Random Confessions | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
^^^CaroLizaFan, you have to be referring to "Por Una Cabeza" by Anna Pogorilaya, tho most people say it's "Scent of a Woman". I knew that Por Una Cabeza meant "by a head", but that made no sense to me, so I looked it up awhile ago and it refers to a horse winning a race by a head's length. At least that's my best guess. Who knows what meanings lurk behind some of these songs?! :laugh:

Congratulations!!! :bow: :clap: :points:

I thought I had made that devilishly difficult. But, you got EVERYTHING!

Come on, admit it. You found all the hidden clues in my message, didn't you! (There are 7 links hidden in there!)

Don't worry, I'm just teasing you!

I'm going to have to make it harder next time...

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Confession: I think I will always be a child. I did myself a flower crown from daisies today :dance2:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations!!! :bow: :clap: :points:

I thought I had made that devilishly difficult. But, you got EVERYTHING!

Come on, admit it. You found all the hidden clues in my message, didn't you! (There are 7 links hidden in there!)

Don't worry, I'm just teasing you!

I'm going to have to make it harder next time...

CaroLiza_fan

Well dang, I missed all your clues! (she says sheepishly!) :laugh2: Spanish is my second language, so it made me crazy to not quite "get" the Por Una Cabeza title. When I looked up the Carlos Gardel version and the words (a few months ago), it really cracked me up! Yes, good reason to not use lyrics. Somehow I'm done with the race tracks, I'm quitting all gambling takes away from the sensuality of it...But yes, Anna did an amazing job with it! She was so cute at her Worlds practice. It was really fiery, considering it was only practice. I really want to know what she will skate to this year.

ETA -- So glad you included the You Tubes. Of course I had to watch Al do his tango. He could spin on his head {{:dance2:}} and I would love it (even though it's not authentic Argentine tango)!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brooklee also had a superb Por Una Cabeza FS this year. And she's keeping it for next year :hap57:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Brooklee also had a superb Por Una Cabeza FS this year. And she's keeping it for next year :hap57:

Thanks for reminding us. Hadn't seen much of Brooklee this season, but agree that the FS was good at 4 Continents. Although, I have to be honest and say that I didn't like that particular recording of the music.

Hope it does her well in this coming Olympic season.

Well dang, I missed all your clues! (she says sheepishly!) :laugh2: Spanish is my second language, so it made me crazy to not quite "get" the Por Una Cabeza title. When I looked up the Carlos Gardel version and the words (a few months ago), it really cracked me up! Yes, good reason to not use lyrics. Somehow I'm done with the race tracks, I'm quitting all gambling takes away from the sensuality of it...But yes, Anna did an amazing job with it! She was so cute at her Worlds practice. It was really fiery, considering it was only practice. I really want to know what she will skate to this year.

Drat, I was just one position out.

Because of your username, I had a feeling that Spanish might have been your first language (either that or that you are a big fan of Speedy Gonzales). So, I wasn't surprised that you were the one that got everything right.

You know, it is really reassuring that somebody who can speak the language found the title of the song puzzling as well. I went through exactly the same process as you. And then I was kicking myself when I found out the story, because the equivalent phrase in English is so similar: "by a nose".

Definitely, having no lyrics makes the theme so much better. But, I reckon Anna could even make the horsey version sensual. She's just got that ability to make anything sensual. And there are not many girls her age that have mastered that.

I would say she could sell ice to the eskimos, except that it would melt if she came near it.

ETA -- So glad you included the You Tubes. Of course I had to watch Al do his tango. He could spin on his head {{:dance2:}} and I would love it (even though it's not authentic Argentine tango)!

Thanks. It was never actually my intention to put in so many links. It just sort of happened that way because of dilemmas over which version of something to include.

The lyrics and the Carlos Gardel version were always going in. But, it was when I came the Tango Project's version and Anna's SP from Euros that I couldn't decide which video to link to. So, in both cases, I went with both videos!

With the Tango Project, I wanted to put in the video of just them playing, so that there would be no distractions from the music. But I also wanted to put in the scene from the film, since it is so iconic. So, in the end, I decided to put in both.

And then the same with Anna's SP from Euros. I wanted to put in the footage with no commentary, so that we could concentate just on Anna's skating. But then I thought that some people might like to watch the video of the TV coverage to hear what Chris Howath and Nicky Slater had to say about it. So, in the end, I put both in.

For those that are counting, that is of course only 6 links. I think I'll let people find the remaining link themselves... :devil:

It is definitely worth hunting for! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know, it is really reassuring that somebody who can speak the language found the title of the song puzzling as well. I went through exactly the same process as you. And then I was kicking myself when I found out the story, because the equivalent phrase in English is so similar: "by a nose".

CaroLiza_fan

I kept pondering what the English equivalent of "por una cabeza" would be, and came to the same conclusion that we really don't say that. We would say "by a nose" or "nosed him out at the finish", "photo finish" for something super close, or some such thing. The tangos are a little difficult to figure out for me, mainly because the Argentinian Spanish is a little different. I know I was trying to figure out some things in Shoma's tango and kept saying "huh? :dumb:

Anything tango -- I'm in; same for pari mutuel betting!:scard7:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
confession: I love earthquakes. The bigger the better. It's like a natural roller coaster. We just had a 5.4 hit tonight, just a little jolt (and everyone is fine, no damage reported). Still so much fun. (the one in January 2016 was scary though, I'll admit that)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Confession: I've taken to bribing myself - Finish sorting this room/pile of stuff to sell/donate/keep, and actually LIST stuff/take the bags to Goodwill, and then you can get some chocolate. Or some other treat.

(My apartment currently looks like a disaster zone. It's easier to decide to get rid of things than I thought. What's difficult is deciding whether to donate it or try to sell it. I've taken to just putting aside either the big items or the things I know people in a college town will probably want, and donating the rest.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for the first time ever, I am making my own cheese....

yeah ... i confess... i am starting to exaggerate a bit on the gourmet road.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I kept pondering what the English equivalent of "por una cabeza" would be, and came to the same conclusion that we really don't say that. We would say "by a nose" or "nosed him out at the finish", "photo finish" for something super close, or some such thing. The tangos are a little difficult to figure out for me, mainly because the Argentinian Spanish is a little different. I know I was trying to figure out some things in Shoma's tango and kept saying "huh? :dumb:

Oh, don't talk to me about regional variations of the same language. I'm from Northern Ireland, so when I am talking to people from other places, I have to remember to think before I speak. Because our version of English can be very different to what is used elsewhere.

It's just like when people from America and people from England are talking to each other.

Anything tango -- I'm in; same for pari mutuel betting!:scard7:

Would you be in for this?

Guillermina Pagliero / Tyrone Laner

This is from last night's Britain's Got Talent Semi-Final. (Here is their performance from the auditions).

Warning: it might be better to watch this in the comfort of your own home.

CaroLiza_fan

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay

Gardel is Uruguayan ;) he was born in Tacuarembó

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gardel is Uruguayan ;) he was born in Tacuarembó

I was referring to Al Pacino's tango dancing. I'm not quite sure what you'd call it -- ballroom tango? American tango? Whatever it is, that has become such an iconic scene. :luv17:

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
I was referring to Al Pacino's tango dancing. I'm not quite sure what you'd call it -- ballroom tango? American tango? Whatever it is, that has become such an iconic scene. :luv17:

It is just Tango for us, we do not have another way to call it (at least here in Uruguay, Argentina is another case). I have watched that scene several times at the Tango Lessons in school some years ago

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, don't talk to me about regional variations of the same language. I'm from Northern Ireland, so when I am talking to people from other places, I have to remember to think before I speak. Because our version of English can be very different to what is used elsewhere.

It's just like when people from America and people from England are talking to each other.

Would you be in for this?

Guillermina Pagliero / Tyrone Laner

This is from last night's Britain's Got Talent Semi-Final. (Here is their performance from the auditions).

Warning: it might be better to watch this in the comfort of your own home.

CaroLiza_fan
I'm such a language geek and am just fascinated by all those differences!...I was working with some kids in Guatemala and they kept laughing at the vocabulary I used. My Spanish is more the Mexican version. :scratch3:

Um, maybe that Britain's Got Talent tango isn't quite my thing! That might make me a little nervous! :scard7:

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Confession: I've taken to bribing myself - Finish sorting this room/pile of stuff to sell/donate/keep, and actually LIST stuff/take the bags to Goodwill, and then you can get some chocolate. Or some other treat.

(My apartment currently looks like a disaster zone. It's easier to decide to get rid of things than I thought. What's difficult is deciding whether to donate it or try to sell it. I've taken to just putting aside either the big items or the things I know people in a college town will probably want, and donating the rest.)

Don't envy you the task! I'm helping a friend move and we work and work with packing and feel like we've barely put a dent in things. She had hoped to have a garage sale, but in the end she has decided to donate a lot of the stuff to a church rummage sale. I told her just to keep an inventory and use the donation as a tax deduction...Good luck. Hang in there!

madforskating

On the Ice
1. The only skaters who've made me cry are Stolbova and Klimov.
2. I'm not a fan of the top ice dance teams.
3. I'm obsessed with the Hunger Games because I'm in love with Peeta Mellark - Katniss, get in line.
4. I write long embarrassing fanfics.
5. I've never skated a day in my life.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Make sure you get a receipt for anything donated for tax write off...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I desperately need to go on holiday but sadly won't be able to anytime in the near future. :(