2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Russian Fed has never made a wise decision when it comes to the men they choose to invest in. Ever.

I would be mad but I don't feel like wasting my energy any more. Life is too short and they aren't going to change.

I always assumed they invested in Plushy (although there was that weird business after Vancouver when they threw him under the bus...then got him out from under it like a year later...) and before him Yags, Kulik and Urmanov...although this does seem to suggest the Russian Figure Skating Fed can't multi-task and therefore focuses on only one man at a time, whereas with the ladies they back way more than one.

Who's in charge of the Russian Figure Skating Fed? Do they know what they're doing?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The russians did okay in Japan despite the lack of medals.

Ignatov suffered from the back-to-back events, with such a long trip from Moscow to Sapporo, dealing with jet lag, it was probably his first time skating in such conditions. It was still a very good GP debut for him, he can build a lot from here and should absolutely fight for 2 GP spots for next season at Nationals.

Qualified for GPF
Q1 Yuzuru Hanyu 30
Q2 Nathan Chen 30
Q3 Alexander Samarin 28
Q4 Dmitri Aliev 24

Q5 Kevin Aymoz 24
Q6 Boyang Jin 20
S1 Nam Nguyen 20
S2 Jason Brown 20
S3 Keiji Tanaka 18

Russia is the only country with two skaters in the final in the Men's event.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Samarin and Aliev on making the GPF!!! Good luck to them! Now that the grand prix and Russian cups are over, here are the preliminary lists for nationals! Final composition is decided by coaching council.

Senior Nationals Qualifiers

GP (7)
Lazukin
Ignatov
Shulepov
Aliev
Samarin
Voronov
Savosin

JGPF (3)
Mozalev
Gumennik
Samsonov (NM, AI)

Cup events (8)
Danielian (NM)
Samoilov (NM)
Murashov
Sviridenko (NM)
Zuber (E=Y; W=SP only)
Yablokov (NM)
Petrov
Lutfullin

Alt
1. Katichev (NM)
2. Rud (NM)
3. Murzin (NM)

Possibly added by coaching council
Kolyada

NM=no SR minimums for E/W
AI=age ineligible for Senior international competitions (15 on/after July 1st, 2004)

Junior National Qualifiers

JGP (9)
Rukhin
Kutovoi
Lutfullin
Vetlugin
Samsonov
Mozalev
Danielian
Gumennik
Yablokov

Cup events (9)
Kunitsa (NM)
Semenenko (NM)
Kovalev
Dikidzhi (NM)
Sarnovsky (NM, AI)
Knyazev (NM, AI)
E. Petrov (NM)
Golubev
Polianskii

Alt
1. Solovyov (NM)
2. Bass (NM)
3. Kondratiuk

NM=no minimums for JW
AI=age ineligible for JW (13 on/after July 1st, 2006)

Minimums achieved post: https://goldenskate.com/forum/showt...-minimum-TES&p=2423601&viewfull=1#post2423601

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Nationals are going to be very interesting this season, there could be some shake ups.

I watched most of the cup of russia events and was very impressed by Zuber and Samoilov improvements, and they have competitive programs with quads; several from the juniors also have stable quads now.

This is going to be a big test for someone like Lazukin or Savosin who haven't skated particularly well so far, or for Kolyada (assuming he'll be there) considering he skipped all the GP season and never showed up at previous events.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
This is going to be a big test for someone like Lazukin or Savosin who haven't skated particularly well so far, or for Kolyada (assuming he'll be there) considering he skipped all the GP season and never showed up at previous events.

I was wondering if one of the names you mentioned might be subbed in for Dmitri at Golden Spin. It would be good competition practice before a national championship.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Congrats to Samarin and Aliev on making the GPF!!! Good luck to them! Now that the grand prix and Russian cups are over, here are the preliminary lists for nationals! Final composition is decided by coaching council.

Senior Nationals Qualifiers

GP (7)
Lazukin
Ignatov
Shulepov
Aliev
Samarin
Voronov
Savosin

JGPF (3)
Mozalev
Gumennik
Samsonov (NM, AI)

Cup events (8)
Danielian (NM)
Samoilov (NM)
Murashov
Sviridenko (NM)
Zuber (E=Y; W=SP only)
Yablokov (NM)
Petrov
Lutfullin

Alt
1. Katiev (NM)
2. Rud (NM)
3. Murzin (NM)

Possibly added by coaching council
Kolyada

NM=no SR minimums for E/W
AI=age ineligible for Senior international competitions (15 on/after July 1st, 2004)

Junior National Qualifiers

JGP (9)
Rukhin
Kutovoi
Lutfullin
Vetlugin
Samsonov
Mozalev
Danielian
Gumennik
Yablokov

Cup events (9)
Kunitsa (NM)
Semenenko (NM)
Kovalev
Dikidzhi (NM)
Sarnovsky (NM, AI)
Knyazev (NM, AI)
E. Petrov (NM)
Golubev
Polianskii

Alt
1. Solovyov (NM)
2. Bass (NM)
3. Kondratiuk

NM=no minimums for JW
AI=age ineligible for JW (13 on/after July 1st, 2006)

Minimums achieved post: https://goldenskate.com/forum/showt...-minimum-TES&p=2423601&viewfull=1#post2423601

Thank you for the list ... well maybe in years the men's event will be interesting ... except for Dima, Samarin and Voronov ... I think the others spots are those for the taken ...

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Rusfed doesn't blow a spot and sends someone

Believe it or not, for some skaters, it's pay at your own expense and the skaters on the sub list may not have money to pay their way there. I just posted an interview with Leonova and she said this

If the St. Petersburg federation has money, maybe they will give (me) some challenger...…….But so far they say there is no money. Unfortunately, I can't go at my own expense.
https://m.fontanka.ru/2019/11/25/055//

And this has been suspected since last season.........

champagnerain

Final Flight
What exactly did yagudin say about Jason? I don’t speak Russian so I don’t know.

My Russian is elementary at best, but this is the Twitter thread I originally saw about it. I don't actually use Twitter (it's amazing that I even happened to see that thread), so I don't know if there are any additional things that he's said/done that were not mentioned here.

The petition mentions that he's made disparaging comments about Kolyada and Vasiljevs, too, but I haven't seen any translations/mentions of those in specifics.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Lock up your 3As everyone!

Dmitriev Jr is practicing his 4A again!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ptC1LIizp - No idea if he's even close, but hey at least he's landing on his feet!

You've gotta admire how fearless he is.
Doing everything that hasn't been done before is freaking scary, and he's just going for it, and actually improving little by little. Brave man, Dmitry, very very brave.