2020 Skate America: Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Free Dance

auser

Record Breaker
Wow - What a lovely program! :) It is such an improvement from their FDs the past couple of years. This program really allows them to show off all of their wonderful attributes - speed, power, and flow.
Wish they might rethink some of the music cuts. I was already actually crying during the early sung with lyrics part when the music changed. A bit jarring for me. But it is a lovely dance I agree Dr Jenn :hap10: Oh good play Forget Me Nots when the event is over so I want to watch ever more dance :laugh:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
From the experience of a former ice dancer, it's all about Baker! Kaitlyn is good too, but he's on a totally different level.
Yeah, Jean Luc has incredible skating skills and this wonderful musicality. You can tell he loves listening to, interpreting, and performing the music, regardless of the style. I also give Kaitlin credit for showing massive improvement in the last couple years; she's looking stronger and stronger.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hear people say that they watch him more. Personally I can’t take my eyes off her. For me she has presence like no other and she’s like a magnet. I’m drawn to her. I have 2 of her paintings too. I don’t think they’re limited. I’m just glad the judges like it. I got to where I couldn’t watch anymore last year. And the silver for my babies!!!!
Kaitlin paints too? Such multi-talented people these figure skaters!

I enjoyed their FD last year! Glad the judges got some good taste and enjoy this one, it's really something!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the experience of a former ice dancer, it's all about Baker! Kaitlyn is good too, but he's on a totally different level.
I’m just talking about how I...respond to them emotionally I guess. I have “babies” in every discipline. They’re such lovely people in person too. (FOFS breakfasts, not like I know any of them personally).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m just talking about how I...respond to them emotionally I guess. I have “babies” in every discipline. They’re such lovely people in person too. (FOFS breakfasts, not like I know any of them personally).
They are. Though, that can be said about 98% of figure skaters at this level and beyond. ;)

auser

Record Breaker
Yeah, Jean Luc has incredible skating skills and this wonderful musicality. You can tell he loves listening to, interpreting, and performing the music, regardless of the style. I also give Kaitlin credit for showing massive improvement in the last couple years; she's looking stronger and stronger.
Of course he is a wonderful dancer. But I hope Kaitlin knows how beautiful she is.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you want to get technical, Sound of Silence (the rock version that became popular lately, happened after it was used as a haunting mens solo in the 2016 SOI tour). Take me to Church was used way back in 2014/2015 by Lysacek.

Sure, but that doesn't negate the fact that James/Cipres picked interesting music and great choreo for both sp and fp over their last 3 seasons that have been memorable, influential and popular to the point that a number of other skaters have used some of the signature music they chose. Make It Rain, Sound of Silence (by Disturbed), and Say Something in particular have been very popular. Of course, Say Something was used previous to J/C using it, by Duhamel/Radford for an exhibition. J/C certainly made Say Something memorable with their gray costumes and wonderful choreo with lovely transitions. Their Make It Rain sp had great transitions and is under-rated. I always remember them skating to that program whenever I hear the music. I also think Earned It was used in skating after J/C popularized it. Certainly, the opening theme and movement sequence for the Earned It sp was quite influential in pairs with choreographers getting inspired. It is what it is, whether recognized or not.

I found it interesting that when Sui/Han came back from injury in the latter part of 2017, they came back with a Simon & Garfunkel song (John Legend's version of Bridge Over Troubled Water). I believe S/H were influenced in that choice after seeing J/C's success with a Simon & Garfunkel song, reinterpreted by Disturbed. I don't think S/H's choice of music that season was a coincidence. Dmitri Aliev chose to use SoS by Disturbed for his fp last season, and I don't think it worked for his style. But he must've really liked the music because his season went fairly well. I never liked that music for him though.

I think Wicked Game (which J/C used for their fp in 2018-2019), had previously been used in skating. And that same season, the Knierims used for their fp a different version of Wicked Game than the one J/C used

Last edited:

heartyxo

On the Ice
Some thoughts:

-H/D were good, but I still don’t love it. The program for me isn’t even as good as their old hallelujah program, or several of their other FDs. But unsurprisingly the twitter stans are all over it because Moir choreographed it...
-Love H/Bs FD!!
-Igor needs to stop recycling old C/B programs for his teams. First Rach 2, then Dr Zhivago, really?
-Love G/Ps free too!
-C/Y look very mature for first year seniors, which I think is a good thing.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Miles better than A Star is Born, but why not use the Jeff Buckley version all the way through? They've already used KD Lang.

I'm exhausted, going to bed now!
Ice dance rules require a change of tempo/rhythm in the FD.

I know they used the KD Lang before, but who cares. They’ve talked before about Hallelujah means a lot to them personally. It’s a stunningly gorgeous program that highlights the considerable strength of their technical ability. After two FDs that didn’t fit, this one does like a glove.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've been watching the ID at Skate america (on replay) and here's my little write-up. The Hungarians chose Pet Shop Boys to dance on. I enjoyed it (I like the music) but is was rather a simple dance - even I could see that and I'm no good in judging matters as far as ID is concerned. Eva and Logan were also enjoyable, a bit more complexity in the moves and I love his 'fall' exactly when 'tumble and fall' was sung. Lorraine and Anton did very well for a couple that's only been skating together for a short time, and had some fun moves. I was rather impressed by Molly and Yehor whom I hadn't seen before this competition, and had a really watchable Dance. In fact they came pretty close to Caroline and Michael in the Free Dance, but that was also caused by Michaels glitch on the twizzles which must have lowered their score somewhat. I can hardly believe Caroline is only 17 while she's skating (you can see it afterwards, as she has the young looks). Christina and Anthony were lovely too. I was quite happy to see something more classical in the Dances. So many young couples in Ice Dance here, at an unbelievable level. It bodes well for the future of US ID.

To me Kaitlin and Jean-Luc were something else altogether. A wondrous experience to watch. I would have had them first in the FD despite me also being impressed by Madison and Zachary. But the 'Heart of Glass' is just mind blowing to me. They both are good skaters, but watching Jean-Luc is a real treat. Thankfully, Madison wore a better dress than in the SD, and I thought the FD was very good. Loved the Dance lift at the end. But as a whole - to me - not so good as 'Heart of Glass'. That was the highlight of the event for me. And a great event it was!