2020 Skate America: Rhythm Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Rhythm Dance

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ha ha props to the rink DJ for playing Don't Stand So Close to Me.

Hmm guess I should catch up on the ladies and men as well as the Russian Cup. It's only late afternoon here in Aus.

I feel like I should go outside for some fresh air, but it's raining :(

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The first thing I want to do with Madi's dress is take a pair of scissors and chop half the skirt off. Then we can start on the other stuff.

Haha, SBS forgot to turn off the stream, so now we're just kinda sitting on a blank screen with the SBS logo up in the top corner.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Guess I'll have to borrow the DVD once I finish watching Murdoch Mysteries. ;)

ETA: Looks like it's on Netflix, maybe I'll give it watch now.

Great! When you're done, you can post it here and let us know what you thought! Haven't had a chance to promote this new feature yet :)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
All the teams were on. Chock and Bates were missed, but I hope they are mending and will soon be back competing. Madi and Zach have great programs this season, that suit them so much better than what they chose last season. They have a huge sweeping style, and they looked great in their rhythm dance!

I like the gold of Madi's costume, but the design isn't that appealing, and the material looks so cheap. Very overly costumey and cheap looking. With the right material and beading (which I guess is expensive and time-consuming to attach), Madi's costume could look so much more elegant and luxe. Madi's mother makes her costumes, so I guess they picked the material for its shine, since doing beading is time-consuming. But the shiny material gives off a cheap effect. Hopefully, Madi will find something better and ditch this particular costume.

I also very much enjoy Green/Parsons. I liked their FD so much last season. They seem to have chosen a more traditional style this season, so while I'm not that enthused about their music and programs this season, they are wonderful to watch together. Their passion and joy for skating together is obvious and contagious. And they both have great technique. I'm happy they match up together so well, and can continue their careers after their former respective sibling partners retired.

Hawayek/Baker are always fun to watch, and Carreira/Ponomarenko have improved a lot.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
All the teams were on. Chock and Bates were missed, but I hope they are mending and will soon be back competing. Madi and Zach have great programs this season, that suit them so much better than what they chose last season. They have a huge sweeping style, and they looked great in their rhythm dance!

I like the gold of Madi's costume, but the design isn't that appealing, and the material looks so cheap. Very overly costumey and cheap looking. With the right material and beading (which I guess is expensive and time-consuming to attach), Madi's costume could look so much more elegant and luxe. Madi's mother makes her costumes, so I guess they picked the material for its shine, since doing beading is time-consuming. But the shiny material gives off a cheap effect. Hopefully, Madi will find something better and ditch this particular costume.
I agree, but I'm not too worried about Madi's costume, she usually has another one or two by Nationals.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Some simple thoughts from an ID Jon Snow:

- H/D are million times better off without Daddy, but I agree with y'all that the dress is ugly. Hopefully she gets a new one.
- After seeing it live at 4CC (even with the unfortunate fall) I've grown to really enjoy H/B's disco, it was a fun performance and they got their Finnstep level so good for them.
- I've always liked C/P, they're engaging skaters. It seems their previous rivalry with McN/C (now sadly dissolved) has been replaced with the one with Green/Parsons, who are coming up strong.
- Speaking of McN/C, no shade to Anton Spiridonov but he's not filling in the role of Quinn Carpenter. I know they're brand-new but I'm not getting the vibe of a harmonious partnership just yet.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually Zach's costume is on point, he's dressed like Christina Aguilera's characters bartender love interest, Jack in the film. Madi's costume is what needs the work bigtime. It needs to look more like something in the movie and I'm not even saying it needs to look too risque.
Ok so I've watched the film now and see what you mean. Zac really does look the part!

As for Maddi, hmmm I quite like this outfit Ali wore - https://images.app.goo.gl/ifnD1N7b3mk7Ewk8A although I imagine it'd be too hard to skate in. Maybe she could go for this: https://images.app.goo.gl/qE8vNAfe29RuqH2M6 - except a bit longer.

Although, imagine if she wore something like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/tWh8ngnqAdaT7f197 - It would give new meaning to clutching your pearls :laugh2:

pesto

On the Ice
Anyone got any links to pics of costumes? I'm reading this to catch up on action, and need to see Madi's mress that you are all dissing.

cake

On the Ice
I liked H/B and C/P a lot and I think H/B should have been closer to H/D. H/D´s program does nothing for me. I think it´s boring with annoying wannabe-sexy gestures we´ve seen thousand times before (running her hand through her hair :rolleye: ). I agree the costume doesn´t help ;)

slider11

Medalist
I thought the event was well skated overall. Hubbell and Donahue are powerhouses! They seem to do best with raw, hard-hitting music and themes. Hawayek and Baker were crisp and jivey, just as disco should be. Although Carreira and Pnomarenko were good, I actually preferred Green and Parsons. They have a fresh approach that is very appealing. Kudos to Skate America for hosting this semi-normal event with lots of precautions for the athletes and others.

slider11

Medalist
I liked H/B and C/P a lot and I think H/B should have been closer to H/D. H/D´s program does nothing for me. I think it´s boring with annoying wannabe-sexy gestures we´ve seen thousand times before (running her hand through her hair :rolleye: ). I agree the costume doesn´t help ;)
I have to agree that although I think Hubbell and Donahue are powerful, the frequent use of grindy music and themes are monotonous. I tend to tune-out mid way through the program.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I think that has to be one of the best short dance performances Hawayek/Baker have had. I've never seen them look quite so clean and sharp. They're a few years into the Montreal coaching team and I suspect it's really starting to pay off, especially in Kaitlin's strength.

Carreira/Ponomarenko were better than Green/Parsons yesterday, definitely cleaner and smoother. But I can't help but feel much more interested in what G/P are going to do over time. I'll be very interested in the FD tonight. C/P came out ahead in both ISP challenges, but G/P have a better dance IMO.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Madi, please change that dress. It's even worse than Sara Hurtado's one last year during the GP. It makes you look heavy, and I know you are not. It distracted me a lot while watching the RD which actually made me loose touch with the skating quality of them both. I am totally in love with Jean-Luc Baker though. That man can dance... I wouldn't mind seeing him at 'Dancing with the stars'. And Kaitlin definitely is with him on the ride. I always like Christina and Anthony, and I did now. Caroline is so mature for a 17-year-old, and looks really good with Michael. I liked them a lot too. A pity that Lorraine and Anton are still at the start of their partnership. I have good hopes they will improve.