2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

readernick

Medalist
Happy for Dima. In terms of PCS, I think Dima's basic skating holds his PCS down a little. He is a lovely musical skater and a good performer, but his SS could be improved. Also, I don't think his LP music is the best choice for his style of skating.

The Russian man with both good performance quality and good SS is Artur. I am a huge fan. His posture and his edges are incredible. I really hope he gets sent to Worlds.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw twit or something that his coaching team did not prepare for Worlds. But Worlds are two months away, so...fingers crossed? Danielian now showed how good he can be in seniors, so it makes sense to send him into the Worlds.

It’s just an incredible day for Russian gentlemen.

What she said when asked if Artur should go to Euros or be left in juniors is that he should go to Euros for experience and to introduce himself to the judges. He will go there as #3 and not to maintain quotas, that quotas should be the responsibility of the more senior guys. So why not go. She said Worlds is different and he is not pretending for a spot at SrW.

One can think she did learn something with Kovtun and doesn't want to repeat it with Artur. Kovtun has said countless times after retiring, if he had to do it all again, he would go to JrW and not SrW.

What they (coaching council) do now that Artur has a medal? IDK. He has no automatic entry there, Aliev does, 2nd is by coaching council.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think a team of Aliev and Danielian would be good for Worlds, but mostly because Artur wouldn't be the one with the weight of the world on his shoulders. I think Dima can definitely hold his own now, and Samarin just... Idk if he really has a place on the team with the way he's skating lately. But maybe Samarin, Artur and Makar should battle it out that third spot.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Happy for Dima. In terms of PCS, I think Dima's basic skating holds his PCS down a little. He is a lovely musical skater and a good performer, but his SS could be improved. Also, I don't think his LP music is the best choice for his style of skating.

The Russian man with both good performance quality and good SS is Artur. I am a huge fan. His posture and his edges are incredible. I really hope he gets sent to Worlds.

I think most of it comes from the actual choreography, his skating skills are good, but the short program has more contents especially in the steps sequence with actually some nice one foot sections. The free part is the music which is a bit on the same tone, still i wouldn't say it's a bad program, last year he had a better one but we've never seen it clean unfortunately.

The same criticism could be raised for Danielian's free skate (and many other programs) too: i love the music obviously and the overall theme, but there are several passages where he just points the audience or doing crossovers, or just super simple arm choreography. But you can see why, that program was originally designed for juniors. I wouldn't mind if Tarasova does a program for him in the future, he could handle her insanely difficult steps sequences.

But frankly i'd take this level of choreography any day over a more complex program with 2-3 falls every single time (so often the norm in Men's figure skating), or the opposite, programs that are just jumps and nothing else.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
That is so funny.

Cause for all these years RusFed preferred to bet mostly on jumpers (with Kovtun for many years and Samarin in the most recent ones), probably to have more chances to see clean performances, and they never really delivered.

Before the Nationals, Piseev came out with some idiotic comment about how Samarin is the only one with character of the Russian men. Pretty hilarious in light of the results of RN and Euros.

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1081630680.html

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What she said when asked if Artur should go to Euros or be left in juniors is that he should go to Euros for experience and to introduce himself to the judges. He will go there as #3 and not to maintain quotas, that quotas should be the responsibility of the more senior guys. So why not go. She said Worlds is different and he is not pretending for a spot at SrW.

One can think she did learn something with Kovtun and doesn't want to repeat it with Artur. Kovtun has said countless times after retiring, if he had to do it all again, he would go to JrW and not SrW.

What they (coaching council) do now that Artur has a medal? IDK. He has no automatic entry there, Aliev does, 2nd is by coaching council.

They do have Kolyada back from sick leave, Samarin’s boots will be broken into, and there is Makar the Gorgeous, if they do prefer to send Danielian to jr.W. He does skate in Saransk...

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They do have Kolyada back from sick leave, Samarin’s boots will be broken into, and there is Makar the Gorgeous, if they do prefer to send Danielian to jr.W. He does skate in Saransk...

Saransk, he can bypassed like Samarin and Pitkeev who both went from a medal at SrNats, to Euros to JrW and Artur placed better than both of them. Graz was his Saransk and he can go to JrW or SrW depending on what is decided.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The so-called inconsistent Aliev, often treated as the third spot ready to be replaced by someone else, did better than all those other guys and it's not even the first time. I remember even at Euro 2018 it was the same.

I wonder if the internal competition with Ignatov this season has also contributed to this huge improvements, but besides that physically Dima looks a lot more preparred this season. To me he's always looked like a potential number one in Russia and among the best in the Worlds since the junior days

I’ve been talking trash to my buddies for three hours now. I’ve been swearing up and down to them for two years that the only Russian men worth talking about (since Plushenko retired) are Kolyada and Aliev and they just laugh at me. Even when they both did well at the Olympics. Dammit, I know what I’m talking about and I’m going to be obnoxious for another two hours.

Aliev is now a podium threat at Worlds. His SP is solid; he’s been scoring high 80s-mid 90s with it. He even broke 100 once. The free is where the real issues are. Clean up the 4Lz and his spins and raise his PCS, he could break 190. I’m scared though because, well, I’m still suffering from the Kolyada Experience.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Before the Nationals, Piseev came out with some idiotic comment about how Samarin is the only one with character of the Russian men. Pretty hilarious in light of the results of RN and Euros.

Oh please. He’s the one with the least amount of character. But whatever. I’ll just sip my tea and let the results talk.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Saransk, he can bypassed like Samarin and Pitkeev who both went from a medal at SrNats, to Euros to JrW and Artur placed better than both of them. Graz was his Saransk and he can go to JrW or SrW depending on what is decided.

Oh, yes, he richly deserves placement in either.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Super thrilled for Dmitri :yahoo:
Even better that he was able to back up his national title, prove it wasn't a fluke and skate all lights out. Only 1 under rotation and positive goe on everything else which is good. Fingers crossed for worlds and good luck to him!

Danielian continues to impress me.
He's got beautiful posture, great use of his arms and unlike other Russian men seems to keep his stamina at the end of his program. I hope they send him to worlds. This the second consecutive competition where he totally out skated and crushed Samarin. He deserves to go!
Also I know Plushenko won the bronze at 1998 worlds at 15. Is Artur, 16, the youngest since then to medal at a major senior international event?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The candidacy of the second number of the Russian national team at the World Figure Skating Championships in men's singles will still be discussed, the president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation (FFKKR) Alexander Gorshkov told RIA Novosti.

“There will probably not be an executive committee of the FFKKR before the World Cup, but we will discuss it,” Gorshkov said, answering the question whether the candidacy of the second number of the Russian national team at the World Cup is currently clear.

https://rsport.ria.ru/20200124/1563806970.html

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now Gorshov says it's Buianova's decision if Artur goes to senior Worlds.

https://tass.ru/sport/7595287

“With European champion Dmitry Aliyev, the situation is clear. As for Danielyan, there’s still a month and a half before the World Cup, you don’t have to hurry - his coach should decide. As for Sasha Samarin, yes, it’s a failure. We’ll understand the situation,” he said Gorshkov.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Well done to all three skaters! Gutted for Daniel for not making the podium, but he is so
young, he will have many more opportunities if he continues skating. Him and Artur are strong contenders for years to come, excited to see them more in Senior competitions :)

Artur and Daniel were my highlights of yesterday's competition. Daniel's artistry and expression is beyond reproach, and both age- and timeless. Artur at this age is just cut out for this fun Verdi program, love him in it.

We'll see if any 'politicking' affects World Championships selection, or what will be added to the programs in the two months remaining. Seems to me, Samarin, despite his boots problems, needs to prove himself ready some more.

Always interesting to hear Inna Goncharenko's opinions ...

Inna Goncharenko: Aliyev gave an amazing skating run at the European Championship, in one go

Inna Goncharenko, Russia's Merited Figure Skating Trainer, in an interview with RIA Novosti correspondent Yelena Dyachkova shared her opinion about men's competitions at the European Championships in Graz, Austria, in which Russians Dmitriy Aliyev and Artur Danielyan won Gold and Silver medals.

-- For the first time in many years, Russia has the European champion in men's singles - Dmitriy Aliyev.

- You know, when Dima cried at the end, I myself had tears in my eyes. Such emotions! For these kind of skating runs, the coach really should work - this is what the student gave out! We are all present at such a joyful event. I am very happy for Dima and his coach Yevgeniy Rukavitsyn, all who work in their friendly team. Awesome skating run - inspired, from begin to end.

-- Dmitriy in the past had difficult seasons and breakdowns ...

- He is a very emotional person, this is evident from his performances. Apparently, a lot depends on his internal state. Today he went out, and it was clear that he would skate: he was in the image, in the program, from beginning to end - as an artist who performs his concert number. Dima lived his program, this rarely happens. You can just perform the elements, or you can just skate them out like he did, just a piece of real life on ice, a whole story. It’s hard to keep your nerve. There was no race for the elements, it was a whole piece. We are witnesses of such a cool event!

-- Do you think that Michal Brzezina, who was the leader after the SP, flinched psychologically, yet he was the last to perform?

- Michal is quite an experienced athlete. He always had such proglems: “butterflies”, breakdowns. This, apparently, is a property of the human psyche. But I want to note that a lot of work was done by Rafael Harutyunyan. I can say that the Brezina that I saw at these competitions added a lot for himself. The technique was finalized. At the beginning of the free program, Michal had in some way to race after his Salchow; this, apparently, put some kind of problem in his head. Then, when this race ended, his program began. The end of his free program showed that, firstly, it was perfectly set, and secondly, a chic skating run, beautifully done jumping elements - high, with spans, for a plus. But, unfortunately, this is not enough for victory and a good place.

-- Artur Danielyan?

- I want to congratulate him and the coaches. Artur - a debutant, but did not flinch at all, performed calmly, confidently. The fact that in the free program he flew from the exit from his triple Lutz is some kind of misunderstanding, I think. He was slightly inclined, slightly twisted and flew off. He himself, probably, did not understand why it happened. A little disappointing, because at the beginning he showed complex quadruples and a triple Axel in a cascade. He danced his program, in principle, did everything he could. When an athlete develops everything that is invested in him, it is always good. And it’s especially pleasant that we have the hope that Artur’s things will be even better and he will fight.

-- Can he turn his triples into quadruples?

- Of course. Moreover, he is very young, and he certainly has everything ahead.

-- Why do you think Aleksander Samarin performed unsuccessfully?

- It seems to me that at this competition he performed without any mood, went to his short and arbitrary program, like drooping. He, of course, turned on his character. Today he performed three difficult jumps qualitatively, but then made mistakes, a fall from the Axel knocked him out. And in the end, this Rittberger ... He just let go of himself, as if the program had ended. You never should, if you are a professional athlete, you need to keep the program to the end. Sorry. But he performed without courage, was very withdrawn in himself. I would like to wish him mood, the ability to pull himself together, skate his own programs, regardless of whether the elements are obtained. But Brzezina was able to switch, and we saw an artist, a high-level athlete, and that's great.

I heard that he changed skates before the European Championships, but I didn’t talk with Sasha or the coach on this topic. This is just an assumption. But if this is true, then this, of course, is a very difficult moment. For an athlete of such a high level, skates, boots are like a second skin, which is very difficult to change. Moreover, there was little time. Perhaps this may be an excuse. Although I do not want to justify anything by professional athletes, especially men. If you jumped on these boots quadruple Lutz's, then why didn't you jump a triple Rittberger in them? This does not justify in any way.

-- Now we will live in anticipation of the World Championships. Do you think our guys are competitive? After all, rivalry in the World Championship will be even higher.

- You see, skaters are always emotional people, they are always artists. Nervous by nature, everything is in the image. Everyone saw what happened at this European Championship with Frenchman Kevin Amyoz. Everyone thought that this was one of the main contenders for the victory, and he did not even get into the free program. it's all so unpredictable! Yes, there are recognised leaders, but believe me, it’s good that they are. For the rest reach for them, reaching for someone is always easier. It is more difficult to be this leader, to go further forward, to pull along and to defend. But I hope that all the main contenders for the World Championships will be in perfect health, everyone will be present there. They are superprofessionals and will not give an inch, they will lay down their bones. Therefore, there is no reason to hope for an easy victory. But if there is again such a skating run as Dima Aliyev had today: integral, with completed elements, with a program that holds the nerve, captures, it always gives a good result.

-- And how can a trainer say: is there any algorithm to repeat all this at the World's stage?

- I do not think that we need to focus on this. Do not chase for anything, you just need to go out and perform. There is such a thing - to do your work and perform, then everything develops. When you start to think of some goals, everything in your head only gets worse. They have already done this work, they know what needs to be done. Let's not shoot them down! Let them work further, that’s all.

-- Then it turns out that you need exactly what all the skaters like to say when they are asked about expectations - is it clean skating?

- Of course! And you always need luck. Fortune is necessary. You always need to be lucky and fortiduous at some points. We just wish our guys good luck!
-----
From: https://rsport.ria.ru/20200124/1563811116.html?in=t

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I think a team of Aliev and Danielian would be good for Worlds, but mostly because Artur wouldn't be the one with the weight of the world on his shoulders. I think Dima can definitely hold his own now, and Samarin just... Idk if he really has a place on the team with the way he's skating lately. But maybe Samarin, Artur and Makar should battle it out that third spot.

Russia only has 2 spots for men in the WC. So I would think if Danielian/his team decides he's not going then it's most likely gonna be Samarin, who had a good GP season, or maybe Ignatov.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Russia only has 2 spots for men in the WC. So I would think if Danielian/his team decides he's not going then it's most likely gonna be Samarin, who had a good GP season, or maybe Ignatov.
Is he planning to go to junior nats? He could be very well JW champion/medallist if he skate like he did in EC. He's also the most consistent out of junior team (Mozalev and Gumennik have high scorig potential but often perform poorly in FS)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is he planning to go to junior nats? He could be very well JW champion/medallist if he skate like he did in EC. He's also the most consistent out of junior team (Mozalev and Gumennik have high scorig potential but often perform poorly in FS)

Artur already has a Junior world medal from 2018. He's no more consistent than Mozy or Petr. Plus he's already on his 9th competition, why does he need junior nats?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Artur already has a Junior world medal from 2018. He's no more consistent than Mozy or Petr. Plus he's already on his 9th competition, why does he need junior nats?

Depends on wether Artur will be selected for Senior Worlds probably.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Depends on wether Artur will be selected for Senior Worlds probably.

Gorshkov already said it's up to his coach so he has been selected. Buyanova said she will think about it b/c they were planning on JrW.

Now what does a junior nats title bring him in the grand scheme of things? What if he finishes 4th? This competition is a week and a half away. He's not even leaving Euros until Monday so it's a week away for him.