2018 JGP Canada Rhythm Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 JGP Canada Rhythm Dance

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Given how much Latin dance is about the hips, if skaters performed more "pure ballroom" dances, they'd probably spend a lot more time on their butts!

I think some ice dancers have great hips but most do not. Tessa Virtue does I think.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think some ice dancers have great hips but most do not. Tessa Virtue does I think.

Well if you're on ice and tiny blades, screwing with your center of gravity has a lot more uhm consequences. Tessa is just amazing period. What couldn't she do?

pearly

Record Breaker
This is very interesting. I often hear people who know their ballroom dance saying that a lot of what the ID world calls Rumba, Salsa and others are nothing like the pure ballroom forms.

To be honest, I don't know ballroom tango at all, I presumed that was what most teams in ice are attempting because for sure it ain't real Argentine Tango they're channeling :biggrin:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just from watching the JGP, if I had to guess who will inherit Marjorie and Zach's junior national title once they move up, it would definitely be Natalie and Bruce.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL
Music: Argentine Tango: Querer by Rene Dupere (Cirque du Soleil) / Tango: Toreado by Rene Dupere (Cirque du Soleil)
Choreography by: Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer
Costumes: Lovely blue skirt with black crop top with black sequins for her; basic black for him

Required Elements:

Twizzles first set out of sync but good speed
AT Pattern - good but they need to connect more as a couple
Midline St Seq - much better; much more flair; surprised it was only a level 2.
Rotational Lift

Yup; they're progressing. She has quite a lot of maturity for her age

Score: 52.94 (27.98 TES, 24.96 PCS)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oooo Polina from Russia get +5.00 GOE for her dress from me! Love the green! :luv17:

pearly

Record Breaker
Natalie D'ALESSANDRO / Bruce WADDELL
Music: Argentine Tango: Querer by Rene Dupere (Cirque du Soleil) / Tango: Toreado by Rene Dupere (Cirque du Soleil)
Choreography by: Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer
Costumes: Lovely blue skirt with black crop top with black sequins for her; basic black for him

Required Elements:

Twizzles first set out of sync but good speed
AT Pattern - good but they need to connect more as a couple
Midline St Seq - much better; much more flair; surprised it was only a level 2.
Rotational Lift

Yup; they're progressing. She has quite a lot of maturity for her age

Score: 52.94

They look like they have more flow, speed and difficulty than most other teams. Maybe I wasn't watching close enough, but I was surprised by the low score.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Polina IVANENKO / Daniil KARPOV
Music: Tango
Choreography by: Mikhail Kolegov
Costumes: Green dress with sequined straps for her; grey pants and vest with red/maroon shirt for him. I find it all a bit disconcerting to look at.

Required Elements:

Serpentine St Seq - Bringing the Uber Drama!
AT - lovely edges
Curve lift - his balance is impeccable
Twizzles - good distance and speed. Nicely done

The basics are all very good. I just didn't get much of an AT feeling from this, despite all the Uber Dramah!

Score: 59.02 (31.34 TES, 27.68 PCS)

pearly

Record Breaker
Amazing step sequence by L/L! Those arm movements, they go so well with the steps and the music.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA
Music: Tango: Perro Viejo performed by Otros Aires / Tango: Otro Puente Alsina performed by Otros Aires / Tango: Essa performed by Otros Aires
Choreography by: R. Haguenauer, G. Cournoyer, M.F. Dubreuil
Costumes: Black dres with flowered appliques for her; black pants and vest with purple/blue shirt for him

Required Elements:

Twizzles - Well they decided to bring the flair didn't they? As an audience member, thank you
AT Pattern - they have lovely extension
NT Midline St Seq - flair flair flair
Rotational Lift - quite speedy with a great entrance into it

I agreee with Ted, they could use a bit more consistent expression throughout but a great job.

Score: 65.57 (35.37 TES, 30.20 PCS)

Into first and deservedly so. That was smashing.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Chloe Dan TSOI / Long You Zimou WANG
Music:
Choreography by:
Costumes: Basic black dress with illusion fabric back for her; basic black for him

Required Elements:

St Line Lift - basic but nice
Twizzles - really lovely exit out of the first set, I was delightfully surprised by it
AT Pattern - she's very animated; he's Mr Stoic
Midline St Seq - look it's not the most difficult steps and it's slow, but you know these guys aren't bad for a new team. He brought more life here and it helps sell the program.

Stick with it guys.

Score: 35.24 (19.36 TES, 16.88 PCS)