Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

charlotte14

Medalist
Oh! I certainly hope not, that truly would be really sad.
I'm hoping pure interest would dissuade them from anything like that. They do want good results in Beijing so hopefully they won't resort to that.
Chinese fed want medals, why would they not send Boyang to TCC? I am sure they are willing to pay big. Given they have seen how TCC has worked out for Javi and Hanyu.
If there is anything, it is on Boyang's side, not theirs. Why do so many people think it's all on the Chinese fed? Why no one ever think about what if Boyang wants something else? It is his career, yes the fed pays for him, but he has the rights to decide which directions he want. If he finally decides he will go to TCC and move on, good for him, if he wants to stay in China, people should respect his choice.

charlotte14

Medalist
Is anyone worried that the Chinese Fed could use Boyang to make a “statement”, as they supposedly did with Cup of FinlandNotChina?

That would be so sad :sad21:
Chinese fed wants Boyang to go to TCC the most. They have 19 gold medals to aim for.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Chinese fed want medals, why would they not send Boyang to TCC? I am sure they are willing to pay big. Given they have seen how TCC has worked out for Javi and Hanyu.
If there is anything, it is on Boyang's side, not theirs. Why do so many people think it's all on the Chinese fed? Why no one ever think about what if Boyang wants something else? It is his career, yes the fed pays for him, but he has the rights to decide which directions he want. If he finally decides he will go to TCC and move on, good for him, if he wants to stay in China, people should respect his choice.

It is not as simple as that. Boyang or any of Team China dont get to choose his coach or choreographer. China's government is paying for Boyang's training. If its other sports and China athletes pull a stunt like that, they're out, even if he/she is an Olympic Gold medalist. Its just for FS men's single there's only Boyang
Remember, when China's 2nd and 3rd pairs were swaped, the skaters themselves didnt like it but had to follow orders.

Its not just China, it happens for other countries too for the sports that's fully funded.

TGee

Record Breaker
It is not as simple as that. Boyang or any of Team China dont get to choose his coach or choreographer. China's government is paying for Boyang's training. ...

Its not just China, it happens for other countries too for the sports that's fully funded.

I sincerely think that folks may be making too much of this...

Why look for a 'statement'?

Having a national star spend some visible time at home may be a matter of dignity before he heads to another country to train...

And China may have wanted the dust to settle after the ISU meetings, including the GP assignments, before having Boyang on site at TCC...

But that doesn't add up to 'a statement'...especially when the fed has to be looking to do whatever it takes to have him on the podium in 2022. I doubt the Chinese federation is focused on anything but the 4 year plan for the podium.

And with that longer view, being fully funded doesn't necessarily mean that time with family and home community isn't a consideration.... He's been training in Beijing and is planned to go overseas, so it may be seen as important to give Boyang some time to affirm relationships in his region.

No one raises questions when Yuzu spends a good part of the summer in Japan...

Lastly, the point about taking the time to get the visa lined up is a valid one. He's going to need a long term visa...

As someone from Harbin, he would need to go through the consular services at the Canadian Embassy in Beijing. I don't know what the current situation is, vs the Canadian consulate-generals serving other parts of China, but my recollection is that it can be a long wait to get a visa in Beijing.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think people are just sincerely concerned because Brian had said that he was supposed to arrive in June and that didn't happen. Of course plans change and things come up, for all the reasons you outlined, TGee.

And I think people are just eager to see Boyang at TCC. As a fan, I'm eager to see him in his new environment and for news about him since we haven't heard much since that IFS story last month.

On a more cheerful note, one thing for sure: this whole episode has done wonders for Jason Brown's outlook already. Only a couple on months ago he was moping around feeling devastated about not making the Olympic team, even to the point of declining to compete at the World Championship when offered the chance. Evgenia shows up in need of a friend and Jason is back to his familiar ebullient self. :yes:

icybear

Medalist
The statement would be, "We lost face because the ISU disciplined some Chinese judges, so we are not going to host Cup of China and we are not going to send Jin to his training site in Canada, so there!"

(I'm not saying that the Chinese Federation has any such ideas, but people do get their noses out of joint and do foolish things believing that they are "saving face" by being recalcitrant.)

Lmao. If you are trying to think up of conspiracy theories at least use a bit of logic with it. Does Boyang belong to ISU so by delaying his training the Fed is fighting against the ISU? How would delaying Boyang training be "saving face" against the ISU?

Lmao. If you are trying to think up of conspiracy theories at least use a bit of logic with it. Does Boyang belong to ISU so by delaying his training the Fed is fighting against the ISU? How would delaying Boyang training be "saving face" against the ISU?

Of course there is no logic to it. There is never any logic to "face."

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
On a more cheerful note, one thing for sure: this whole episode has done wonders for Jason Brown's outlook already. Only a couple on months ago he was moping around feeling devastated about not making the Olympic team, even to the point of declining to compete at the World Championship when offered the chance. Evgenia shows up in need of a friend and Jason is back to his familiar ebullient self. :yes:

No joke. The amount of gushing he does about her during her IG live is adorable. And their friendship is a joy to skating fans, judging by what I'm reading on social media.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Feeling a bit misunderstood here (on a internet forum, perish the thought:laugh:) so a bit of an explanation:

My understanding from Chinese speaking posters (on other boards mostly, but also here) was that word on the street in China was that the Chinese Fed canceled Cup of China, not for the official reason, but because they were upset that some Chinese judges had been disciplined. I do not speak or read Chinese and I have no idea if that's true, but that was the claim. Given that claim, I has a sad, because I thought of its possible, potential, maybe in another world applicability to Boyang.

But is that my idea pulled out of nowhere? I'm not that creative. :dance: As Mr. Spock says to Captain Kirk, "I do not *create* the mythologies, Captain, I merely *report* them":biggrin:

My sincere hope and expectation is that Boyang is spending time with his family, will show up in Toronto ready for his role on "Zhenya and Friends", and take everybody to a Chinese restaurant on IG Live:agree:

TGee

Record Breaker
My sincere hope and expectation is that Boyang is spending time with his family, will show up in Toronto ready for his role on "Zhenya and Friends", and take everybody to a Chinese restaurant on IG Live:agree:

And in Toronto, Boyang will be able to find Northern Chinese food and other regional specialities to share...

Editing to add: anyone with suggestions, please add them to the " advice to skaters moving to Toronto" thread in the cafe.

All the yummy things listed there are making me long for a trip to the GTA.

charlotte14

Medalist
It is not as simple as that. Boyang or any of Team China dont get to choose his coach or choreographer. China's government is paying for Boyang's training. If its other sports and China athletes pull a stunt like that, they're out, even if he/she is an Olympic Gold medalist. Its just for FS men's single there's only Boyang
Remember, when China's 2nd and 3rd pairs were swaped, the skaters themselves didnt like it but had to follow orders.

You totally don’t get it. I repeat my words: Chinese fed really really really want to send Boyang to TCC. And they did. They made a deal with TCC. Brian Orser would never speak out about accepting Boyang permanently if he was not sure of the deal. The part on Chinese fed was done. The part on TCC was done as well.

The rest is up to Boyang himself. Does he really want it? I support his decision no matter what. After all, it is his career.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Honestly, all I wanted to know was whether there was any news regarding when Boyang would arrive. Jason and Zhenya are obviously having a ton of fun training together and hanging out, and I was just wondering when Boyang would be joining them. If he’s still in Harbin spending time with his family, that’s fine. If his move was delayed for another reason, that’s fine, too. I don’t think there’s any need to politicize the question.

moriel

Record Breaker

I suppose they have some olympic frustrations in common, and also the desire to fight to beat that stuff.

As a side note, I am eagerly waiting for people to start shipping her with Jason, because so far its Hanyu and some random russian dude, and considering their friendship and how much fun they have together, Jason would make much more sense.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I suppose they have some olympic frustrations in common, and also the desire to fight to beat that stuff.

As a side note, I am eagerly waiting for people to start shipping her with Jason, because so far its Hanyu and some random russian dude, and considering their friendship and how much fun they have together, Jason would make much more sense.

As long as people don't ship them on these forums. :laugh:

Those two provide plenty to talk about without going into shipping/OTP and all that jazz. What I've seen on social media is more that people are really enjoying their friendship. I think all the Zhenya fans are just thrilled with having double the content about her via Jason. Jason's IG follower numbers will probably get a boost, if they haven't already.

Funny thing is that Jason didn't really do IG stories much until relatively recently, so the timing is pretty good.

I do agree that both have unfinished business they're trying to resolve and it's good that they have each other to go on that journey.

Last edited:

glassanimal

On the Ice

ugh, it'll happen, unfortunately. They've also shipped her with Wakaba and Alina, so Jason will definitely get his time. :palmf: :rofl:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I swear, EVERYONE goes to TCC for the summer. It might be a shorter thread if we listed who didn't visit the hallowed halls. :laugh:

I do love seeing the photos. :thumbsup:

Last edited: