2020 Skate America: Men's FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Men's FS

musicfan98

On the Ice
Disappointed in the men and women's showing this weekend. I wasn't expecting so much nervousness and shaky skating. I figured they'd be better in an environment without a crowd but it's like the cardboard made things worse. lol

sworddance21

On the Ice
Honestly my feed has been perfect all day today. So I hate to say this it may be on your end
As for no commentator! yes thank you I don’t get Johnny and Tara. That alone is worth the price
My peacock feed is fine, too. And I don't miss Johnny and Tara at all! I DO wish I could REWIND. :(

musicfan98

On the Ice
Really Nathan knows that Hanyu is his only competition right now so he'll be judging that against what he needs to beat Yuzuru.

I actually thought he did really nicely here. My big issue with him has always been the sloppiness but he seems to be improving. The technical ability is mindblowing.
I really miss Hanyu, who is hands down the best male skater of all-time, in my opinion. Even when he messes up, he still impresses the heck out of me. Nathan skated like he was half asleep today.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I feel like this whole event was a mess
:-(

asked earlier, not sure if anyone responded but did Jimmy Ma really deserve that low score?

sworddance21

On the Ice
Good grief, another flapping shirt for Nathan Chen. I just find it distracting, much as a I like him.

Let me explain, I think it makes him look like he has a posture problem through his neck, shoulders, back and arms, which I don't think he actually has.
I agree with you. He has rounded shoulders that come from not opening through the back, in my opinion. I love him - and I think he has a style and look all his own which I appreciate - but he does have a little pit of a posture thing going on.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
what he needs to beat Yuzuru.
Does anyone except Yuzu actually know what Nathan needs to beat him? I mean, I adore Yuzu, but uhm... for all we know, he has been sitting on a beach with his feet propped up since March instead of spending all his days training.
Sorry, just kidding... well, half-kidding.

slider11

Medalist
Considering the pandemic and rinks are mostly closed or highly restricted, I think this competition is admirable. I think the athletes are putting out new or newly revived programs. 8 months is a long time for these elite athletes not to compete. The scoring seems a bit generous but for the most part consistent. I think SA is setting a reasonable bar for other federations to put together their competitions.

slider11

Medalist
I am a bit surprised that Vincent Zhou received similar artistic scores to Keegan Messing. I think Keegan feels and moves to the music so much better than Vincent. Vincent's got his jumps but I become bored watching him; his movements are so artificial. Maybe Keegan's attraction to more alternative/heavy metal music turns off the judges. He doesn't have to do Charlie Chaplin all the time but maybe Keegan can find something a little more adaptable to movement and story telling. Sorry, I like all music but his FS and skating are not a match. I can't even tell you what Vincent skated to but I have no desire to watch it again. I think he's lucky he got silver.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like this whole event was a mess
:-(

asked earlier, not sure if anyone responded but did Jimmy Ma really deserve that low score?
I don't know offhand what his score was, but I can confirm that his performance was not good. He's sort of in the same boat as Starr Andrews is in for the women... my opinion of course. One exciting and promising performance years ago, and nothing really worthy of notice since then. I remain hopeful, but the next great skate from either of them will be a nice surprise for me, because I no longer expect it.

For me, the exciting performance of the day was Malinin. He bagged some scalps today in Bychenko and Alex K, and also Pulkinen... these are not skaters you'd expect to lose to an athlete that young and inexperienced. Even in this watered-down field, a fifth place finish is something to celebrate. He certainly put himself on the map.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It’ll be interesting to see the official protocols since I’m not sure this much was under.
Official protocols gave 2 URs - the fallen 4Lz and the always UR 4S.

However, it should be noted that we effectively have a US Nationals panel here.