2023 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals: General Info and Pre-game chat

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, notes from the field. I have finally after all these days solved the Mystery of the Missing Lanyards. They are not at the USFS booth and USFS has nothing to do with them.
They are at the SAP concierge booth with the yellow question mark over it. So why, if the arena made them, do they still have to scan tickets? Apparently they are a commemorative thing.

I spoke to the lady at the FOFS booth. Who is going to be there? I say. She heard there is a panel. Doesn’t know who is on it. Doesn’t know what skaters will be there. They are all invited. Doesn’t know where it is, other than somewhere in the SAP center. Doesn’t know what they’re serving. Ok lady you sold me. No seriously I did buy a ticket.
I did get various stickers that I am trying to figure out how to decoratively place on my walker. AAPI, Pride, Black History, Disabled, I believe the other one may be American Indian. Also a new pair of USFS gloves to replace the big pair I have in my bag.

They do not have papers with start orders anymore. You have to scan it with your phone.

So I’m walking with my Walker back to my seat and some nice ladies say “you look like a super fan!” I mean does my Harry Potter hoodie with “I solemnly swear I am up to no good” on the front and “Mischief Managed” on the rear end give it away? No seriously they were very lovely ladies with kids who are on the development team for the first year and they just gushed all over me. Maybe they saw me throwing stuffies to the juniors? I just do not know. Anyway their kids are an intermediate pair training in West Virginia. Yay, I said, I love pairs. So that was fun.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was looking at the start order and noticed that for the LPs, USA still does do a draw instead of going in reverse order... Why? I mean, every other competition does the reverse order....wouldn't it be better to give the skaters a feeling of what it may mean to skate last ?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rusty is the …in arena host is what I think they call him. He’s quite annoying, but it does seem to be very toned down this year. I was not in Nashville but heard horror stories of long country concerts between events. Here they have pretty much been all business, making ice and getting on with things. But I cringe when I look around and see all the empty seats.

I'm not sure why there were horror stories of the mini-concerts in Nashville. I'd think that the long wait between events would be boring as heck without some sort of entertainment.

What do people normally do? Sit quietly in their seats for hours and stare at empty ice? If they get up and move around the concourse, did Nashville not let them do that?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was looking at the start order and noticed that for the LPs, USA still does do a draw instead of going in reverse order... Why? I mean, every other competition does the reverse order....wouldn't it be better to give the skaters a feeling of what it may mean to skate last ?
I think it's odd, too, and I wonder why they still do that.

Of course, I still wonder about the whole pewter medal thing. I guess it's all about tradition, doing things the USFSA way.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think it's odd, too, and I wonder why they still do that.

Of course, I still wonder about the whole pewter medal thing. I guess it's all about tradition, doing things the USFSA way.
tradition is a big deal in the usa right? they kept 6.0 scoring at some home events probably longer than anyone ... anyways... wildly strange...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The pewter medal, so I was told, was instituted because regionals and sectionals all had, at that time, 4 places that advanced to the next round. and the fourth place person likes getting a medal.

They do a random draw within flights. I have no clue why, although I do know people who think that is more fair, and others who think it is more exciting that way.

I just wish they would use the same format results tables as the ISU.

I wish Skate Canada would cease having so much stuff in pdf files, too.

USFSA is not the only overly traditional federation.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
tradition is a big deal in the usa right? they kept 6.0 scoring at some home events probably longer than anyone ... anyways... wildly strange...
In some ways, USFSA is ultra traditional, as in the things we've mentioned.

In other ways, they're breaking the mold. Outreach efforts to bring skating to minority communities is one example.

I think the whole Rusty thing is one way they're trying for audience engagement. Maybe it's working, even though I don't enjoy it. Of course, contributors to this forum are not their target market with this sort of thing. They've already got us.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In some ways, USFSA is ultra traditional, as in the things we've mentioned.

In other ways, they're breaking the mold. Outreach efforts to bring skating to minority communities is one example.

I think the whole Rusty thing is one way they're trying for audience engagement. Maybe it's working, even though I don't enjoy it. Of course, contributors to this forum are not their target market with this sort of thing. They've already got us.
No

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFS does a lot of things differently. As for why…I have no idea

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there a thread for US Nationals Sr Free Dance? I don't want to start one in case I am just overlooking it somehow.

I was looking for one too, I don't see it. Now I'm late for resurfacing the ice! LOL

solecism-t_rex.gif

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Free Dance
1 Angela Ling and Caleb Wein
2 Caroline Dipietri and TJ Carey
3 Cara Murphy and Josh Levitt
4 Leah Krauskopf and YuanShi Jin

5 Oona Brown and Gage Brown
6 Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov
7 Eva Pate and Logan Bye
8 Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen
9 Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville

10 Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
11 Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov
12 Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
13 Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
14 Madison Chock and Evan Bates

PS There is a rewatch thread for US Nationals. Not everybody there but enough.

sk8dc

On the Ice
While waiting for se Free dance thread - what causes negative GOEs in Choreographic stepx? Even tho thry go board to board?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure why there were horror stories of the mini-concerts in Nashville. I'd think that the long wait between events would be boring as heck without some sort of entertainment.

What do people normally do? Sit quietly in their seats for hours and stare at empty ice? If they get up and move around the concourse, did Nashville not let them do that?
At this one there haven’t been horribly long waits between events. I think last night was 30 or 45 minutes? Enough for me to trundle around the concourse, use the restroom, buy FOFS tickets, and speak to a few nice ladies in the concourse and that was it.

The worst thing I’ve ever seen them do is have 2 pairs skate at some ungodly hour in the morning and have the rest of the pairs skate literally hours later. Way to say “your skating matters” USFS

auser

Record Breaker
Free Dance
1 Angela Ling and Caleb Wein
2 Caroline Dipietri and TJ Carey
3 Cara Murphy and Josh Levitt
4 Leah Krauskopf and YuanShi Jin

5 Oona Brown and Gage Brown
6 Isabella Flores and Ivan Desyatov
7 Eva Pate and Logan Bye
8 Katarina Wolfkostin and Jeffrey Chen
9 Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville

10 Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
11 Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov
12 Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
13 Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
14 Madison Chock and Evan Bates

PS There is a rewatch thread for US Nationals. Not everybody there but enough.
Thank you for all your work with Rewatch threads and for this post. :thank:

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice last competitive skate for Caroline Dipietri and TJ Carey as they are ending their partnership