2018 GTSA Summer Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 GTSA Summer Skate

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Boy, I have to lower the volume to a minimum each time Gabby's SP start. That screechy sound is beyond my tolerance. I love Carmen, but pop singers with their tiny voices are pathetic. Sad she kept the same SP. Jumps were not good, except for 2A.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The senior ladies was a complete mess, including the leader.
I mean, not much moreso than usual. There's only a couple of really good ladies' singles skaters in Canada, and only one of them is here.

EDIT: Wow, in the warmup, Keegan just fell on a quad then immediately got up and did another jump, almost in the same motion.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I'm going to need a constant reality check telling me in my ear "it wasn't a quad axel" every time i watch Keegan all season. G-D but that is a charming man. What a great skate from him! Great first outing, and a great program.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Keegan bringing the Michael Buble and the standard Canadian man skater outfit -- oh yeah, he wants that national title.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Good program from Nam. He looked like he was enjoying it, and had good confidence throughout, even with a couple scratchy spots. I'll look forward to this one throughout the season.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nam! Looking really nice, particularly this early in the year. Error on the combination at the end, but the quad and 3A both looked good.

The program is nice, and he sells it quite well, though I admit this song choice is always going to call to mind the Shibutanis, and it's no disservice to Nam to say that he's not going to banish them from one's thoughts.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
OMG, Keegan was amazing! He saved the day! What a stellar program. Outstanding jumps, spins over 97 points.

Nam was very good but he seemed he forgot he needed to do a combination. He can do Lz T in his sleep, only now he was awake, LOL. Great 4T and 3A.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Amelia Orzel got < for the second 3T and 3F. No wonder since Amano was there...For me Amelia was better than the first two in group 2. And she was better than all senior ladies.
How did it happen that a program wit 3T2T + a fall on 2A is ahead of a program with 3-3 and all jumps landed.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Amelia Orzel got < for the second 3T and 3F. No wonder since Amano was there...For me Amelia was better than the first two in group 2. And she was better than all senior ladies.
Something to work on. But great for her that she's making headway on a 3-3 combination, since that's a hurdle so few of her competitors have managed to clear.

EDIT: Keegan's SP, for those who want to watch again.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The YouTube link Colonel Green posted is a screen recording, so I've cut Keegan's SP from the Skate Ontario archived livestream for those of you who prefer to watch a slightly clearer, non-"shaky" video: https://vimeo.com/285673799

over 97 points.

Actually he scored almost 98 points: 97.97! :bow:

Haleth

On the Ice
The YouTube link Colonel Green posted is a screen recording, so I've cut Keegan's SP from the Skate Ontario archived livestream for those of you who prefer to watch a slightly clearer, non-"shaky" video: https://vimeo.com/285673799

Thank you for the video! His charm did come through (as did Nam's) despite the hockey net (as off putting as that was because it was very noticeable). He and Nam were reeling off jumps in practice and yet it felt more like the Battle of the Hams (I mean that with affection, since they both warmed up the place with their sense of fun). Keegan not only did the usual bows at the end of the program, but circled around so he could then do another separate flourish towards the stands. You can hear the crowd's reaction after the video turns to replays.

I agree that their music choices fit them well and Keegan's musicality was especially excellent for early season.

Keegan's hydroblade looked rather uncertain, but I suspect that will get more secure over time. Nam's SP felt easier and more settled this time, but then I'm not sure if that's the mostly the different feel I got from seeing it live. I certainly didn't get the same anxiety I sometimes do watching him largely because he seemed more relaxed.

I do agree Keegan looks very hungry to prove he is Canada's no. 1 senior man (by which I mean he did not seem like he was coasting on last season's success). His program felt very ready in a way I haven't seen from any other senior man so far.

I hope Roman hasn't fallen prey to an injury, having already withdrawn from another competition. I suspect he would have wanted the experience of doing a smaller event before ACI...

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Can someone please confirm that the parking is free at Scotiabank Pond? Hoping to go there in the afternoon.