2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
well .. if we were speaking of ladies or even pairs i would belive that's the reason ... but we all know that russian men's pop and fail no matter what boots ... in russian national were because the old boots:scratch3:

:rolleye: Yes, all the Russian men do that and only them, unlike the rest of male skaters who are all completely consistent. Please. This is why I hardly come to this place any more.

CONGRATULATIONS DIMA!!!!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Nice podium, Aliyev, Danielyan and Kvitelashvili ( all really are Russian raised and trained, no matter their flags ;-)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Wow! such a redemption for Aliev! Those tears!
He must have felt horrible the whole last year, not being able to put out any decent skates whole year.
And now he's the first russian european champion since 2012.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Aliev! That was his finest skating, and so happy for him getting a breakthrough performance. Definitely puts him in World podium contention, if he can get an SP like Nepela and a FS like Euros.

Danileian also showed a ton of potential. Lovely posture, and neat jumps.

Sad for Brezina, but it was a tall order and a ton of pressure to follow Dmitri's skate. Still hanging tough though at his age, and good for him for winning the SP!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Congrats to Aliev! That was his finest skating, and so happy for him getting a breakthrough performance. Definitely puts him in World podium contention, if he can get an SP like Nepela and a FS like Euros.

Danileian also showed a ton of potential. Lovely posture, and neat jumps.

Sad for Brezina, but it was a tall order and a ton of pressure to follow Dmitri's skate. Still hanging tough though at his age, and good for him for winning the SP!

Doesn’t he need PCs in the nines? It’s very low

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Spreading the Dima love :) GPF was heartbreaking, but Dima didn't let that get him down and now he's European champion!

Artur is also fabulous! What a cutie! I hope he goes far. :)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
An interesting fact - skaters of Azerbaijani(??? not sure at all, but his last name sounds kind of Tatar/Azerbaijani to me), Armenian and Georgian decent take the pedestal, but they're all Russian born and raised, and call Russia their home.
Multinational podium, and yet one can call it a Russian sweep at the same time as well!
Diverse country that provided so many wonderful skaters! Bless!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Kinda funny - Azerbaijani(?), Armenian and Georgian take the pedestal, but they're all Russian born and raised, and call Russia their home.
Multinational podium, and yet one can call it a Russian sweep at the same time as well!

Plus it's nice three training schools have made it to the podium, just for the sake of diversity.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:rolleye: Yes, all the Russian men do that and only them, unlike the rest of male skaters who are all completely consistent. Please. This is why I hardly come to this place any more.

CONGRATULATIONS DIMA!!!!

People are hard on the Russian men for sure! The media and the Russian Figure Skating Fed are the worst offenders.

I mean I know it's not a Fan Fest, but let's not accuse a guy of lying. If being a fan of skating has taught me nothing else, it's that boots are fickle.

madraykin

Rinkside

He's got the 4th highest seasons best of the men so far.

Now obviously there's Uno who I think everyone expects to do better at Worlds that during the GP. Aymoz if Euros was just a weird blip. Jin depending on how the jumps are going. Possibly Zhou, but we have no idea what sort of shape he's in.

I wouldn't just hand Dima a medal but if he performs at his best he should be in the hunt.

Will they send Danielian to Worlds?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Will they send Danielian to Worlds?

I think they will have to send him now.
They could've not sent him, had he been off podium. But Artur earned a silver medal and proved himself, I don't think Russia will dare to send anyone else instead now.

AlimaAsh

On the Ice
Well done to all three skaters! Gutted for Daniel for not making the podium, but he is so
young, he will have many more opportunities if he continues skating. Him and Artur are strong contenders for years to come, excited to see them more in Senior competitions :)

AlimaAsh

On the Ice
An interesting fact - skaters of Azerbaijani(??? not sure at all, but his last name sounds kind of Tatar/Azerbaijani to me), Armenian and Georgian decent take the pedestal, but they're all Russian born and raised, and call Russia their home.

I’m pretty sure Dima is of Tatar descent. I am of Tatar descent and that’s a pretty common surname :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think they will have to send him now.
They could've not sent him, had he been off podium. But Artur earned a silver medal and proved himself, I don't think Russia will dare to send anyone else instead now.

I saw twit or something that his coaching team did not prepare for Worlds. But Worlds are two months away, so...fingers crossed? Danielian now showed how good he can be in seniors, so it makes sense to send him into the Worlds.

It’s just an incredible day for Russian gentlemen.

icybear

Medalist
Well done Dima on delivering the best performance of his life! I've always been a secret admirer since his fs performance in Euro 2018. I hope this will cement his place as the number one male Russian skater

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Wow! such a redemption for Aliev! Those tears!
He must have felt horrible the whole last year, not being able to put out any decent skates whole year.
And now he's the first russian european champion since 2012.

That is so funny.

Cause for all these years RusFed preferred to bet mostly on jumpers (with Kovtun for many years and Samarin in the most recent ones), probably to have more chances to see clean performances, and they never really delivered.

The so-called inconsistent Aliev, often treated as the third spot ready to be replaced by someone else, did better than all those other guys and it's not even the first time. I remember even at Euro 2018 it was the same.

I wonder if the internal competition with Ignatov this season has also contributed to this huge improvements, but besides that physically Dima looks a lot more preparred this season. To me he's always looked like a potential number one in Russia and among the best in the Worlds since the junior days, it was just a matter of getting there i guess.

Good for Danielian too, 6 months ago the quad sal was so unstable, i'd have never expected to see that element so consistent this soon, he went from not qualifying to JGPF to Russia No.2 for Worlds.

No shade but it's good to see top russian skaters who are also good artistically, not just technically.

I was hoping to see Grassl too on the podium after that free, he was so close :(

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
And wasn't it just beautiful to see the emotions? Dima himself, but also his coach. I am so pleased for him. After that rotten season last year, the awkward GPF and now European Champion. Deserved European champion (what a skate!), there's no doubt.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Everything was beautiful about DA’s free skate, the music, the delivery, the ease of elements. Aww, beautiful moments.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Given Kolyada with two falls and less content got like 87 at one point, yes.

Dima’s PCS was rather low... I’d have given it about a 90. But the judges have their faves. In comparison to the others though his PCS should have been higher.

It is a bit of a muted program but his skating is lovely. Especially after Danielian I though the judges would shower him with PCS.

Side note: Kevin, love him, but saw the protocols and his PCS was crazy high for that SP. I mean 8’s for performance including an 8.50?!?!