2018 Internationaux de France Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Free Dance

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Eat nachos off it :DDD The possibilities are endless!!!

He could use it to write notes on to pass around in class, hang it from his ceiing and add LED lights pilled around and on it to make a modern chandelier, add a chain to wear it and wear it as a protective shield or a star medallion necklance. Serve cheese andcrackers on it.. Use it as a place to put his jewelery on it or money like a valet. A paper weight so his papers don't fly as he tries air out his room. Use the star tips to tease his hair so he even gets more volume? Use it as a defence weapon if soeone should try to break into his room or attack him. So many possiblities...

TarAncalime

On the Ice
He could use it to write notes on to pass around in class, hang it from his ceiing and add LED lights pilled around and on it to make a modern chandelier, add a chain to wear it and wear it as a protective shield or a star medallion necklance. Serve cheese andcrackers on it.. Use it as a place to put his jewelery on it or money like a valet. A paper weight so his papers don't fly as he tries air out his room. Use the star tips to tease his hair so he even gets more volume? Use it as a defence weapon if soeone should try to break into his room or attack him. So many possiblities...

Guillaume just looked around in an awkward way all the time such as where do I put this thing somewhere, so that I have my hands free at the ceremony? :scard7: :) as the referee congratulated him. Hilariuos.....

Later he was seen using it as a tablet to carry the other stuff in the gift box around the rink...;-)))))

Well, I had to step away from this and ruminate over my emotions. :love: :confused: :cry:

To me, there were the top 4, then ‘the others’. I'll focus on the top 4 and even this limit with my spew of verbosity will likely be TL;DR for many.

Gilles & Poirier:
To put it mildly, I am gutted I won’t be seeing P[SUP]2 [/SUP]in the GPF. These two are (to me) the epitome of variety and originality in today’s ice dance couples. They deliver a woven program that is so much more than just a series of discrete individual elements as I see in the majority of the other top couples’ routines that exude ‘here’s my mandatory twizzles’ … wait for it … ‘now here’s my mandatory no-touch s/s’ … wait again … ‘and now my trick lift’ (I’m looking at you S&B!). I think you get the picture…

I realize this is not ALL that is required, but I need someone to SHOW me where and why their levels are reduced. Are their rockers actually 3-turn/changes of edge? Counters as brackets/changes of edge? Are their choctaws not transitioned to the correct edge? Are their twizzles incorrectly a series of 3-turns? In real time, I don’t see this but then I’m simply mesmerized by their choreography and presentation. No doubt, they ARE aware but I hope with Carol and Juris, they can have a good chin-wag with Janice Hunter to go over the nitty gritty on the levels lost here in France so they can slay at 4CC. I have always thought Paul was a superb dancer (with Vanessa Crone) and while Piper had a ways to catch up when they first paired, I think she has risen very close, and likely a match, to Paul’s skills.

I still have faith P[SUP]2[/SUP] will get their deserved dues. I still believe in the magic of Paul Wylie moments…

Hawayek & Baker:
I love the lyrical quality of this couple, and for them, I’m happy they made the GPF. Should they be ahead of G&P? I don’t think so. Their win at NHK was a charmed bit of luck by P&C’s withdrawal. However, they did deserve that win, so that’s a fair outcome for them.

And I’ll be happy if I get yet another chance to see their Austin Powers exhibition! :biggrin:

Sinitsina/Katsalipov:
I’m actually starting to warm to these two, FAR preferring them to S&B. I realized I zoned in to part of their program, then it would lapse, then I was back paying attention. Some sloppiness in the second half. They have a nice silhouette in body line. Their twizzles were stellar. However, I still preferred G&P’s performance today…I remain a stubborn loyal fan of Starry, Starry Night! :laugh:

I can’t help but picture these two skating to Candide with Katsalipov as the perfect Maximillian. Maybe next year?

Papadakis/Cizeron:
This won’t be a popular opinion, but I was SO disappointed with their chosen music and tempo. I feel like I’m watching the same program I’ve seen from them for the last 3 years. Another To Build a Home. Another Moonlight Sonata. Both were brilliant. But sorry, Groundhog Day comes to mind…

I cannot deny their exceptional technical skills and buttery ethereal quality of movement with speed and flow. They are that good. And yes, their win was deserved, although I don’t agree with the altitude of the 132-and-change mark.

But is what is now being dubbed Montreal Mush their only genre? I don’t believe this is simply a Gadbois effect – just look at what Fear & Gibson have shown us! (another one of my favourite FDs this year). I am beginning to wonder if this soft tempo is the only style P&C have the ability to show well.

It was a long wait to see their programs for this year, and I am sadly underwhelmed by their FD choice. I would have much preferred to see a complete departure in theme – like a 1920s Flapper Slapper routine – as a break away from their last few FDs and start to this new quadrennial.

Here endeth my dirge of a free dance epistle… :slink:

Oh, I have to add, the best part of this whole event was NoNameFace and tabsy being with us from the front line. I was doing the happy squirm in my rocker when NNF got to personally present her gorgeous bouquet to my beloved P[SUP]2[/SUP]! :thank:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Perhaps the awesome podcast Waxles and Flutzes will explain..? They are so knowledgeable about Ice Dance.

Perhaps the awesome podcast Waxles and Flutzes will explain..? They are so knowledgeable about Ice Dance.
Thanks for the tip. I've never listened to them, and found their podcast site:
https://soundcloud.com/flutzesandwaxels
I"m watching the CBC commentary coverage right now, but nothing given by Carol on that level of detail on the technical side of G&P's skate. Kurt did say their program isn't a 'shopping list of elements'.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oooh, the fight at the GPF is gonna be interesting, especially since we actually don't know who's gonna win gold! (or even podium for that matter) :dance3:

Given the P/C won't be there, I would be highly highly highly highly highly (did I say highly? I mean highlier than that) surprised if the podium contained any other team than the top three finishers of the GP Series (barring of course, any unforeseen errors by those teams that are actually scored AS errors).

Welcome to 6.0.02. It's not the new and improved upgrade you were hoping for.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Well, I had to step away from this and ruminate over my emotions. :love: :confused: :cry:

To me, there were the top 4, then ‘the others’. I'll focus on the top 4 and even this limit with my spew of verbosity will likely be TL;DR for many.

Gilles & Poirier:
To put it mildly, I am gutted I won’t be seeing P[SUP]2 [/SUP]in the GPF. These two are (to me) the epitome of variety and originality in today’s ice dance couples. They deliver a woven program that is so much more than just a series of discrete individual elements as I see in the majority of the other top couples’ routines that exude ‘here’s my mandatory twizzles’ … wait for it … ‘now here’s my mandatory no-touch s/s’ … wait again … ‘and now my trick lift’ (I’m looking at you S&B!). I think you get the picture…

I realize this is not ALL that is required, but I need someone to SHOW me where and why their levels are reduced. Are their rockers actually 3-turn/changes of edge? Counters as brackets/changes of edge? Are their choctaws not transitioned to the correct edge? Are their twizzles incorrectly a series of 3-turns? In real time, I don’t see this but then I’m simply mesmerized by their choreography and presentation. No doubt, they ARE aware but I hope with Carol and Juris, they can have a good chin-wag with Janice Hunter to go over the nitty gritty on the levels lost here in France so they can slay at 4CC. I have always thought Paul was a superb dancer (with Vanessa Crone) and while Piper had a ways to catch up when they first paired, I think she has risen very close, and likely a match, to Paul’s skills.

I still have faith P[SUP]2[/SUP] will get their deserved dues. I still believe in the magic of Paul Wylie moments…

Hawayek & Baker:
I love the lyrical quality of this couple, and for them, I’m happy they made the GPF. Should they be ahead of G&P? I don’t think so. Their win at NHK was a charmed bit of luck by P&C’s withdrawal. However, they did deserve that win, so that’s a fair outcome for them.

And I’ll be happy if I get yet another chance to see their Austin Powers exhibition! :biggrin:

Sinitsina/Katsalipov:
I’m actually starting to warm to these two, FAR preferring them to S&B. I realized I zoned in to part of their program, then it would lapse, then I was back paying attention. Some sloppiness in the second half. They have a nice silhouette in body line. Their twizzles were stellar. However, I still preferred G&P’s performance today…I remain a stubborn loyal fan of Starry, Starry Night! :laugh:

I can’t help but picture these two skating to Candide with Katsalipov as the perfect Maximillian. Maybe next year?

Papadakis/Cizeron:
This won’t be a popular opinion, but I was SO disappointed with their chosen music and tempo. I feel like I’m watching the same program I’ve seen from them for the last 3 years. Another To Build a Home. Another Moonlight Sonata. Both were brilliant. But sorry, Groundhog Day comes to mind…

I cannot deny their exceptional technical skills and buttery ethereal quality of movement with speed and flow. They are that good. And yes, their win was deserved, although I don’t agree with the altitude of the 132-and-change mark.

But is what is now being dubbed Montreal Mush their only genre? I don’t believe this is simply a Gadbois effect – just look at what Fear & Gibson have shown us! (another one of my favourite FDs this year). I am beginning to wonder if this soft tempo is the only style P&C have the ability to show well.

It was a long wait to see their programs for this year, and I am sadly underwhelmed by their FD choice. I would have much preferred to see a complete departure in theme – like a 1920s Flapper Slapper routine – as a break away from their last few FDs and start to this new quadrennial.

Here endeth my dirge of a free dance epistle… :slink:

Oh, I have to add, the best part of this whole event was NoNameFace and tabsy being with us from the front line. I was doing the happy squirm in my rocker when NNF got to personally present her gorgeous bouquet to my beloved P[SUP]2[/SUP]! :thank:

I agree wholeheartedly! I SO wanted to see Piper and Paul at the final. Paul is such a fine skater and Piper has caught up to him. Sin/Kats have really improved this year. Russian nationals will be a nail-biter; they have such fine teams this year. I too have had enough of Pap.Ciz and the same style they do every year. They are always last out of the gate which is frustrating. Even Kurt put it in a very polite way that they are the best at what they do and he gets caught up in it but he would like to see them do something radically different. I may gave to change my name from Scrufflet to Grumpy Curmudgeon.

LaArdilla

Medalist
I just don’t get their problem with medals. It’s not that they have to be made of actual gold and silver and bronze, you know, Didier? When I participate in some cheap running events I always get a medal! And 3 time world champions P/C don’t?! ISU should just tell them to stop being ridiculous. But I head a laugh reading your ideas about possible uses of these “trays” in Nathan’s dorm, and a laugh after Ladies FP is much appreciated.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I just don’t get their problem with medals. It’s not that they have to be made of actual gold and silver and bronze, you know, Didier? When I participate in some cheap running events I always get a medal! And 3 time world champions P/C don’t?! ISU should just tell them to stop being ridiculous. But I head a laugh reading your ideas about possible uses of these “trays” in Nathan’s dorm, and a laugh after Ladies FP is much appreciated.

Also, what's up with the watches? That seems tacky, IMO. I'd expect that to be a 'prize' at a local bowling tournament :rolleye:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Is there a real competition in ice dance this season? Judges are putting P/C so far above everyone that there is not even point on having a competition. I know nothing of ice dance so can't tell if they are overscored or not, but i don't see so much difference between them and others. Dance is definitely the least interesting category.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
After all the comments about G and G costume I was a little bit scared but I actually liked it. The program tho, doesn’t do it for me right now, the second part was better than the first but there’s something missing overrall. Mozart is still my favorite program of them.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Jason's face and Nathan's smirk on the podium while receiving blue shapes of something said it all - same event, just different way of palmface;)

LaArdilla

Medalist
By the way, what were the colours of “trays” for ladies and pairs? The ceremony of the former was too heartbreaking for me to watch and the latter was too late.

Lota

Record Breaker
Given the P/C won't be there, I would be highly highly highly highly highly (did I say highly? I mean highlier than that) surprised if the podium contained any other team than the top three finishers of the GP Series (barring of course, any unforeseen errors by those teams that are actually scored AS errors).

Welcome to 6.0.02. It's not the new and improved upgrade you were hoping for.

Shhh, let me dream about a competition that is actually a competition :dance2:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
By the way, what were the colours of “trays” for ladies and pairs? The ceremony of the former was too heartbreaking for me to watch and the latter was too late.

It was BASIC for plastic, with exception of pink instead of red;)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Is there a real competition in ice dance this season? Judges are putting P/C so far above everyone that there is not even point on having a competition. I know nothing of ice dance so can't tell if they are overscored or not, but i don't see so much difference between them and others. Dance is definitely the least interesting category.

Shhh, let me dream about a competition that is actually a competition :dance2:

Well Papadakis/Cizeron are clearly going to win every event they're in this year, but IMO we, at least for now, have some interesting competition for 2-4 behind them. Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, and Hubbell/Donohue have SBs within .50 of each other. So while I absolutely expect those 3 to be on the GPF podium the order is a question mark.

Of course once GPF is over we could very well have our rankings for the rest of the season.

LaArdilla

Medalist
The “Duet” part of P/C fd may be lulling me to sleep, but those lifts are stunners. The curve one is practically parallel to the ice, how they are not falling on their bottoms is beyond me.

I wish they would skate the whole thing to “Sunday Afternoon”. The song is 9 minutes long so one could make two decent programs out of it, with tempo change and everything. It has some grit and angst to it, so I love the second part of their dance. They are just glorious to watch. Not sure about the costumes yet, I think I prefer their overall tango look, very understated and “Parisian” even, haha.

cell

On the Ice
The “Duet” part of P/C fd may be lulling me to sleep, but those lifts are stunners. The curve one is practically parallel to the ice, how they are not falling on their bottoms is beyond me.

I wish they would skate the whole thing to “Sunday Afternoon”. The song is 9 minutes long so one could make two decent programs out of it, with tempo change and everything. It has some grit and angst to it, so I love the second part of their dance. They are just glorious to watch. Not sure about the costumes yet, I think I prefer their overall tango look, very understated and “Parisian” even, haha.

I love Duet. It's very "cold winter day, sitting in front of a fireplace in a sweater with a warm cup of tea".

Yes, the curve lift is my favorite as well, an absolute stunner...

It is boring though that there is no competition to P/C this season (and maybe for the next year or two?)