Changes on US team for Worlds | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Changes on US team for Worlds

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I think they'd rather do media stuff and take advantage of some other such opportunities? Not totally sure.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
It always makes me laugh when people are upset about Shin Amano.

If your skater is rotating their jumps, they wouldn't have a problem with him. So it's really quite simple. Rotate the jumps. Boom. Done, nothing to fear.

It makes me think of watching college hockey growing up. There was a referee everyone hated and complained about. After several years once everyone realized he wasn't as bad as the current referees the fans would cheer "We want Shegos!" whenever a referee would make a bad call.

So always remember critics of Shin Amano. It could be worse.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm torn with Mr. Shin Amano. On the one hand, he does his job. Thoroughly! On the other hand I fear for the likes of Mirai, Satoko and other ladies prone to getting UR calls.

ROTATE LADIES!! ROTATE!! :pray:

I think they'd [the Shibsutanis] rather do media stuff and take advantage of some other such opportunities? Not totally sure.

It does look like they are looking ahead and moving in that direction. I wonder if they will compete next season.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry guys! I am not on this board very much but... can someone please tell me what happened with the Shibs? Why aren't they competing at worlds? OMG...

They declined.

Honestly, it occurred to me that part of their motivation might be to give their US teammates the opportunity. They are classy that way. Note: this is only wild speculation on my part, and my opinion about what Maia and Alex are like. I hesitate to put it on this board, because of how some people respond to wild thoughts ... but there you go.

In an interview after nationals, where Madison/Evan, Maia/Alex, and Madison/Zach were being interviewed, Madison Hubbell emphasized that all three of these teams are good friends with each other, and that all three have now been national champions; and they're all happy for each other. Maia and Alex have world silver and bronze medals, and Olympic bronze. Madison and Evan have world silver and bronze medals as well, and they obviously are happy to take this opportunity for redemption after Olys. (Hope Maddie's foot is better!!:pray:) Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc are getting to go to their first worlds. Madison and Zach have their best chance yet to medal.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Ashley was also happy to give Mariah another chance at Worlds, although I believe and trust what Ashley said about taking time and space to heal. It also wouldn't surprise me if Jason was happy to give Ross (if Ross was 2d alternate) and/or Max another chance; although Jason also undoubtedly has other good reasons to W/D, he hasn't specified. And he doesn't need to.

The skaters have much more fellow feeling for their competitors. I wish fans who post here would follow their favorites' examples and not be so mean and ugly to the competitors of their favorites.

Barb

Record Breaker
Honestly, it occurred to me that part of their motivation might be to give their US teammates the opportunity. They are classy that way. Note: this is only wild speculation on my part, and my opinion about what Maia and Alex are like. I hesitate to put it on this board, because of how some people respond to wild thoughts ... but there you go.

In an interview after nationals, where Madison/Evan, Maia/Alex, and Madison/Zach were being interviewed, Madison Hubbell emphasized that all three of these teams are good friends with each other, and that all three have now been national champions; and they're all happy for each other. Maia and Alex have world silver and bronze medals, and Olympic bronze. Madison and Evan have world silver and bronze medals as well, and they obviously are happy to take this opportunity for redemption after Olys. (Hope Maddie's foot is better!!:pray:) Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc are getting to go to their first worlds. Madison and Zach have their best chance yet to medal.

oh yes, they are BFF, they are all so friendly to each other, that even Zach gave to Maia and Alex HIS bronze medal at Worlds 2017
Zach D. : “I wish the Shibutanis were [in Milan] because last year I gave them my medal,” Donohue said, “and I don’t plan on doing that this year.” :laugh: :whack:
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/...dance-preview/?utm_tags=oly1001&sf185155834=1

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent ZHOU is currently third after the Men's SP at Worlds with a score of 96.78. Does anyone still believe that Ross Miner could have done the same?

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Ashley was also happy to give Mariah another chance at Worlds, although I believe and trust what Ashley said about taking time and space to heal. It also wouldn't surprise me if Jason was happy to give Ross (if Ross was 2d alternate) and/or Max another chance; although Jason also undoubtedly has other good reasons to W/D, he hasn't specified. And he doesn't need to.

The skaters have much more fellow feeling for their competitors. I wish fans who post here would follow their favorites' examples and not be so mean and ugly to the competitors of their favorites.

this could be a new thread idea for after worlds to dispell any lingering bad feelings...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
this could be a new thread idea for after worlds to dispell any lingering bad feelings...

We have had bromance type threads in the past and they are usually well received. And you re right it is a good thread to have during the low season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Vincent ZHOU is currently third after the Men's SP at Worlds with a score of 96.78. Does anyone still believe that Ross Miner could have done the same?

Well, he would have according to certain posters (not naming names). Some (well, maybe just one) actually believed that Miner would have matched/bested Zhou's 2018 Olympic FS, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a stretch for them if Miner smashed his personal best by 11 points to score higher than Zhou in the 2018 Worlds SP. After all, Miner would have incorporated a clean 4S into his SP, gotten rid of his lip, and definitely would have cleared 97 points... maybe even 100 points with just one quad, as we saw Kolyada do! US Nationals 2018 FS jumping/scoring 4-evah!!!!!! :love:

But on a more serious note.... Congrats to Zhou. :)

Kudos to Chen and Zhou for representing the USA so strongly so far, both landing the hardest quads! :clap: They might even end up going 1-2 with their crazy technical content in the FS.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

Poor Ross should hand his Nats silver back :D Also he was left off the team for Adam.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Kudos to Chen and Zhou for representing the USA so strongly so far, both landing the hardest quads! :clap: They might even end up going 1-2 with their crazy technical content in the FS.

Max also represented strongly considering he was the third alternate and not expected to be called up.

Poor Ross should hand his Nats silver back :D Also he was left off the team for Adam.

If you believe that you don't understand the BOW argument. Adam was likely always going to go. Ross was left off for Vincent.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Max also represented strongly considering he was the third alternate and not expected to be called up.

If you believe that you don't understand the BOW argument. Adam was likely always going to go. Ross was left off for Vincent.

agree with all of this. It was always Nathan (obviously) and Adam had a very strong season and built that BOW. They decided to go with Vincent over Ross in the end.
ETA: And considering the kid placed 6th at the Olympics and just had his best-ever sp at worlds - it seems that they made the right choice.

Poor Ross should hand his Nats silver back :biggrin: Also he was left off the team for Adam.

Ross' problem was that he came along about 20 years too late. Back in the day, you finished 1,2 3 at Nationals, you went 1,2,3 to the Olympics.

Little by little, for better or worse, the rules started to change. The USFSA began to consider results at recent international competitions as well. By 2018, the rules were pretty much, we will do as we please. It pleased the USFSA to put Adam and Jason ahead of Ross because they did pretty well on the Grand Prix. They put Vincent ahead of Ross because they thought that he had a higher scoring potential.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

I understand it, I just think it's stupid. But that's been retread like a million times already.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia