2018 Team Japan 4CC Olympics JWC World | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Team Japan 4CC Olympics JWC World

sakurano

Final Flight
I'm heartbroken for Wakaba as she really won me over at the Cup of China but it's heartwarming to see Kaori have one of those "competitions of their life" performances and get rewarded for it! Thrilled for Satoko too and the men were expected, really so no complaints there (sad for Mura though!).

I will say though that the JSF is screwing themselves over by not sending Wakaba to 4CCs or sticking with Kaori for Worlds--she's gonna end up in such a low starting group in Milan because she won't have any ranking points from those two prior competitions which could affect their chance of getting 3 spots. The Japanese women have had so many competitions this season where starting early really hurt their chances to move up... I figured the JSF would learn from it. I really hope one withdraws from 4CCs to give her a chance.

which makes me question about their arguments they give directives but do not follow them.

on the one hand I'm glad she's going to the world because that means they think she's capable of succeeding yet they're not going to stop me from thinking it's a poisonous gift they're giving her. I am going to believe that they do not like it and that their decision was clear from the beginning.

despite my bad times I'm happy for Kaori and Satoko

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
What would you do in that case, then?

I would keep Kaori on the World team.
It's simply better for Japan. They're stuck in this problem of 2 spots, and if they're saying that Kaori needs 4CC for warm up for the Olympics, then keep Kaori for all three, like they're keeping Satoko. Yes, on the surface it may suck for Wakaba because she doesn't get anything, but for Japan, it's better to have the highest chances possible for those 3 spots.

The only other option would have been to have Wakaba at 4CC to at least give her some ranking points/competition in-between now and Worlds, but since they are not doing that, it's irrelevant.
I want Wakaba to skate but I want those 3 spots more because next season will just be a this season times three otherwise. And I certainly don't want more - Wakaba the horrible terrible skater - that will be repeated ad nauseum if Worlds doesn't work out in this really difficult situation. This is the harder job than the Olympics. And she got that one.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So Wakaba gets the real tough assignment. Well ok. Curious they suddenly feel like she is good enough for that particular responsibility.

Yeah she got the hardest job. She have to get back the three spots. Seems like they don't fear that she bombs at that competitition.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
The assignments of the skaters, as far as I remember, were decided with consideration of their own wish. So they can apply to go to 4CC and Worlds and Olympics all at the same time, and they can get assigned to all of them if they fit (like Satoko and Shoma). However, it is also up to them if they decided to withdraw (which is very possible). The JSF will not assign skaters to competitions where they did not apply to (like Yuzuru to 4CC).

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
And then it would have been a bad choice for Kaori, there's no difference. The point is they're sending a skater who has nothing between these Nationals and Worlds, into a massive pressure cooker situation, where the stress will be through the roof. That, after Olympics and 4CC, which will cause Wakaba in this case to probably drop in ranking, instead of allowing Kaori to carry on the momentum from 4CC and Olympics onward into Worlds.

So they must suddenly have some insane belief in her to overcome all that when arguably, there's more riding on Worlds in terms of future than when it comes to the Olympics.

This, 100%. People really seem to forget that WC is actually more important and a higher pressure situation because it's about getting those 3 spots back. With neither Japanese girl being medal hopefuls, Olympics won't have pressure like that.
So sending a girl with no further chance for competition experience and to get further ranking points to worlds... It's not a consolation prize, it's nonsense.
What they should have done? Not send Satoko + Kaori to 4CC? Why would Satoko need more competitions? She doesn't. They should have sent Waka in her place and Kaori to worlds. Or at least waited how Waka/Kaori do at 4CC to see who to send to worlds.

Leonardo

Final Flight
I would keep Kaori on the World team.
It's simply better for Japan. They're stuck in this problem of 2 spots, and if they're saying that Kaori needs 4CC for warm up for the Olympics, then keep Kaori for all three, like they're keeping Satoko. Yes, on the surface it may suck for Wakaba because she doesn't get anything, but for Japan, it's better to have the highest chances possible for those 3 spots.

But what about what Wakaba wants and deserves given the situation that Sakamoto is going to the olympics? Do you think Wakaba would prefer not to compete anymore this season and miss the world championships? I'm pretty sure she would be even more devastated and she probably wants to go out there and shine.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Would any of the mods kindly update the OP on all the selected skaters for Team Japan's 4CC, Olympics, Worlds in one post including each alternatives for the events and the links of the national results together? It is hard to catch up with all things listed on numerous posts. Thanks to the posters and info though. I'm not ungrateful, but just suggesting this for the sake of better accessibility. Therefore, the OP with all the info would be very helpful for people like me and possibly belated readers. Thanks in advance.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Scarce resource (Olympics spots) and lots of demand (ridiculously talented skaters). Hard choices had to be made. Hopefully those who made it have the performances of their lives and those that did not use it to fuel them to greater heights.

The Japanese ladies have given me life all season and I cannot wait to see them finish it off in style.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
But what about what Wakaba wants and deserves? Do you think Wakaba would prefer not to compete anymore this season and miss the world championships? I'm pretty sure she would be even more devastated and she probably wants to go out there and shine.

Ha. As far as I am concerned, Wakaba deserves to go to the Olympics (in general) because of how good she is. But JSF made their bed this season and now they bloody well should lie in it. They wanted Satoko, well they have Satoko and as a consequence we have this mess of the 2nd skater. I didn't see JSF thinking about Wakaba this season, not once. So now they suddenly remember her? Right.

So no, she doesn't deserve to be put into a situation where she gets to pay JSFs bills. They can pay their own.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Scarce resource (Olympics spots) and lots of demand (ridiculously talented skaters). Hard choices had to be made. Hopefully those who made it have the performances of their lives and those that did not use it to fuel them to greater heights.

The Japanese ladies have given me life all season and I cannot wait to see them finish it off in style.

Totally. I'm so happy that we are going to see Mai and Wakaba once again. I'm pretty sure they both still want to compete at important competitions this season given the hard decision. Mai could be a 4cc champion again, or at least get a medal (she didn't get a single medal at the grand prix or nats). Wakaba could get a medal at worlds. That would be awesome.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Ha. As far as I am concerned, Wakaba deserves to go to the Olympics (in general) because of how good she is. But JSF made their bed this season and now they bloody well should lie in it. They wanted Satoko, well they have Satoko and as a consequence we have this mess of the 2nd skater. I didn't see JSF thinking about Wakaba this season, not once. So now they suddenly remember her? Right.

So no, she doesn't deserve to be put into a situation where she gets to pay JSFs bills. They can pay their own.

:rofl:I'm glad the skaters are more reasonable than the fans :biggrin:

Alifyre

On the Ice
I'm in agreement with the general sentiment here that putting Wakaba at worlds with no competitions in between is a SUPER high pressure situation that I don't think is fair to her. I would have her in 4CC and see between there and the olympic performances who is most likely to win 3 spots back for Japan at worlds. Hopefully she does a lot of senior Bs in the meantime to work out the remaining kinks in her programs and gain some WS points and confidence.

Leonardo

Final Flight

That's right. It's all Satoko's and JSF's fault. (irony).
But given the current situation, what do you think that Wakaba would prefer as an athlete? Compete at the world championships or not to compete at all?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Anyone has the jw list?

No one posting JW team? okay, one last try

men:
Mitsuki, Sena, (Alt 1 Tsuboi)

ladies:
Rika, Mako, Yuhana, (Alt 1 Nana)

pair:
Riku Miura / Shoya Ichihashi

(no ice dance team this season)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'm in agreement with the general sentiment here that putting Wakaba at worlds with no competitions in between is a SUPER high pressure situation that I don't think is fair to her. I would have her in 4CC and see between there and the olympic performances who is most likely to win 3 spots back for Japan at worlds. Hopefully she does a lot of senior Bs in the meantime to work out the remaining kinks in her programs and gain some WS points and confidence.

This.
And yes, let's hope she will do some Senior Bs until WC. For her sake and that of all the Japanese ladies next season :pray:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Hopefully she does a lot of senior Bs in the meantime to work out the remaining kinks in her programs and gain some WS points and confidence.

Not that easy. Take a look at the calendar events. She could maybe get one competition in.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
It is weird that they are sending Satoko and Shoma at 4cc, Satoko has just been back on track after injury and shoma is competing non stop 7-8 competitions for 2 seasons already... It might end with burning out them.