2020 Skate America: Pairs' SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Pairs' SP

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Quality hand sanitizer use however. Definitely worthy of a 10.

Loooong wait.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What was taken off for Ash & Tim to make their score that low?

Oh boy, for Tarah and Danny. If K/O and C-G/LD had been on and perfect, they might have been able to get closer to C/J or even Ash & Tim get ahead of C/J. No one was going to touch Alexa & Brandon aside from C/J if they'd landed their jumps. C/J are so good on everything else. They need to get their confidence together on their jumps! An understatement. It's not surprising how well Alexa & Brandon skated. They have great athleticism.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
That was rough enough I’m irrationally anxious for Dance now. Or maybe I’m just getting tired.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Which of C/J, L/M, or K/F jumps was visibly < and not called?
Well Johnny was talking about the men and ladies when he mentioned generous judging on downgrades and I agree with that.

The teams you mentioned didn't get any calls and rightfully so because they were clean but still all the pairs in general got the hometown nationals style boost in their scores except Ashley and Tim. The judges really took the knives out on them

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ashley and Tim are in 4th? I'm a little surprised. I didn't think they'd be in first, but I thought they'd be higher.

They took a bunch of points off Ash's & Tim's tech score which was 36+ I believe when they left the ice. So what was the 5 points deduction for? Just like at U.S. Nationals, they really dinged this team with a fine tooth comb. Yes, Ash & Tim have issues to work on, but at this point they are much more mature than Lu/Mitrofanov.

It looks like politically, a push is on for Lu/Mitrofanov and they are trying to dump Ash & Tim maybe because U.S. fed was so behind them last season and pulled out the stops for them at Skate America and they faltered.

The sport doesn't forgive faltering in big moments (e.g. Jeremy Abbott's miscues in the sp at the Olympics when he had slam dunked at Nationals and he had arguably one of the best short programs that's ever been choreographed. U.S. fed dumped on Jeremy the next season unfairly which ended up IMO hurting the U.S. men's division for years). Jeremy is so talented, he worked his way back into some favor, but the damage was done frankly. There's no way Jeremy shouldn't have made the Worlds team in 2011, but he didn't.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I’m puzzled and sad for Ash and Tim, but I’m happy for Alexa.
Just really would like to know how Chris is doing. He struggled with depression, hope he’s okay.
Indeed. Did he want to go into coaching after retirement? Or did he have some other plans? I swear I read something, but now I've forgotten.

But I hope he's going well!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay, I just found a video on Youtube and reviewed the jump at quarter speed.

Sorry folks. She lands very close to forward.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m puzzled and sad for Ash and Tim, but I’m happy for Alexa.
Just really would like to know how Chris is doing. He struggled with depression, hope he’s okay.
There have been some articles on fan zone indicating that Chris is very happy coaching. He's been working with Megan Wessenberg, who has switched to pairs and is searching for a partner. Brian Johnson joked in a recent article that Chris is 'living the life.' He must be so relieved and happy coaching and supporting Alexa and Brandon. Chris and Brandon go back, and were great friends coming up in Juniors in Colorado. Apparently, when Chris paired with Alexa, Brandon went along with them on their first date together. Cute. They are all three close friends, so it's all good. :)

I'm sad that Nate and his new partner Katie McBeath did not make the cut for this competition. I'd have preferred seeing them skate over the team that last place team Vernikov/Krasnopolski of Israel.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Well Johnny was talking about the men and ladies when he mentioned generous judging on downgrades and I agree with that.

The teams you mentioned didn't get any calls and rightfully so because they were clean but still all the pairs in general got the hometown nationals style boost in their scores except Ashley and Tim. The judges really took the knives out on them

I don’t think anyone else deserved to be literally downgraded who wasn’t in the men or ladies. Some < weren’t called and some got q when they deserved <. Maybe they should have been more generous with them and given < by that standard. But Johnny was acting all “omg that was completely clean!” When it wasn’t. You could see it was very short. On its face it was a <<.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Okay, I just found a video on Youtube and reviewed the jump at quarter speed.

Sorry folks. She lands very close to forward.
Like I said before if it were a regular international competition I wouldn't blink an eye on the call but this was basically Nationals 2.0 and everyone was judged generously score wise while Ashley and Tim seemed to have been singled out as an exception. Hell even if it were a regular Skate America with international competitors it still looks weird what happened. Normally the hometown team still gets the benefit of doubt and generosity. But its like the judges REALLY wanted to have a go at them for some reason.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just wanted to know what was taken off, not that I didn't expect they had problems. The double-foot was obvious. But they are definitely very nitpicky with Ash & Tim. If they were still being favored, U.S. fed wouldn't be examining them with a fine tooth comb. They definitely have issues on the catch on the 3-twist, and they don't look as sharp as they did at the start of last season. But they missed a huge opportunity to do well on the GP last season and it's quite obvious they have NOT been forgiven.

U.S. fed has two great California teams with huge talent in C/J and new pairing of K/F. And with the very technically sound Lu/Mitrofanov on the rise, now situated at the state-of-the-art rink in Boston, U.S. fed clearly no longer have any patience for either Ash/Tim or Tarah/Danny. Granted both teams made mistakes, but at a different time and without the huge talent at the top, Ash & Tim would NOT have been judged as harshly. And even Tarah/Danny would have had a score maybe somewhere slightly higher (maybe 60 to 62 or so).

ETA:
I take Johnny's reaction with a grain of salt. He's a good friend to both Ash & Tim. I understand being impartial, but who actually really is in figure skating? No one. It is what it is.