South Korean National Championships, 05–07 January 2018 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

South Korean National Championships, 05–07 January 2018

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Thank you Hailey Shin. Great work! P.S.: Is it still popular to watch ladies figure skating in S.Korea? How can be compared to the "Yuna mania period"?

There are core fandom of figureskating now.
The difference is, when Yuna's period, almost every people in Korea knew Yuna Kim, and who watch figureskating loved her only, and knew about only few foreign skaters like Mao which against Yuna.
For now, still not that many people deeply fall into figure skating though, figure skating slowly but steady became one of the popular sports in Korea, since there are so many Yuna-kids like Young, Eunsoo, or Yelim. And many people know their names. But now they cheer up for different athletes who they want, not only one skater like Yuna's period.
Also there began quite big market for figure skating. KSU is now selling a ticket for Nationals, (before then, it was all free entrance) even ranking competitions. Still more than a thousand people are surely paying for that to see who will go to olympics. Also main broadcast stations have interest to broadcast the big domestic figure skating competitions like Nationals. And a lot of journalists and photographers are coming to see who will win, and right after the competition, there are a lot of articles related to the event are being released at the front page of the main portal domains.

I think the market of figure skating has been really expanded since Yuna.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Do they announce World team too? Both senior and junior worlds? Im curious who will they send for men in junior worlds... Also is it possible Soyoun get worlds if she's getting better? But she must compete in senior B to see that...

Edit: also 4CC team, but i guess its the same with oly team

tars

Record Breaker
Congrats to all medalists, Olympians and whole South Korean figure skating family! :clap:

Andrea82

Medalist

4CC entries are

23 Junhwan CHA KOR 10
24 June Hyoung LEE KOR 10
25 Sihyeong LEE KOR 10

15 Dabin CHOI KOR 8
16 Hanul KIM KOR 8
17 Soyoun PARK KOR 8

11 Kyueun KIM / Alex Kang Chan KAM KOR 6

11 Yura MIN / Alexander GAMELIN KOR 5

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
There are core fandom of figureskating now.
The difference is, when Yuna's period, almost every people in Korea knew Yuna Kim, and who watch figureskating loved her only, and knew about only few foreign skaters like Mao which against Yuna.
For now, still not that many people deeply fall into figure skating though, figure skating slowly but steady became one of the popular sports in Korea, since there are so many Yuna-kids like Young, Eunsoo, or Yelim. And many people know their names. But now they cheer up for different athletes who they want, not only one skater like Yuna's period.
Also there began quite big market for figure skating. KSU is now selling a ticket for Nationals, (before then, it was all free entrance) even ranking competitions. Still more than a thousand people are surely paying for that to see who will go to olympics. Also main broadcast stations have interest to broadcast the big domestic figure skating competitions like Nationals. And a lot of journalists and photographers are coming to see who will win, and right after the competition, there are a lot of articles related to the event are being released at the front page of the main portal domains.

I think the market of figure skating has been really expanded since Yuna.

Alot is down due to Yuna I think... I hope Yuna kids kick butt at Pyeong Chang and have the time of their lives!!! To have Olympics at home is an incredible experience, hopefully can flourish and nourish the sport for at least the next 4 years You Young for Beijing2222!!!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes. Dabin and Young share the same coaching team.

Oh they do? You Young's ISU bio only lists Ghisland Briand, who coaches at The Cricket Club in Toronto. Dabin's bio has Eunhee Lee as the coach, although it lists Ghisland as a former coach. Is that wrong?

seabm7

Final Flight
Oh they do? You Young's ISU bio only lists Ghisland Briand, who coaches at The Cricket Club in Toronto. Dabin's bio has Eunhee Lee as the coach, although it lists Ghisland as a former coach. Is that wrong?

In case of YOU Young, we are not sure if her arrangement with Ms. Eunhee LEE is temporary or permanent.

On the other hand, Dabin gave up the idea of training overseas when her mother became very sick. She stayed in North America from time to time before this happened.

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Do they announce World team too? Both senior and junior worlds? Im curious who will they send for men in junior worlds... Also is it possible Soyoun get worlds if she's getting better? But she must compete in senior B to see that...

It's not confirmed, but maybe it will be like this, with KSU's own rules :p?

Worlds team
Dabin Choi
Hanul Kim
S1. Soyoun Park
S2. Yujin Choi

Jinseo Kim
S1. June hyoung Lee

Jr.Worlds team
Young You
Eunsoo Lim
S1. Yelim Kim
S2. Jihun To

Jun hwan Cha
Sihyeong Lee
S1. Young hyun Cha
S2. Geon hyoung An

This is not official, but I've made it according to KSU's own rules, so if they decide to make decision by following their rules, then it would be like this.

seabm7

Final Flight

No, it's not the same. The 4CC teams is decided solely on the results of the Ranking Competition from December 2017.

Men:
June Hyoung LEE
Junhwan CHA
Sihyeong LEE

Ladies:
Dabin CHOI
Hanul KIM
Soyoun PARK

Pair:
Kim/Kam

Ice Dance:
Min/Gamelin

However, Junhwan just announced he is skipping 4CC:

http://news.kbs.co.kr/news/view.do?ncd=3591784

I'm not sure yet who will replace CHA. There are only two other male skaters who have the senior TES minimum, Jinseo KIM and Geunhyeong AHN, but Jinseo KIM has a back problem and may not want to attend the competition.

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Is Jun Hwan being sent to worlds? There doesn’t seem to be any information regarding this

I don't know yet, and he doesn't have SP TES minimum for Worlds for now and doesn't have any plans to go to other competitions to get the TES also. He said he will focus on Olympics from now on. Maybe he will be sent to Jr. worlds after the olympics, if he wants to.

Kara

Final Flight
Going through the videos now and Junhwan's hair keeps bugging me!!! Cut it!! YY also seemed better in the 2nd ranking competition though got scored higher here which makes me go hm and her 3T on the lutz combo wasn't called underrotated when it was pretty obvious. Otherwise, she's improved so much and I'm really looking forward to how she'll be scored internationally if she goes clean in both programs. Eunsoo seems unnecessarily held down in domestic competitions too. The low GOE on her lutz combo is just mind boggling to me unless they are really going after her for her lack of transitions.:frown: I hope both slay at Junior worlds and grab those 3 spots for next year!! Praying for consistency from Eunsoo lol.:pray:

Glad Dabin went back to her previous FS and I LOVE the costume. So elegant and beautiful.:love: My Eunsoo is also always beautiful and really hope she fixes the issues with the axis of her jumps and gets energy. You're going to Europe!

I will also riot if we do not get the peanut butter jelly time EX for the Olympics.:p

russianfan

Match Penalty
Well, as i said after watching JGP stages, Young You is obviously better than any other korean girl overall, so no surprise she won this title. Congrats Young You!
She seems consistent(except that UR on 3T), pretty well packaged and even tries to interpret music sometimes, while Dabin for example just skates with a poker face. Eunsoo problems remain the same - big problems with jumps(i believe its due to her body type - she is very tall with long limbs, and thats always hard for skaters with that body type to jump consistently) and she visibly lacks stamina. What i also noticed is that she sometimes suddenly smiles in her FS after skating for a bit of time with poker face(don't remember if it was the same in JGP), like if she suddenly remembers that she needs to interpret... it's because she is too focused on elements

seabm7

Final Flight
Eunsoo problems remain the same - big problems with jumps(i believe its due to her body type - she is very tall with long limbs, and thats always hard for skaters with that body type to jump consistently) and she visibly lacks stamina. What i also noticed is that she sometimes suddenly smiles in her FS after skating for a bit of time with poker face(don't remember if it was the same in JGP), like if she suddenly remembers that she needs to interpret... it's because she is too focused on elements

Eunsoo Lim is recovering from a broken toe (the big one) in her right foot. I heard this kind of injury can takes months to heal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcPDKOdA2je/

She was diagnosed with the injury last November. As you noticed, she lacks the stamina. This is natural since she could not train properly for last several months.

ETD: By the way, speaking of heights: According to the ISU bio, Yelim Kim is 1.62 m, Eunsoo Lim is 1.60 m, and Young You is 1.56 m. It's true that she has long limbs, but she is not the tallest among these girls. The podium photo from the above insta is from last December, looks like it confirms the ISU bio numbers.