2020 Skate America: Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Free Dance

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's all good. Rather ironic that you mention Madison Chock since there is so much criticism of her out there (I love her too, by the way). Like I said, I think your opinions are meant sincerely, it just struck a nerve, when I've seen so much criticism of the amazingly talented women in skating. Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, in Madi's past pairings, I thought the man she skated with was better (Zurlein (sp?), but with Evan, she's gotten so much better!
From a female ice dancers point of view, I definitely know what it's like in some cases and understand what you were saying. But like I said upthread, I look at talent and who pulls me with their skills, not their gender. (y)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm only JUST getting a chance to watch now and have only watched H/B's FD, but here's the first gut reaction:

They're going to run into the same problems as W/P did during their self-consciously 'arty' years (Four Seasons, This Bitter Earth). It's all nice and it screams, Look at how Arty we are. Aren't you Moved?

Montreal still has yet to give them a program as good as their Detroit FDs.

I have to disagree with you on the highlighted section... acknowledging that reasonable people can differ. I didn't see any anguishy stomach clutching or soulful unfocused gazing while reaching longingly into the horizon. I did see a lot of deep edges.

I thought it was understated and interesting. The opening one-foot sequence sets the mood of the program beautifully. I'm not sure I recall a free program that opens with the one-foot sequence, not one with this impact, at any rate.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sigh. I am so, so tired of the bias of figure skating fans towards the males in any given partnership.
That's interesting because commentators, at least the ones I've heard always seem to look at the male partner in pairs or dance as an accessory, as in they're just the backdrop it's the lady that needs to be watched.

I distinctly recall a commentator remarking that he was watching the male skater more in a performance in a way that indicated that he thought that wasn't a good thing.

I agree though that both partners should be applauded, I think Kaitlin, Gabby and Alexandra Stepanova (who always gets criticised for having no knee bend, which is weird because she does) are brilliant skaters.

A dance or pairs team can only work with two athletes working together and building on their individual strengths together.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That's interesting because commentators, at least the ones I've heard always seem to look at the male partner in pairs or dance as an accessory, as in they're just the backdrop it's the lady that needs to be watched.

I distinctly recall a commentator remarking that he was watching the male skater more in a performance in a way that indicated that he thought that wasn't a good thing.

I agree though that both partners should be applauded, I think Kaitlin, Gabby and Alexandra Stepanova (who always gets criticised for having no knee bend, which is weird because she does) are brilliant skaters.

A dance or pairs team can only work with two athletes working together and building on their individual strengths together.
The man is the stem; the woman is the flower. That's the cliche and darn it, announcers must have contractual obligations to stick to it.

Now Tara, please stop commenting on ID. It's PAINFULLY obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

Oh, and rain, I will go back and rewatch H/B. The music doesn't help. With so much Philip Glass stuff to pick from, why choose a piece that doesn't have any drive to it? Then again, last season I was initially disappointed with Piper and Paul's Both Sides Now program and wound up absolutely loving it. I've always been a HUGE fan of H/B, but I'll still stand by my assertion that Detroit gave them better FDs.

auser

Record Breaker
The man is the stem; the woman is the flower. That's the cliche and darn it, announcers must have contractual obligations to stick to it.
Just heard this again the other day while watching the original Cutting Edge movie. :biggrin: