2020 Skate America: Ladies' FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Ladies' FS

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
boring music and sometimes questionable choreo makes your eyes and mind wander?

this is all commercial choreographers at work?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As much as I wanted Mariah to win as of yesterday, Bradie deserved it! No falls, better program, and much better skating. USFS was too generous this time.
I’m pretty sure Bradie had 2 urs. Her TES score dropped 7 points.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Use the same youtube link for Ladies FS livestream, and fast forward to around 1:55:29, at the start of Mariah's program.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Mariah’s free skate was underwhelming, but she deserves the win. Bradie looked like she was running out of stamina and just going through the motions. Something about her skate was very off today.
Shin and Karen Chen were the highlights and I would’ve had Shin in 2nd and Bradie in 3rd.

I hope to see improvements in both Bell and Bradie as the season progresses- if it does.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations especially to Audrey!

And I still love Amber.

Did they even have a draw for starting order?

As a safety measure, this season's GPs are not having any draws for SP/SD or FS/FD.

Eliminates the need for each discipline to bring its entire field of skaters together in one place.

I think they're skating in reverse standing position, from last to first, but I could be wrong.

Correct.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
How the effing hell does a skater with no 3-3, a fall and a program more empty then the desert score 136? :eek:
Maybe now people can finally zip it when it comes to the over scoring at the Russian Cup/nationals. Mariah's marks this week make all those look like ultra critical international judges marks. Disgraceful!

Poor Bradie, maybe she needs to start skating like an ice princess or put on shallow expressions to win over the federation because apparently that's all the USFSA likes :(

Last edited:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Bradie got hosed. I was expecting them to go for blood and rig the scores against her but I didn't think it would be this bad. Unbelievable. Russian Cup scoring has nothing on this blatant rig fest 🤬😡😠

Poor thing. I hope she continues to keep her spirit and keeps moving ahead with her programs.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone else think Mariah skates a lot like Sarah Meier of 🇨🇭?

slider11

Medalist
Actually, I like Bradie's FS and although not perfect today it shows lots of potential. The Abba FS is a little shallow and would make a good exhibition. Mariah was lucky to win; one stronger jump combo and Bradie would have been the winner. Audrey Shin was delightful and earned third. Amber Glenn and even Page Rydberg show promise. I'm on the fence with Karen Chen. At times she looks strong and elegant and then the URs and power wanes and she comes up short.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I meet plenty of Chinese international students introduced to me as "Barbara", "Henry", and the like. My personal belief is that we should all respect the names our cultures and parents give us, but switching names to fit the culture is done both ways.

(Another poster also noted that Shan is probably her name as well.)
My daughter-in-law is ethnically Chinese, was born in Viet Nam and grew up in France from age 7 to 21. She and her family all chose Western names, Of course they kept their Chinese names, the family knows them. They don't see having Western names as giving up their heritage or culture.

One exception: her baby brother doesn't remember living anywhere but Texas and the only accent he has is Texan. But he chooses to go by his Chinese name everywhere, with everyone.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Just caught up with the competition and well.. there have been better days than this one. For loops especially. What was up with everyone popping it into a single?

From what I remember:

Audrey Shin: I confess on not being familiar with her at all. I think I might have seen her do well at the YOG but am not too confident it was her. Anyway, she was great and, in my eyes, should have won the FS! When the music started and I saw her in that dress, I suddenly had an eery feeling, though, as if something very bad was about to happen soon. Then I remembered why: This is Pogo‘s music and even Pogo‘s dress and the skate I was thinking of was the 2017 Worlds FS. Thus, I was very tense throughout the whole performance but she proved my fears wrong. What a GP debut!

Bradie Tennell: The thing is with Bradie, I have loved almost all of her music choices since the post Olympic season. I usually love her choreography as well. So, the only logical conclusion would be for me to love her skating, too. But... I just don‘t. I have tried and tried but I just can‘t connect to her. She HAS improved artistically, I can acknowledge that but watching her, I feel nothing. Zero emotions, not even negative ones. I’m just bored. I don‘t know why, really. Maybe it‘s her stiff movements? I really can‘t get into her jumps or transitions at all because she literally never uses her knees. Her spins are brilliant, though.

Mariah Bell: I used to be a huge fan. I am not anymore and haven‘t been for... a while, let‘s say only this. However, I still enjoy her skating a lot. I usually love her presentation and commitment to the music. But this program is plain bad. Shae-Lynn choreographed this, right? I wonder what she was smoking... There‘s like a million music cuts in it and every piece lasts for about two seconds. Also, as much as I don‘t appreciate Bradie‘s skating, Mariah was considerably overscored here. Bradie actually got most of her URs called, whereas Mariah apparently had none, other than that totally obvious lutz downgrade? Yeah, no.

Karen was nice. I think the program‘s pretty generic but boy, do her jumps look beautiful. I don‘t even care that most are borderline UR, the height and flow she gets on them are just gorgeous. As are her spirals, of course. I was rooting for her for Bronze but alas, it wasn‘t meant to be. I can‘t be too disappointed, though, not when it meant discovering a talent as great as Audrey‘s.

Overall, I thought Bradie winning would have been the fair outcome. Mariah had a fall and URs and barely hung onto that 2A+3T, whereas Bradie landed two (albeit UR) 3Lz+3T combinations. And just because I personally don‘t appreciate Bradie doesn‘t mean she hasn‘t gotten better. She has. So; for an unbiased mind, she should actually get PCS on par with Mariah this time around. Mariah is a great performer who normally beats Bradie any day on PCS. But that program is just not it and it was rather empty, too.

So, from someon who actually wanted Mariah to win: Yes, if I manage to be a bit more objective, I think Bradie should have gotten the Gold.

Discovery of the night, though? I‘m meaner when I‘m tired....:bed::drama:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I haven't seen the ladies fp. I just started watching the archived stream. I don't know if this was discussed earlier, but Gracie seems to want to continue skating. And surely she's still talented, even though having to make adjustments because her body is different from when she was younger and learning how to skate.

Still, it seems to me that her poor showing is a matter of lack of necessary training preparation. If she has the motivation, then why doesn't she make sure she's properly prepared, or don't compete. Is it about needing money for training? And she competes in order to try and earn some money? But meanwhile, she doesn't have the best coach, training help and venue to really do what she needs to do?

I'm asking because it's so sad to see her going out there and just not having what she needs to do her best. This is not her best and if she's still motivated to skate, surely she can get back to a better level. But it takes the right training and fitness.