitions. But she clearly looked exhausted on the second half of her free program, besides the fact that she shouldered a huge burden of taking 3 spots for Korea in her first World debut without many international events under her belt. The girls had 3 competitions in the span of 1 month without having any proper training time because of the lack of ice time in Korea, but well they did their best. Still, KSU should now consider changing their rule about who would they choose to represent Korea in big events like this. The National Champion is guaranteed a spot but the 2nd or even a 3rd should be considered by seeing their track record as other countries do.

Both of these girls don't have many international events under their belt, while Young is not on her best this season, but she is reliable enough in the face of international events pressure esp since she would have her coaches with her unlike on nats and ranking competition. I think if Young goes instead of Haein, perhaps Yelim wouldn't be that tight. Still, Haein did her best and I very much enjoyed her black swan here. It s a much-improved version compare to nats.

But if I were Haein, I would not choose that free program for the Olympic season. Yes, for a season after that, but not The Olympic Season. She is better at projecting when her music is as dynamic as her movement and she could bring the stadium to the ground with her step sequences. She should keep her choreographer though, just that she needs to tell her choreographer to get a better mixer or something. Yelim, Eunsoo, and Young should keep their Short programs and focus more on their technical contents. Young would have a shot in the top 5 even medal if her 3As are solid. They do need to choose more inspired programs for their free though, Yelim especially needs a program that is not snooze-inducing and love story IS NOT IT.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
I'm so mad at the KSU, but that's a permanent state of mind at this point. How dare they schedule 2 events (especially the ranking - that event should be permanently canceled.) so close to worlds and expect good results in the same breath. Even without COVID, it's bad enough that the skaters have to deal with crappy ice rinks, limited ice time (because the rink is shared and short track is prioritized), and lack of funding. I'm still proud of Haein and Yelim in their very first worlds for holding it together in a difficult season, with olympic spots at stake. Not to mention Junhwan for a major accomplishment, continuing to forge a path in Korean men's skating. With serious contenders rising in Korea, I think it's still hard for many to grasp how poor the support and training situation still is domestically.

Briananing

On the Ice
I'm so mad at the KSU, but that's a permanent state of mind at this point. How dare they schedule 2 events (especially the ranking - that event should be permanently canceled.) so close to worlds and expect good results in the same breath. Even without COVID, it's bad enough that the skaters have to deal with crappy ice rinks, limited ice time (because the rink is shared and short track is prioritized), and lack of funding. I'm still proud of Haein and Yelim in their very first worlds for holding it together in a difficult season, with olympic spots at stake. Not to mention Junhwan for a major accomplishment, continuing to forge a path in Korean men's skating. With serious contenders rising in Korea, I think it's still hard for many to grasp how poor the support and training situation still is domestically.
I m honestly really curious how bad it is that everyone keep talking about it even a decade after Yuna won her OGM. I thought that it should have been improved seeing how solid the ladies were on nats and ranking competition, even ones who were on group 2 or 3. I Mean no offense to US ladies, but as a whole, korean ladies were more wholesome and US has so many ice rinks and figure skating clubs.

Is there anyone who has information about Canada new policy regarding covid ? Can we have Junhwan training there ASAP ? Like boy was preparing to have 3 different quads for his free and 2 for his short in 2019, but now we are down to 1 for each programs. Even Jason could train in Canada and we know how bad the US manage the pandemic, while we have Korea whom sort of become The Standard since day one and here they can't even send their top main skater to train properly.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I m honestly really curious how bad it is that everyone keep talking about it even a decade after Yuna won her OGM. I thought that it should have been improved seeing how solid the ladies were on nats and ranking competition, even ones who were on group 2 or 3. I Mean no offense to US ladies, but as a whole, korean ladies were more wholesome and US has so many ice rinks and figure skating clubs
I think overall situation in Korea with skating has improved, it’s just KSU as an organization doesn’t know how to strategize, how to advocate for their athletes and how to at least not be in their way, when they’re trying their best to deliver.
That ranking competition so close to worlds was so unnecessary.

Look at Rusfed. People can give them crap, but Rusfed are super smart even with how they distribute skaters on JGP assignments to ensure the maximum success. That’s the level of their involvement. KSU, I have a feeling, unfortunately always does the opposite. They give unnecessary bureaucratic problems to athletes, instead of making their life easier.

Last edited:

Briananing

On the Ice
Does brad griffies do haein lee's dresses?
I don't think so. Korean skaters except Eunsoo's 3 Lisa mckinnon dresses, seem to always stick with korean costume designers. Last year costumes were by edge plus, this year, i don't know. But the black swan costume seems to be inspired by yelim's black swan by ahn gyumi just more refined and simple. So it could be done by edge plus inspired by ahn gyumi, since edge plus style is more simple but elegant while ahn gyumi is a bit more brave in choosing colour palettes and style. Or may be it was designed by a completely different designer i have mentioned. We need to summon the korean fans here to clarify lol.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
I don't think so. Korean skaters except Eunsoo's 3 Lisa mckinnon dresses, seems to always stick with korean costume designers. Last year costumes were by edge plus, this year, i don't know. But the black swan costume seems to be inspired by yelim's black swan by ahn gyumi just more refined and simple. So it could be done by edge plus inspired by ahn gyumi, since edge plus style is more simple but elegant while ahn gyumi is a bit more braver in choosing colour palettes and style. Or may be it was designed by a completely different designer i have mentioned. We need to summon the korean fans here to clarify lol.
Korean ladies always have the best costumes. Especially, Yelim 💕. Does Ahn Gyumi design all her costumes? Her costumes last year were just stunning ( her costumes this year are nice, too)

Briananing

On the Ice
i was right everyone. Haein black swan costume was designed by edgeplus using Yelim Black swan or even Yuna dance macabre dresses as inspiration probably. Here is the link from the IG page and if you guys want to follow edgeplus. https://www.instagram.com/p/CNZYpb0rGiS/?igshid=1evdjm895itr9

here is Yelim dress by Ahn Gyumi.

both of these designers seem to be the most prominents costume designers for korean figure skating athletes. So if anyone was curious about who made all these beautiful costumes for korean ladies, you can follow both of these accounts.