2018 Team Japan 4CC Olympics JWC World | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 Team Japan 4CC Olympics JWC World

randomfan

Record Breaker
Honestly I’m pretty satisfied with the assignment. I was hoping that Wakaba could at least get Worlds, which she did, and that’s good news.

As for 4CC, just like many others said, I think Satoko will probably withdraw. If she needs a warm-up competition, I think the Olympic team event is good enough.

Nika09

On the Ice
Congrats Satoko and Kaori! And poor Mai. She didn't get World's neither :( But well I won't be surprised if it will end up without third spot again.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Congrats everyone! I think Kaori is the right choice for the olympics, she can handle the pressure.

But no yuzuru for 4CC? I thought they would pick him to give him a pre Olympic competition, even if he withdrew afterwards.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Congrats everyone! I think Kaori is the right choice for the olympics, she can handle the pressure.

But no yuzuru for 4CC? I thought they would pick him to give him a pre Olympic competition, even if he withdrew afterwards.

I think such is Hanyu's wish or he had to. I believe if Yuzuru wanted or he felt he is ready enough for 4cc JSF would give him 4cc spot without any doubt. Hopefully he will do at least team event to get the feeling of the competition before individual one

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
I posted this in the Japan sd/fd thread; but I realize this is a more appropriate location. I'm overjoyed for those that made the team, but devastated for those who didn't.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Not that easy. Take a look at the calendar events. She could maybe get one competition in.

I happen to know a really nice small no-pressure competition which just happens to be *at the exact same time* as the Olympics. Surely that would be perfect for Wakaba, time-wise. :pray:
(I know, sweet dreams, never gonna happen, although Japanese skaters have been known to visit the Challenge Cup in the Hague).

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Kaori Sakamoto was picked for the Olympics and Four Continents. Wakaba Higuchi will represent the country at the Worlds. I think the figure skating federation doesn't want discourage Higuchi too much or Higuchi is a better choice to regain women's three slots with Satoko Miyahara.

Team Japan for #Olympics in PyeongChang
MEN: Yuzuru Hanyu, Keiji Tanaka, Shoma Uno
LADIES: Satoko Miyahara, Kaori Sakamoto
PAIRS: Miu Suzaki/Ryuichi Kihara
DANCE: Kana Muramoto/Chris Reed

Team Japan for #WorldFigure
MEN: Yuzuru Hanyu, Keiji Tanaka, Shoma Uno
LADIES: Wakaba Higuchi, Satoko Miyahara
PAIRS: Miu Suzaki/Ryuichi Kihara
DANCE: Kana Muramoto/Chris Reed

Team Japan for #4ContsFigure
MEN: Takahito Mura, Keiji Tanaka, Shoma Uno
LADIES: Mai Mihara Satoko Miyahara, Kaori Sakamoto
PAIRS: Miura/Ichihashi, Suzaki/Kihara, Takahashi/Shibata
DANCE: Fukase/Tateno, Komatsubara/Koleto, Muramoto/Reed

Eclair

Medalist
I just saw this thread, so I'll double post what I've written in the state of Japanese ladies thread here as this is more on topic:

I think the senior assignments make sense, even though my heart breaks for Wakaba ...

Kaori is sent to 4cc to gain some ranking points and higher international recognition, even though 4cc is very close to the Olympics. It's going to be hard, especially as I expect her to be skating the SP or FS in the team event.
Wakaba doesn't get 4cc because she is currently injured and who knows, maybe she needs some time to rest?

Wakaba therefore gets Worlds where she has a real chance of medaling as post-Olympics all the skaters on her level or above are usually less in shape and motivated. This way she can heal the injury properly, then earn JPN the 3 spots back together with Satoko, and build up momentum for next season.

It's really sad that JPN only has two Olympic spots. With the upcoming junior, at least one out of Wakaba, Marin, Mai and Rika won't be able to participate at the 2022 Olympics either ...

it really was a hard decision. It really could have gone both ways, I understand the reasoning for both skaters to go. I do applaud JFS approach of deciding based on how the skater skated and placed, instead of hypothetical potential a skater could have. I believe in the long term, this way of selection is motivating more young skaters to go into this sport. I hope Wakaba will learn out of this experience, put it behind her and skate with abandon and courage in the future.

sakurano

Final Flight
I totally agree with that... but at the same time... Why is it Wakaba’s responsability again? Why isn’t it Kaori’s turn to go and regain those 3 spots now that she’s suddenly better enough than Wakaba to go to the Olympics? I don’t understand why Waka has to go to WC. She’s been delivering internationally since September, she has been putting scores that prove that she can challenge the bests in the world, but because she crumbled (only in the FP) at the GPF, now it’s over? To remember she’s the only girl from japan who got to the final fair and square, not being an alternate. Why is it Wakaba’s job to go regain the 3rd spot for her country at worlds when her own federation doesn’t even believe in her that she could do well at these Olympics? Send Kaori to Milan instead and tell her she has to regain the 3 spots, then we’ll see if she has real nerves of steel or not. That said, Kaori still deserves it, she must have worked hard for this, but I think Wakaba still deserves it just a tiny little more for some reason. IMO, the best idea would have been to send Waka to Pyeongchang and Kaori to Milan, who has never experienced the senior world stage before.

I do not know but everyone thinks it is to reward wakaba for its beautiful season and also because they were hesitating so they decided in favor of Kaori because she got on the podium is 7 points more.

we will see . to be honest I had predicted that when Kaori was first in the SP and that well before the announcement the media already had their favorites as well as the JFS.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I am fine with the decision... in fact, I have never appreciated the "body of work" clause. Good results early in a season are not necessarily indicative of good results later on... in fact, even three months is like an eternity. I have always felt that Nationals placements (in all nations) should decide Olympic/World teams. Here's why:

At Olympics/Worlds, the pressure is major: it's now or never. I feel Nationals should provide that same type of pressure, as preparation for Olympics/Worlds. The ones that rise to the occasion earn their spots, specifically because they demonstrate the required physical strength and mental toughness.

(Of course, my feeling this way will not change anything... sigh. :sad4:)

rosacotton

Final Flight
It's really sad that JPN only has two Olympic spots. With the upcoming junior, at least one out of Wakaba, Marin, Mai and Rika won't be able to participate at the 2022 Olympics either ...

Wait, won't the ladies have a chance to earn three Olympic spots at 2021 Worlds? :confused:

TunaKeem

Rinkside
New fan here so sorry if this is a stupid question.

If it were the case that Satoko, Kaori and Mai attend 4CC and either Kaori and Satoko do not perform well and Mai finally skates clean. Is it a possibility for the JSF to re-assign Mai to the Olympics or is this set in stone?