2018 Team Japan 4CC Olympics JWC World | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 Team Japan 4CC Olympics JWC World

Alifyre

On the Ice
Not that easy. Take a look at the calendar events. She could maybe get one competition in.

One is better than none. Shoma did a metric ton of competitions last Winter/Spring, and looking at the calendar there are a few small competitions going on between now and worlds that she could do if she's willing to travel a bit. I dunno, I'm just worried about her, all I want is for her to do well!!

tzazu

Medalist
That's right. It's all Satoko's and JSF's fault. (irony).
But given the current situation, what do you think that Wakaba would prefer as an athlete? Compete at the world championships or not to compete at all?

:thumbsup: If Wakaba doesn't want to compete in Worlds because she think it's too much pressure or any of the many reasons given here, she could have turn off the offer. If she didn't do that and wants to go to Worlds, congrats to her :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think Satoko may withdraw the 4CC assignment as she already won the title and may want to focus on her preparation for the Team and Individual event at Pyeongchang. Moreover, I saw from her fanfest that there was something unclear, but bothering her condition before the Nationals. So she may opt to skip the 4CC not to risk her health before the Olympics. Then, Wakaba could be allowed to compete at 4CC as the first alternative. It is just my assumption though.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think Satoko may withdraw the 4CC assignment as she already won the title and may want to focus on her preparation for the Team and Individual event at Pyeongchang. Moreover, I saw from her fanfest that there was something unclear, but bothering her condition before the Nationals. So she may opt to skip the 4CC not to risk her health before the Olympics. Then, Wakaba could be allowed to compete at 4CC as the first alternative. It is just my assumption though.

Me thinks so too.

pearly

Record Breaker
I think JSF made a good decision on its selections for Worlds and 4CC.

Since it is Olympic season I suspect we may see movement of the skaters who actually
attends 4CC. It may be a completely different team than what was announced today.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

tzazu

Medalist

If she thinks that's the better, perfect. And great for Wakaba:biggrin:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
That's right. It's all Satoko's and JSF's fault. (irony).
But given the current situation, what do you think that Wakaba would prefer as an athlete? Compete at the world championships or not to compete at all?

Yes, it is all JSF's fault. I am not at all ironic. It's their fault for not properly handling the situation since last season for their young skaters.

I don't know what she would prefer or what she actually thinks about this entire season. You're welcome to think she's happy, happy, happy with the way she's been treated.

I know that as far as I am concerned, the overall best outcome for this season (and this means the overall best outcome for Wakaba too) is for Japan to have 3 spots next season and that maximizing those chances is essential. Not what makes Wakaba happy now. It's too late. What matters is 3 spots next season. And not having a convenient person to blame if that doesn't happen.

If she delivers at Worlds against all odds? Great. But no skater should be put into this type of stress situations, where odds are stacked against them, if there is a better option. JSF should have learned last season, it's a pity they didn't. Gee, I cannot seem to remember who most often got the blame for those two spots they have now .. hmm ... :rolleye:

Barb

Record Breaker
it is so weird to see some Wakaba fans upset because she got Worlds, I guess her fans don´t have enough confidence in her, but don´t worry guys, the pressure will be not only on her, Satoko will be there to get those 3 spots.

skater7866

Rinkside
ah she got world the only good news is that she can have a revenge.

I do not understand JFS

I totally agree with that... but at the same time... Why is it Wakaba’s responsability again? Why isn’t it Kaori’s turn to go and regain those 3 spots now that she’s suddenly better enough than Wakaba to go to the Olympics? I don’t understand why Waka has to go to WC. She’s been delivering internationally since September, she has been putting scores that prove that she can challenge the bests in the world, but because she crumbled (only in the FP) at the GPF, now it’s over? To remember she’s the only girl from japan who got to the final fair and square, not being an alternate. Why is it Wakaba’s job to go regain the 3rd spot for her country at worlds when her own federation doesn’t even believe in her that she could do well at these Olympics? Send Kaori to Milan instead and tell her she has to regain the 3 spots, then we’ll see if she has real nerves of steel or not. That said, Kaori still deserves it, she must have worked hard for this, but I think Wakaba still deserves it just a tiny little more for some reason. IMO, the best idea would have been to send Waka to Pyeongchang and Kaori to Milan, who has never experienced the senior world stage before.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
it is so weird to see some Wakaba fans upset because she got Worlds, I guess her fans don´t have enough confidence in her, but don´t worry guys, the pressure will be not only on her, Satoko will be there to get those 3 spots.

Because one skater alone can get those spots back, sure.

And being a Waka fan means I have to blindly think she'd handle any situation no matter what? That's nonsense too.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I like the decision :)

I think the realistic chances of either Wakaba or Kaori scoring an Olympic medal is extremely low at this point. But Wakaba is the stronger one and given the Worlds field is almost certain to be weaker than Olympics, there's a decent chance Wakaba can get it done (if not medal, at least help secure the three spots). It will be a glorious redemption. Another thing is, do we think all three 4CC entries will go in the end? If any one of them withdraws, Wakaba gets to go, right?

I've also talked myself into accepting the fact there will be no lady to root for at the Olympics (other than tuning in to see if my prediction of Zagitova for the gold comes true)... It's probably better for my mental health!

Barb

Record Breaker

And being a Waka fan means I have to blindly think she'd handle any situation no matter what? That's nonsense too.

okay, you are right, she is not reliable at all, we should to go to change.org to do the petition, I will be the first one to sign it, they should send to Kaori or Mai.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

Yes, Satoko who can on her own get those spots, like she has on her own gotten the 3 spots before. Sure.

And yes, I can be a Wakaba fan and still feel that it's too much pressure on her. I choose to be realistic, and being put into this situation is not even remotely easy. It's easy to talk about "redemption" and just "have confidence" while ignoring the reality of it all. She has to handle being rejected for the Olympics, her own part of the blame for it, the lack of trust JSF has shown all season in her, the lack of support they've shown in her, she has to deal with maybe one minor competition between now and beginning of March and then walking out on that ice while carrying all that on her shoulders to get enough to earn those spots back.

Yes even if some supreme ruler of figure skating were there with her, who was 3 time OGM, 12 times Worlds gold, etc, it would still be hers to carry all that as her result counts.

I would think it's a tough assignment for Kaori too, if it were her. Or anyone else. That makes me a bad Wakaba fan? So be it.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist

Why do we want to shield and protect Wakaba from stress? I say keep throwing her into high-stress, high-stakes, no guts no glory situations until she develops those steely nerves she needs.. She is 16 and it is good to fail and build character and mental strength from failures. We know that she is fierce and extremely hungry to prove herself. I am sure that she doesn't mind being put on the Worlds team and that she is setting sight on 2022.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Why do we want to shield and protect Wakaba from stress? I say keep throwing her into high-stress, high-stakes, no guts no glory situations until she develops those steely nerves she needs.. She is 16 and it is good to fail and build character and mental strength from failures. We know that she is fierce and extremely hungry to prove herself. I am sure that she doesn't mind being put on the Worlds team and that she is setting sight on 2022.

Generally? Yes. In this one specific situation with the need to get the third spot for home world championships back, without further chance at competition experience to get some more ranking points or confidence? While she was often blamed anyway for being the one to lose 3 spots in the first place? imo no.

And to make that clear, I'm not mainly arguing against this decision as a Waka fan. There is other stuff I care about. And here, the most important aspect for team selections is the 3rd spot for WC19. Believe me, especially since I'll be going to Milan, I was hoping and praying Waka would qualify. She's the main reason I brought tickets for the ladies event. And were things different, with Japan having 3 spots for Olympics & Worlds and a decision like this being made between skater #3 and #4, I'd love it too. But as it is, there is a different priority, and for that this is simply not a smart decision.

da96103

Record Breaker
JSF is pretty generous, spreading Christmas cheer all around.

Mai gets to defend her 4CC title.

Wakaba can redeem herself and get back the three spots. If she needs more competition she can go to Shoma's Coupe de Printemps at Luxembourg.

Happy with this.

da96103

Record Breaker

Most likely to happen. JSF just give the assignments. It's up to skaters to accept. No one would blame Satoko if she wants to do an Ashley.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Wakaba can redeem herself and get back the three spots. If she needs more competition she can go to Shoma's Coupe de Printemps at Luxembourg.

Coupe de Printemps is from March 16th to March 18th and Worlds in Milan begins on March 19th.

Liasky

Rinkside
Are there a link with all of the assignments or can anyone conclude it please. Thank you very much.