2018 Internationaux de France Free Dance | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Free Dance

StephenGfan

Final Flight
I don't know why people are saying its an Unpopular opinion that P/C FD is lacking when that's been the general opinion of the entire thread. I have have seen alot of people not fancy it on twitter and youtube as well. While even moonlight sonata while favoured here was not favoured on figure skating stan twitter and tumblr. Its interesting to see different perspectives. I have also noticed that figure skating fans on social media sites tend to be on the younger side while here people tend to alot older.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My beauties are going to the GPF! Yes! I wish they had had a podium finish but at least they did not get cheap plastic trays...

Nika09

On the Ice
GPFinal without P/C? And G/P? Sorry, I don't think I want to follow it. Going to cheer for Kaitlin and Jean-Luc but don't think they'll medaled there.

I don't understand people who keep saying Papadakis/Cizeron FD is the same as it was last few seasons, indeed. Did you guys even watch it?! It's easier to just say "I don't like them anyway" than meaningless criticism you know...
Because this program has nothing to do with the previous ones. It start slow and then changing and rising, becoming something extra special. But keeping its romantic aura all the way through program. You even don't have chance to focus on the technical side, which is superior as well. Their lifts this season this season are so gorgeous (OMG that curve lift in FD!!) Gaby and Guillaume are super talented that's for sure, have that power to be one with the music.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I am upset. Besides I realized that no one program excites me like Virtue/Moir or Davis/White ANY programs did (with the exception of Gilis-Poirier and the Brit's Free Dance maybe)I just realized that my favorite couple (Papadakis-Cizeron) gives
the chance for the future politicking to favorize some of the Russian couples VERY soon in the next 4 years (maybe even this year?). I just cannot figure out -after passionately watching ice dance since 1972 - why Cristopher Dean and Stephane Lambiel (my all time favorites) has been needed to c reate THIS propgram..... :( I seriously think that this program of Papadakis/Cizeron will be one of the reasons why they will never win Olympic Gold. Judges will NOT stand this for another 4 years (maybe even not myself)...

Shedi0806

On the Ice
I am upset. Besides I realized that no one program excites me like Virtue/Moir or Davis/White ANY programs did (with the exception of Gilis-Poirier and the Brit's Free Dance maybe)I just realized that my favorite couple (Papadakis-Cizeron) gives
the chance for the future politicking to favorize some of the Russian couples VERY soon in the next 4 years (maybe even this year?). I just cannot figure out -after passionately watching ice dance since 1972 - why Cristopher Dean and Stephane Lambiel (my all time favorites) has been needed to c reate THIS propgram..... :( I seriously think that this program of Papadakis/Cizeron will be one of the reasons why they will never win Olympic Gold. Judges will NOT stand this for another 4 years (maybe even not myself)...

I feel you, but they are gonna win regardless. The judges have made their point very clear.

I don't know why people are saying its an Unpopular opinion that P/C FD is lacking when that's been the general opinion of the entire thread. I have have seen alot of people not fancy it on twitter and youtube as well. While even moonlight sonata while favoured here was not favoured on figure skating stan twitter and tumblr. Its interesting to see different perspectives. I have also noticed that figure skating fans on social media sites tend to be on the younger side while here people tend to alot older.

:rofl: You must be one of the young’uns who has loads of time and energy to multi-task and fast fingers to track multiple sources and provide relevant social media links for us old fogies who have arthritic digits, no social media accounts and are appreciative to have sufficient remaining vision to use GS as central go-to source.

Please know I tease in absolute jest! :biggrin:

You are right in that I’m not the only one who has commented on disappointment in P/C’s FD this year in this thread. However, there are avid P/C fans who have also commented on the divineness of the program as a uniquely new and fresh theme they are presenting, while perplexed by those whose opinion don’t agree.

For the record, I am very much a P/C fan who has a sense of awe at their remarkable ability to express the soft lyrical romantic style. I am also a fanatic that skaters be able to show originality and diversity in repertoire themes and concepts. Those are the skaters I remember even half a century later and if found on YouTube, still go back to watch.

Totally OT, but looking at your user name, GO GOGOLEV in the JGPF! :hap10:

Big Deal

Final Flight
I feel you, but they are gonna win regardless. The judges have made their point very clear.

I don't think that they will in 2022...... Only if they show some versatility. Judges and ISU always creating a competition to make the Olympic "interesting" and having the "hype" to get audience . (They were nowhere near to Virtue/Moir and look what happened.... almost......)

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Just managed to watch P/C's FD. I personally loved it. I can understand people not liking it, but I can't see why people say it's similar to their previous free dances. Maybe the first part. The second part though it's powerfull and dramatic. Another thing that buggs me is the constant critique that they are staying in their confort zone. Meryl and Charlie who are so adored here were amazing but they were so conservative with their FD. Big, powerfull, dramatic music and popular themes to showcase their strength.

viennaskater

Medalist
Sorry but Piper and Paul deserve to be there more than Z/G for sure. It all went down to luck of the draw, and that's just total rubbish. Hopefully they come back strong at 4CC and Worlds.

Agree totally. No need to say sorry. And I find it incredible that Sinitsina/Kasalapov's programme was given more marks. How? It is completely dated in comparison to just about all the other programmes. Typical 'trying-too-hard' Russian style with boring used-before music which cannot be compared to the likes of P/C or G/P. Exactly the same goes for Z/G's awful FD. Who needs to hear Blues for Klook again?

Why did Virtue/Moir and Davis/White win the last few Olympics, if such a programme is rated so highly? Unbelievable.

The only Russians who have made an effort to come into the 21st century are Stepanova/Bukin.

AliAle

On the Ice
Just managed to watch P/C's FD. I personally loved it. I can understand people not liking it, but I can't see why people say it's similar to their previous free dances. Maybe the first part. The second part though it's powerfull and dramatic. Another thing that buggs me is the constant critique that they are staying in their confort zone. Meryl and Charlie who are so adored here were amazing but they were so conservative with their FD. Big, powerfull, dramatic music and popular themes to showcase their strength.

I think the vast majority of people complaining about P/C not being versatile enough confuse skating the same type of program with having a very specific aesthetic and voice in ice dance. What makes P/C so different from the rest of the teams, aside from currently being technically better, are two things: 1) there's not a stiff bone in their upper body, which in terms brings complete freedom in their movement quality; 2) they have this very particular rise and fall in their knees perfectly timed to any music they skate to;
To me, and I guess to the rest of their fans, that makes them almost hypnotic to watch because there's no break in their movement, it's almost like watching a fish under water (even when changing speed and direction, there's grace and fluidity in movement). This will always be their trademark no matter what type of music they skate to. Heck, this year's free is sexy, intimate, bluesy... and folks will have you think it's Mozart again.

moon

On the Ice
S/K beat G/P because they skated their program better. It doesn’t matter if you like one piece of choreography better than the other

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I like P/C's program, or at least the idea of it, better than some of their previous ones but I hate the change of music in the middle. Just drop one of the pieces and stick to the other, they mesh very poorly.
Or maybe I just have low expectations of their camp in terms of originality or substance :p

As for the two Russian teams, S/K and S/B, both of them don't present us with some spectacular or deep free dances (who does really this season) but on the other hand these dances are nice and easy to digest enough and both teams have speed and power and momentum, and with the strong backing of their fed, it is easy to see why both teams are suddenly in the running for medals at worlds.

twirlingblades

Medalist

I’m not big into ice dance, but I really like P/C free dance. Not too sure about the music change but wow those lifts! And I really like the second half. They are the best with V/M retiring.

I didn’t think it was too similar to their old stuff, but again I don’t really follow ice dance closely enough.