2022 Grand Prix de France Rhythm Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix de France Rhythm Dance

rain

Record Breaker
Well I thought the Italians had the competition not based on their actual skating but past results in the bag. It was and is theirs to lose. Kind of like Skate America - Chock and Bates could fall and win. Past results suggest the Italians had this and the Canadians or Danadians might struggle to make the Canadian team of two. ON actual skating FB/S deserved first but I just can't see the judges giving it to them over the Italians when they might not even be Canada's second team. You know LaLa is the future. I don't think the Italians can be too smug about winning this SD; it was hardly convincing in my opinion.
Well, I don't know that I'd use the term "smug" but I do agree with you that they have to be at least a bit worried being marked so close to the 2/3 place Canadian team and nowhere near what Gilles/Poirier got last week (a score I thought they fully deserved, by the way, for having the only home-run RD of the season, IMO).
I’ve never been G/F biggest fans. Apparently they are great technically but they do nothing for me as a team
I know it’s different competitions and home inflation but a 5 point difference between G/P and them not to mention FB/ S being close in marks can’t be encouraging.
I, too, have never been a fan of this team. They are at most workmanlike, in my view. Here, they have once again put together a program I remember absolutely nothing about 30 seconds after it is over. While I'm not a giant fan of Gloria Estefan, I did think overall FB/S's program was more successful.

I'm really trying, hard, to enjoy the rhythm dances this year (latin is usually something I'd like), but overall the only one I'm crazy about is Piper and Paul's with an honourable mention to Lajoie and Lagha, whose RD is growing on me.

Off topic a little, but perhaps my favourite latin on ice of all time was Torvill and Dean's stunning original dance (? I think that's what they were calling it by then) during their Olympic comeback. I remember thinking their dance made everyone else look like they were pulling stupid faces and trying too hard to be sexy without achieving the goal. Like watching grown-ups after a bunch of children. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMkgF6fVTsU

rain

Record Breaker
Just another general observation — the camerawork here and sound quality is atrocious. The fuzzy close-ups that nobody wants, the camera losing skaters within a performance — amateur hour.

And what's with the ubiquitous long sectioned pony tail for so many of the women? It's absolutely everywhere this season, across disciplines. Not that I don't like it, but seeing so many women sporting it, the trend really hits you in the face, lol.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, I don't know that I'd use the term "smug" but I do agree with you that they have to be at least a bit worried being marked so close to the 2/3 place Canadian team and nowhere near what Gilles/Poirier got last week (a score I thought they fully deserved, by the way, for having the only home-run RD of the season, IMO).
G/F's tech score took an unusual hit with those L3 twizzles, if they'd got their usual L4 they'd have been up nearly another point (+the potential extra GOE). I think they've got to be worried about scoring close to FB/S and F/G, especially as they have very little time before they face off against the latter next weekend. I'm hoping G/F can skate a fabulous and high scoring FD today.

I agree that G/P have a great RD and got a great score for it, but their scores last season dropped post-Skate Canada, they had an 85.65 there but the highest they scored for the rest of the season was 83.52. That may not happen this season but home GP scoring can be a bit inflated. It will be interesting to see what they get in Espoo in a few weeks.

auser

Record Breaker
I'm really trying, hard, to enjoy the rhythm dances this year (latin is usually something I'd like), but overall the only one I'm crazy about is Piper and Paul's with an honourable mention to Lajoie and Lagha, whose RD is growing on me.
I keep wondering if I feel less enthusiasm because I miss pattern dances for seniors and I may be a bit resistant to change. I loved Piper and Paul's RD...does not hurt that I have been singing along to Lady Bri music that they are dancing to for many months now(also used in a public tv promo for their programming featuring prominent women characters eg Sanditon, Miss Scarlet and the Duke, Call the Midwives, etc.)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ah I see the French are already bringing out the interesting costumes for us! They never disappoint ;)

In other news, I swear I've seen Molly's outfit before...Mark's mention of Piper and Paul make the feeling stronger, didn't Piper wear a costume like that?

Also, I saw the funniest Meme on Instagram summing up the costume policy of ice dance...unfortunately it was part of a story so I don't think I can link it. Just picture it...beach houses - one the standard beach house colours next to another which is...entirely painted black :laugh2: My first thought "That's about right".

OK, let's get dancing :clap:

Funkiness right outta the gate! Although I have to say I'm not sold on the lack of patterns in these SDs, I finally got around to recognising them and they take them out! Now how are we supposed to compare dance couples?

Also the stuffie display in the KnC are now in danger!

Team Georgia! I was wondering how they'd managed to get here, but Mark said they've changed their training location to Italy, so that might explain it. In unrelated news, Georgy is giving epic face and I'm here for it. You go, sir.

OMG, Latin Adele! And you know I'm gonna say it...my terrible taste compels me to say...I'm enjoying it :laugh: May the Lord have mercy on my soul.

Well that was fun! And I see no issues with Georgy's shirt ;)

Speaking of...look a fellow with some colour in his shirt! And OMG...this is already quality French...the lady is wearing one yellow glove :laugh: Although I'm not sure it was really used, like she's got the bird on the dress, so kinda looks like a big black birds swallowed the parrot! Still that was fun! Also the stuffies have been moved to safety, so I can relax now ;)

All these black costumes...I'm kinda wanting to see a Latin version Paint it Black ... As you all know I love fringe so I'm like Eva's dress. That was high energy and fun! Although I keep picturing La/La thinking "We we're doing this before it was cool" And very belated...was this Eva-Lotta's music from last season? (Where is Eva-Lotta, I feel like I haven't seen her in ages).

Loicia and Theo - Loicia looks suitably French, but Theo's kinda letting the side down - I appreciate the sparkling fishnet sleeves though. But this music OMG... There's a lot going on here! The "Bringing it to the judges" part was fierce! And wow the judges went for it! They're into the lead for now :)

What will Group 2 bring us?!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Marcooooo 🥰 How I've missed you and Charlene! Looking forward to this very much!

Nikolaj just put all the Frenchies to shame with that V! Fans self. And Laurence's dress is glorious.

Zhenya L and Geoffrey B (aka Mr Rina Ryabova to be) I like these two, looking forward to them!

(Oops my mother came over so I had to clean my apartment, so big long break here...)

I kinda can't remember the couple who went first...oh wait yes Katerina and Jeff, I liked her yellow dress! Shame about the rotational lift though :(

Zhenya L and Geoffrey B! Once again fabulous giving of face, and Zhenya's dress really fits with the theme :) And hey Guilliam C is one of their choreographers, nice. I'm not sure if it changed but I noticed at first Zhenya's twizzles were level 3 and Geoffrey's were Level 2, I'm not sure if that changed in the end though.

Team Fineland (hah nice typo me, I'll keep it in there ;) ) more fringe and OH no a fall! D: Topped off by truly atrocious camera work on that curve lift! Cameraman is doing them dirty here.

Aw man, I just remembered that it was Juulia's birthday yesterday, that's not a nice birthday present at ALL!

Nikolaj is 33, so we are free to go - yeeeeaaaah nice shirt you're almost wearing :laugh2:

Oooo that lift was 😘

Wow, so did the judges! They're almost 10 points ahead of Zhenya and Geoffrey! Nicely done!

And now...the pocket rocket that is Marco Fabbri and the fabulous Charlene!

Mmm saucy! I love these guys! And look Barbara F-P! There better be footage of the all important stop-watch!

Seriously, cameraman where'd you go to school? This is a mess! I'm trying to enjoy that step sequence. Ah well, I still loved it!

Ooo Mark tells us that there's a picture of Marco and Charlene on a tram in Italy, I'm intrigued I shall have to go to Insta and see it.

Into the lead! Once again I know who won...I think :scratch2: still looking forward to the FD though!

Now to skip ahead to see the next segment of the competition - one of the benefits of watching late I guess!