2023 Russian Junior Nationals - Day 1 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023 Russian Junior Nationals - Day 1

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I appreciate that Ulyana is not wearing a stereotypical red/black dress, and her dress looks really nice up close, I love the flowers.
But from far away, the beige is just a smidge too close to her actual skin tone, and it distracts me a bit from their skating (Phebe Bekker's FD dress has a similar issue, and I find myself doing a double take every time), maybe a different colour like a muted lighter pink would look better?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I see that Veronika Zhilina managed to bury herself again in the standings. Still, she's 8 points away from first place. If she lands all her jumps and Gorbacheva don't, she can close the gap.
I'm surprised by Titova bombing her SP. I think i didn't see her bomb her SP this season.
Lebedeva skated really well.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I see that Veronika Zhilina managed to bury herself again in the standings. Still, she's 8 points away from first place. If she lands all her jumps and Gorbacheva don't, she can close the gap.
I'm surprised by Titova bombing her SP. I think i didn't see her bomb her SP this season.
Tito had an issue on the combination (she put her foot down), and so she lost the whole combination which is absolutely brutal in terms of points, but if you didn't know much about the rules, you'd be surprised at why her score is so low because the skate really wasn't bad.

As for Nika, she's really not very buried at all, she's less than 2 points off the podium. Last season, she was in 4th after the Short with just about 3 points more and was off the podium by about the same amount. She buried herself there with the Free, but she has a bit of a pattern of doing badly in the Short and then pulling off a good or very good Free, and the other way around, so maybe this pattern will hold true tomorrow too.🤷‍♀️

Remilia

On the Ice
I see that, even with almost no competition, Nika still did badly enough to end up off the podium after the short :bang:. This comp should have been a guaranteed gold for her, but I think 1st place is almost certainly out of the question now...at least she should still medal unless she completely bombs the long.

katymay

Medalist
Neither needed a SP triple axel, and it is a stupid risk. (damn you Plushy) Leave it for the FS. They need to work with Veronika to emot and inhabit the music a bit better-she always has sort of a 'dead face'. I think part of this is nerves, but I also wonder about burn out-she has been a serious figure skater with a coaching mother since the age of 2. As talented as one might be (and she is), It would be impossible to admit, in her world, that she just doesn't enjoy skating anymore. I've known plenty of super talented kids in America who just quit. Done. They hate the stress of competing and training. But Nika really doesn't have that option, and it looks less and less like she enjoys it at all. (And I always think her particular skill set would have been of better used in artistic gymnastics).
I was so impressed with some of the boys today-will they transition past puberty into seniors? If so they might be the best crop of junior men in a long time.

Remilia

On the Ice
Neither needed a SP triple axel, and it is a stupid risk. (damn you Plushy) Leave it for the FS. They need to work with Veronika to emot and inhabit the music a bit better-she always has sort of a 'dead face'. I think part of this is nerves, but I also wonder about burn out-she has been a serious figure skater with a coaching mother since the age of 2. As talented as one might be (and she is), It would be impossible to admit, in her world, that she just doesn't enjoy skating anymore. I've known plenty of super talented kids in America who just quit. Done. They hate the stress of competing and training. But Nika really doesn't have that option, and it looks less and less like she enjoys it at all. (And I always think her particular skill set would have been of better used in artistic gymnastics).
I mean, to be fair, Nika has always had that dead expression when skating, even as a little kid. I think she just really struggles to emote facially, even off the ice. I think the most expressive I've seen her was with her Harley Quinn short last season, so perhaps they should try to give her more fun programs like that.

I can also kind of understand why they went for the 3A, since she landed it at her previous two comps. Titova has also had relative success with it this season. But it definitely wasn't a necessary risk for either of them...

Azikin

Medalist
I mean, to be fair, Nika has always had that dead expression when skating, even as a little kid. I think she just really struggles to emote facially, even off the ice. I think the most expressive I've seen her was with her Harley Quinn short last season, so perhaps they should try to give her more fun programs like that.
They shouldn't becasue she's probably the least suitable skater for fun programs.. ;)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
but he will watch Junior Worlds to cheer for Nikolaj Memola. They met in Austria. Kirill likes his skating.
D'awww Kirill, that's so cute.

Sorry to hear about his injury though! Glad he's healed now

That's interesting about his mother and the costume. It does stand out even with no bright colours on it!

I'm catching up on the girls now, but I read ahead (I always do that, do'h!) and see Sofia T and Nika Z didn't do as well as I hoped. Dang it. Oh well I'll live in hope for their FS's.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ha ha I'll be biased and sat despite the dreaded +COMBO I really enjoyed Sofia T! She's such a fire cracker!

And awww at her with the stuffie in the KnC.

But yikes that score. Oh well what can you do?

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just saw Nika and I was impressed! I wonder if she practiced that emergency layout because that 3Lz-3T was seamless.

Plus I like the program! The fact she's a white and black swan is cool.

Liza K looked in great form too, love her dress!

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Sasha can't get back. Not in shape at all. He looks like Rukhin this season. :(

I wonder why Mishin didn't take him or why he didn't want to stay with Mishin.

They changed his FS music right before the competition. He had different one. ChSq will be invalidated I think.