Athletes View on 10 AM competition | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Athletes View on 10 AM competition

Eclair

Medalist
To be honest, I wasn't sure what you were getting at when you were pointing out the time equivalent. So, I probably did interpret it a different way to what you intended.

Sorry about that.

Although, I still don't think there were be many North American skaters who could keep to their regular sleeping pattern if they were in the final group in a competition that started at 8pm and finished around midnight...

CaroLiza_fan

probably not, but I find all this talk about how early the competition was a little bit questionable, especially since the North Americans all arrived only like 2-3 days prior to the competition - it's not likely they had the North American time zone sleep schedule, then changed it to South Korean time zone sleep schedule in those 2 days and then changed it back to early competition sleep schedule on the day of the competition ...

on the other hand, it's more like they had the North American time zone sleep schedule, then came to South Korea and tried to keep that sleep schedule as it fits perfectly with the 10am competition ...

GGFan

Record Breaker
Just a couple thoughts:

1. I don't like that money determines start times. I would prefer the schedule to run normally and let the chips falls where they may.

2. However, it is not new. They swam in the morning in Beijing so we could watch it in prime time in the United States.

3. There was plenty of notice. In 2008 the swimmers geared their training toward competing in the morning. Figure skaters could have done the same.

pearly

Record Breaker
I honestly don't see the problem. In the lower levels of USFSA and ISI competition, competitors (both kids and adults) routinely have ridiculously early start times in order to get everyone time on the ice for a single-day competition. I've definitely had many competition/travel-to-competition-and-then-compete days that started at 5 AM or earlier.

We're in the Olympics doing Olympic level content and presentation.

10 am in Korea is 8 p.m in the US. That's around the time US nationals were. And there nobody complained about the time.
North American skaters don't even have to change their sleep schedule for it, while for European skaters it's in the middle of the night.

This is the Olympics and the schedule was known for weeks if not months. Enough time to get accustomed to. Maybe some skaters should have gone to 4cc more often to practice skating in another time zone.

You're saying sleep during the day, wake up at 10 pm and do your thing?

As a skater who's done Worlds, I dismiss these. Luckily not all skaters would, but here we are discussing people who said they struggled with the schedule. I get that not everyone was affected, but those who say they were - it is real.

All of us started with 6 am practices and 4, 5 am wake ups to get to those. I knew girls who woke up at 3 am to drive to practice. However when you get to a certain level - last group at Worlds type of level - you no longer have to do that. Your body starts working differently.

All of the skaters here have been training and trying to adjust to this schedule for months. No one came to Korea and only then looked at the start times. But for some it didn't work. It takes a while to change your routine and with some elements - like quads - you have to be very careful.

Athletes should come first and here they didn't. Luckily those in medal contention will still skate at a later hour in their individual events. Those not likely to medal - tough luck, hope you're ready.

Eclair

Medalist

As a skater who's done Worlds, I dismiss these. Luckily not all skaters would, but here we are discussing people who said they struggled with the schedule. I get that not everyone was affected, but those who say they were - it is real.

All of us started with 6 am practices and 4, 5 am wake ups to get to those. I knew girls who woke up at 3 am to drive to practice. However when you get to a certain level - last group at Worlds type of level - you no longer have to do that. Your body starts working differently.

All of the skaters here have been training and trying to adjust to this schedule for months. No one came to Korea and only then looked at the start times. But for some it didn't work. It takes a while to change your routine and with some elements - like quads - you have to be very careful.

Athletes should come first and here they didn't. Luckily those in medal contention will still skate at a later hour in their individual events. Those not likely to medal - tough luck, hope you're ready.

But that's my point. North American skaters didn't even have to change their routine much, as 10am in Korea is 8pm in North America. It being on prime-time in the US/Canada should be a advantage for them, not a disadvantage as they don't have to acclimate to time zone changes as much as they would have if the competition were to start at 3pm in Korea.

waking up at 3 am Korean time is like waking up at 1pm in North America. Should be doable. Going to practices at 5 am Korean time equals going to practice at 3pm North American time. Competition at 10 am Korean time = competition is at 8pm US/Canadian time.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think the problem isn't that it's so early, the problem is that NBC is disregarding what's most beneficial for the skaters in order to get "primetime TV" but then doesn't even respect the skaters whose schedules so drastically are changing to accommodate this enough to air their performances on TV. It's all Nathan Chen, Bradie Tennell, Mirai Nagasu, etc. Which is great for people who only like them but come on, show some respect for every skater, please. A commercial or discussion of how it's been 20 years since Tara Lipinski won the OGM is never, NEVER, more important than the actual skating going on

Also: Zhenya and Alina have discussed how even a 200-300g difference in weight affects their skating. I'd imagine there'd be a similar thing with time

seabm7

Final Flight
But that's my point. North American skaters didn't even have to change their routine much, as 10am in Korea is 8pm in North America. It being on prime-time in the US/Canada should be a advantage for them, not a disadvantage as they don't have to acclimate to time zone changes as much as they would have if the competition were to start at 3pm in Korea.

waking up at 3 am Korean time is like waking up at 1pm in North America. Should be doable. Going to practices at 5 am Korean time equals going to practice at 3pm North American time. Competition at 10 am Korean time = competition is at 8pm US/Canadian time.

But this means the ice rink should be open during the night to accomodate the Olympic-bound skaters, at least severeal weeks right before the Olympic games. I do not think NA rinks allow this, due to the security reasons.

pearly

Record Breaker

And I wrote that that would mean sleep during the day and wake up at 10 pm and I see how that also does not work for athletes.

Eclair

Medalist
But this means the ice rink should be open during the night to accomodate the Olympic-bound skaters, at least severeal weeks right before the Olympic games. I do not think NA rinks allow this, due to the security reasons.

And I wrote that that would mean sleep during the day and wake up at 10 pm and I see how that also does not work for athletes.

someone talked about the practice schedule in Korea and about skaters being on Instagram at 2am and that skaters had their practices at 6 am in Korean time - so the practice rink was open then.
Also most of North American teams arrived only 2-3 days prior to the competition day - so it would be no problem to get up at 1pm in the US/Canada and practice at 3 pm, do a run-through at 7 pm. Then for the 2 days they were in Korea, I assumed the practice rinks were open in the morning.

I'd not suggest them to wake up at 10pm Korean time if the competitions and practice is at 6 am/ 10 am, but for those two days the North American team are in Korea prior to the men's competition, I'd think it's not a big deal to wake up at 2 am Korean time, which = sleeping in in US/Canadian time.

Barb

Record Breaker

I have read and seen pictures some skaters during the night at the rink, especially for choreo programs. I guess if an ice rink have skaters competing at the Olympics, they could facilitate them the ice at night as preparation.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
one could argue, that Kolyada had to adjust to the different time zone, as 10 am in Korea is like in the middle of the night in Europe. But to be honest, I think he is just not a very consistent skater, no matter what time ...

That was the whole purpose of the Russian team going to Japan early, to adapt. And you see that all the rest of the Russian skaters did their job just fine.

LadyB

Record Breaker
It's an early morning start because TV big bosses put the money on the table so that their viewers can have a convenient time to watch it. No respect for the skaters.
They are all used to practise by the crack of dawn, but not seriously competing. I can't find the source right now, but I totally vouch for Nina Mozer said some months ago in an interview 'the winners are the ones that are awake." It cracked me up at the time, but it's actually not really funny. Changing all their practice routines, and even more so getting into competitive mode, must be messing with their systems.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Nathan was quoted as saying that at home he started practice at 10:00 am but didn’t warm up at 6:00 am. To me that doesn’t sound like his training schedule was adjusted much - it sounds like he was doing what he always does. That’s not a criticism, simply an observation.

Also, I’m not sure what your point is regarding the fact that elite skaters no longer have to rise as early as they did when they were just starting out - I mean if the end result is important to you, don’t you just do what you have to do, no matter what your level?

pearly

Record Breaker
Nathan was quoted as saying that at home he started practice at 10:00 am but didn’t warm up at 6:00 am. To me that doesn’t sound like his training schedule was adjusted much - it sounds like he was doing what he always does. That’s not a criticism, simply an observation.

Also, I’m not sure what your point is regarding the fact that elite skaters no longer have to rise as early as they did when they were just starting out - I mean if the end result is important to you, don’t you just do what you have to do, no matter what your level?

My point is that the arguments "ISI competitions start at 5 am" or "at my rink skaters practice from 6 am" are general observations and not grounds for a well informed discussion.

LadyB's post above is down to the point and that is the main issue here. It all makes me roll my eyes even more when I read that NBC isn't really showing other skaters, but is using their time for commercials and fluff pieces.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
What I don't really understand here is:

Why the constant argument with the American skaters? I might understand the time issue with them - even if I still think its silly that NBC gets that much power over starting times.

But American/Canadian skaters aren't the only ones out there?

What about the Russians? All other European skaters for who the competitions are seemingly at 1am/2am? I mean come on people argue what you want that Nathan should have adjusted his schedule or something but its still ridiculous to forget that maybe the Americans aren't the only team out there?

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
This is like a huge b1tch slap on NBC's face, and thank you Nathan for revealing that NBC knows nothing about the sport and they should really not broadcast any figure skating anymore. Bad schedule, always not live, WORST commentators.

Eclair

Medalist

What I don't really understand here is:

Why the constant argument with the American skaters? I might understand the time issue with them - even if I still think its silly that NBC gets that much power over starting times.

But American/Canadian skaters aren't the only ones out there?

What about the Russians? All other European skaters for who the competitions are seemingly at 1am/2am? I mean come on people argue what you want that Nathan should have adjusted his schedule or something but its still ridiculous to forget that maybe the Americans aren't the only team out there?

none of Kolyada, Bychenko, Shoma, Rizzo, Besseghier (btw watch his SP - it's not grand artistry nor clean, but it's extremely funny and original) or Jun Hwa has mentioned the competition time in regards of why their skate went well/ not so well though. Also, on twitter, it's mostly North American media talking about the competition time being too early.

So that's why the talk is mostly about North Americans.

If your point is that TV money should not decide the time of a competition, I generally totally agree with you. If your point is that the men's SP Team Event was so badly skated because the competition was early, then I don't agree.

Spinning

On the Ice
LadyB's post above is down to the point and that is the main issue here. It all makes me roll my eyes even more when I read that NBC isn't really showing other skaters, but is using their time for commercials and fluff pieces.

Since I've been told in the the other thread that the team events are not catered for us die hard fans or athletes but casual viewers, I agree with you wholeheartedly. IOC chirping the slots only for NA networks and obviously not giving a flying care about gaining new fan based. How many European casual viewers are going to watch FS at 2am? And in Asia, right now it is all about Chinese New Year celebrations. I doubt that many casual viewers are watching anything during early morning TBH.....:noshake:

treeloving

Medalist
If they are going to cater a competition schedule to benefit particular type of audience, it should be cater to Japanese audience where rating is guaranteed.

I wonder how many people will watch FS through NBC to be honest.

The best thing is of course to think of Athletes first.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

Then do stimulation training like what the other sports do, seriously.
I'll give an example of a Summer Olympics sports, the one I know : badminton.
There was one year where the venue of the World Championships was at a non air conditioned stadium, in the hot summer heat in France.
What did China do to prepare? Their players trained in the basement to stimulate hot summer heat. Needless to say, that year, China had a clean sweep of all the titles while others were huffing and puffing

olayolay

On the Ice
It's not like the ISU sprung this on them days before the competition. They've known for months (years?) this was going to happen and had ample opportunity to adjust their training regiments accordingly. Making excuses now is stupid.