Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
All Eyes on Yuzu for media day! (The brewery should make some commemorative beers!) :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I feel like Zhenya's gotten more active since coming to Toronto. It's been fun to see her personality come out. The funny thing about Jason is that he came on to social media relatively late compared to his peers, but turned out to be the most active among them.

I know I increase my social media activity when I’m away from home. I love to show my friends the tops of mountains and local culture any chance I get. Plus it’s just a nice way to feel connected to some degree with those that we are missing. I’m sure she gets some comfort in sharing her experiences. She’s always been pretty active though...I’ll never forget her jumping in on that Courtney Hicks conversation on flutzing :laugh:

As for Yuzu merch...those socks people were posting in his fan thread are a must have!

Haleth

On the Ice
Evgenia teasing Conrad on Instagram about his relationship with the boards at Minto [emoji23]

Crack thought: Media day broadcast consists of Yuzu announcing Jason’s programs and his and Evgenia’s Challenger assignment. Camera then pans to Jason who waves and holds up a placard, “Yuzu’s new programs are...” *goes to raise new placard*
*end broadcast*

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, thank you, that makes sense.

Jason and Evgenia haven’t posted much about training lately, and we don’t know what Challenger event they’re doing, or what Jason’s FS is. So I’m interested in those things.

@Mrs P, thanks for putting up the link to the Minto FS. I actually watched the whole thing! Some of the kids really struggled with the short turn around, but there were lots of good things to watch, too. The content put out by the TCC juniors - especially Stephen - is pretty amazing, and what they’re doing is really admirable - all have good SS and nice spins. Who was with Brian and Joseph Phan - was that Ghislain?

Okay, here are three random thoughts:

-Brian looked really tired.
-I really enjoyed Shingo Nishiyama! It was too bad about the jumps, because his presentation is already so mature - and he has that Shoma kneebend on landings!
-Most random: Conrad Orzel looks a bit like Han Yan, facially. :)

Yeah it was. He and Brian were both there, was well as two TCC coaches for the dances teams (I only recognized the guy however). I believe I saw Lee Barkell too, but I'm not 100% sure. I know Ghislain was there because I was standing right next to him at one point. He was with Shingo and an Asian woman who may have been his mother a lot of the time.

Haleth

On the Ice
Yeah it was. He and Brian were both there, was well as two TCC coaches for the dances teams (I only recognized the guy however). I believe I saw Lee Barkell too, but I'm not 100% sure. I know Ghislain was there because I was standing right next to him at one point. He was with Shingo and an Asian woman who may have been his mother a lot of the time.

Lee appears along with Brian after Stephen’s SP. And likely elsewhere too though I am catching up on broadcasts so perhaps someone else can mention that.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
And with her visit to the Niagara Falls Zhenya has officially see more of Toronto than Yuzu 😂😂😂😂

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lee appears along with Brian after Stephen’s SP. And likely elsewhere too though I am catching up on broadcasts so perhaps someone else can mention that.

Lee was with Conrad as well... while Brian was with Joseph

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
I don't know if anyone has already asked, but what's the coaching situation with Joseph right now? Is he staying at TCC permanently?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't know if anyone has already asked, but what's the coaching situation with Joseph right now? Is he staying at TCC permanently?
He’s been at the TCC for summer activities, but he’s still based in Quebec. He has another year of school.

The way things have been going, though, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s contemplating a move to the TCC next year, once school is finished.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Honest question : were jason and zhenya posting that much before? Or are you guys, because there is a thread that was evolving quickly at the beginning, and it was normal since everything was new for them, just having unreasonable expectations about "news" I mean... there is not much to say when you are at work.. and that's what they are doing.. they are training... Was Jason sharing so much when he was with Kori? Maybe it's just me but I feel that this thread will normally wind down simply because the breaking news have happened and soon enough, it will be about competitions and fanfesting... anyways... don't mind me.. i m just not thinking it's abnormal not to hear about skaters...
and regarding Conrad, yes... he is very good looking and both he and Han Yan have nice cheekbones :)

I can’t speak so much about Zhenya, but as others have said, Jason is generally very active on social media. In the past, in addition to his social media postings, he always did at least one summer competition - often an early one like Broadmoor Open - so by the end of June we often knew what his programs were / had seen them, and soon after, we knew which Sr Bs he was doing. That said, he has sometimes waited longer than some of his fans would like to post about certain subjects (eg, declining Worlds) even while continuing to post other stuff.

In any case, my interest in training and “behind the scenes” stuff isn’t limited to Jason. I think I’ve mentioned that I spent several years as a young artist with a major opera company; I used to love watching music and staging rehearsals when I had the chance, because it gave me the opportunity to watch some amazing artists at work.

By the way, I think it was Lee Barkell with Corey, though I’m not 100% sure about that.

Reth

On the Ice
And with her visit to the Niagara Falls Zhenya has officially see more of Toronto than Yuzu 😂😂😂😂
I really hoped that Jason and Zhenya could have roped Yuzu into doing some site seeing beside just his route from home to the club or his trips to the local grocery store. Who am I kidding? 🙄 If Javi can’t convince him, who really can 😂

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He’s been at the TCC for summer activities, but he’s still based in Quebec. He has another year of school.

The way things have been going, though, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s contemplating a move to the TCC next year, once school is finished.

actually, despite what I thought and his age etc.. he seems to have graduated already... but TCC was supposed to be for the summer...

we will see in the fall i guess... he could be doing like Celestino did before him and go to CEGEP doing sports-etudes... which means he would have a much freer schedule and also obviously remain in Quebec...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I can’t speak so much about Zhenya, but as others have said, Jason is generally very active on social media. In the past, in addition to his social media postings, he always did at least one summer competition - often an early one like Broadmoor Open - so by the end of June we often knew what his programs were / had seen them, and soon after, we knew which Sr Bs he was doing. That said, he has sometimes waited longer than some of his fans would like to post about certain subjects (eg, declining Worlds) even while continuing to post other stuff.

In any case, my interest in training and “behind the scenes” stuff isn’t limited to Jason. I think I’ve mentioned that I spent several years as a young artist with a major opera company; I used to love watching music and staging rehearsals when I had the chance, because it gave me the opportunity to watch some amazing artists at work.

By the way, I think it was Lee Barkell with Corey, though I’m not 100% sure about that.

well you know, if you guys are now so interested in TCC younger skaters, for instance Conrad, Stephen, Corey etc... there was always information given about them in the Canadian skating thread.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
well you know, if you guys are now so interested in TCC younger skaters, for instance Conrad, Stephen, Corey etc... there was always information given about them in the Canadian skating thread.

And, I have been lurking in the Canadian skating thread. :). Just haven’t posted yet.

TGee

Record Breaker
And, I have been lurking in the Canadian skating thread. :). Just haven’t posted yet.
Looking forward to your joining in...

While Minto is the official start of the season in Canada, we've got 4 more weekends in a row of livestreamed national summer series events (Quebec, GTSA, Wild Rose/Alberta, BC).

TCC skaters will be strongly represented at the GTSA event....and as that is also a stop for novices in the North American Series. So, we may hear about some of those as well.

TGee

Record Breaker
actually, despite what I thought and his age etc.. he seems to have graduated already... but TCC was supposed to be for the summer...

we will see in the fall i guess... he could be doing like Celestino did before him and go to CEGEP doing sports-etudes... which means he would have a much freer schedule and also obviously remain in Quebec...
It looks like Joesph is keeping his options open in terms of training in and representing Ontario vs Quebec.

The Skate Ontario list of entries for the Ontario sectional series was updated on July 25th and Joesph' name is still on it.

http://skateontario.org/sectionals-series-athletes-registered-as-of-july-25-2018/

So, by competing at Minto and the GTAS series events, he's also covered off the qualifications for Ontario sectionals.